I only want to roll because classes are too boring

this is proof that bjj guys are like spoil t brats if anything they should be greatful n that bjj is so relaxed in karate you go and do the same shit all the time go over your forms and spar some ect in wrestling you do everything the coach says same as judo

i think the internet has ruined bjj in certain ways in that most white and blue belts here dont seem to even respect there coaches and act like since they bought a keenan dvd that keenans there actual coach and of he doesnt know the new recent bjj fad that he somehow sucks . this wasnt like this 10 years ago

It is absolutely normal, I hate drilling also, but if you want to take it to the next level, drilling and positional sparring is a must.

If your just there to have fun, like most people after certain level, well rolling is all you need.

this is proof that bjj guys are like spoil t brats if anything they should be greatful n that bjj is so relaxed in karate you go and do the same shit all the time go over your forms and spar some ect in wrestling you do everything the coach says same as judo

i think the internet has ruined bjj in certain ways in that most white and blue belts here dont seem to even respect there coaches and act like since they bought a keenan dvd that keenans there actual coach and of he doesnt know the new recent bjj fad that he somehow sucks . this wasnt like this 10 years ago

White and blues should stfu and do what the coach says, purples and up, should be take their development as they pleases, unless they are really training under a world class instructor

I feel the same way sometimes. At this point in my life , i just want a workout. To break a sweat, hang out with old friends, and go home.

Unfortunately almost all my drills and techniques come from the internet too. And I just think of certain positions I suck at and positional spar

you have a selfish and shitty attitude

Six years of training 3-4 days per week through multiple injuries, competing multiple times, teaching classes for free, running open mats = selfish and shitty attitude because I'm tired of drilling. Ok.

Damn white belts and their big mouths. Have a cookie, the grownups are talking here.

Spoiled brats?

Apologize for your disrespect to those of us who have literally bled, broken our bones, torn our muscles, dislocated our fingers and drained blood from our cauliflower ears for Jiu jitsu. You'll never understand what's it's like to be one of us.

I've always felt that 90min is the best length for a class, 2 hour classes can drag on a bit too long.
I understand where you are coming from, especially if classes are generic all levels classes, it can be frustrating to be drilling techniques you either already know well, or know aren't really part of your game.
Why not take a more active role in coaching during the technique portion? (again assuming its a mixed grade class). This can help you develop your understanding of technique in a different way.

Six years of training 3-4 days per week through multiple injuries, competing multiple times, teaching classes for free, running open mats = selfish and shitty attitude because I'm tired of drilling. Ok.

Damn white belts and their big mouths. Have a cookie, the grownups are talking here.
im a brown belt, I have done all those things too, if you don't enjoy drilling then you don't enjoy BJJ, deal with it

part of the process is helping other people and accepting the responsibility of being an upper belt

If you let go of the insults about spoiled brats, you got a point here.

The DVD content right now is awesome, it's complete systems in well structured DVDs which are specialized.

Just last week, I bought the Danaher Kimura DVD, the coach was showing a kimura trap move, Danaher put some emphasis on some detail, that the coach didn't really care about. So I know a little detail that my coach doesn't know. But it's just an illusion, I don't know better, I'm just aware that there's something more, but I never drilled it, I never tested it in live training, my coach did is move for years. Also, it was a basic class, so there's new white belts that he doesn't wish to confuse more with a shit ton of details.

Our coach is super cool and he encourages us to find our style and to try stuff, he helps us all the time and gives us tips after rolling with us, even if you act like a self made man that doesn't use the coach's style or techniques he shows in class.

if you don't enjoy drilling then you don't enjoy BJJ

If you don't enjoy practicing left handed dribbling then you don't enjoy basketball.

Maybe from your point of view, but judging by the comments in this thread I'd say you are in the minority, at least for people similar to me. At 45 with a family and a business to run my time is valuable. I want to have fun rolling and not feel tasked with the chore of drilling. I have enough work to do elsewhere.

im a brown belt, I have done all those things too, if you don't enjoy drilling then you don't enjoy BJJ, deal with it

part of the process is helping other people and accepting the responsibility of being an upper belt

I’m a black belt, and I don’t enjoy drilling.

And, I have fun. Otherwise, I’d quit.

Sure, it’s nice when a senior member wants to foster growth, but people train for different reasons and not everybody has to train the same way or have the same mentality.

No it’s not. Part of what your instructors want you to do is to cater to what they want out of their school. That’s not your responsibility unless you decide to take it on. If they were teaching you for free, that might be different. But it’s incredibly obnoxious for instructors to try culting it up about what a privilege it is for you to pay them tons of money each month and how you need to give back to the school.

As a paying customer, you aren’t obliged to work for your instructor. They are obliged to work for you. If they’re not, then you are being taken advantage of, and unfortunately that is extremely common in martial arts, with its culty tendencies.

It is different with things like judo where often you aren’t paying anything. My monthly judo fees were $25 a month, because it was a non profit run by volunteer teachers. In that situation, I think students do undertake an obligation towards the school. But when the instructors are maximizing revenue as a for-profit? No.

Sure, it’s nice when a senior member wants to foster growth, but people train for different reasons and not everybody has to train the same way or have the same mentality.

This. 100%.

If you don't enjoy practicing left handed dribbling then you don't enjoy basketball.

Maybe from your point of view, but judging by the comments in this thread I'd say you are in the minority, at least for people similar to me. At 45 with a family and a business to run my time is valuable. I want to have fun rolling and not feel tasked with the chore of drilling. I have enough work to do elsewhere.
Don't care how many people agree/disagree, if you think drilling techniques isn't important then I don't really know what else to tell you

you have a shit and selfish attitude that makes you part of the majority outside of BJJ as well, you know are setting a bad example like you mentioned in your post, now you are defensive and want to argue about it and call me a white belt because you think that somehow makes me wrong, have some perspective and be honest with yourself

yeah helping people is nice, that's pretty obvious isn't it, training for selfish reasons is normal, no reason to argue it for no reason just because you don't want to admit that

and not liking to drill is normal as well, people also don't like to exercise and eat healthy and work hard too, not really news

No it’s not. Part of what your instructors want you to do is to cater to what they want out of their school. That’s not your responsibility unless you decide to take it on. If they were teaching you for free, that might be different. But it’s incredibly obnoxious for instructors to try culting it up about what a privilege it is for you to pay them tons of money each month and how you need to give back to the school.

As a paying customer, you aren’t obliged to work for your instructor. They are obliged to work for you. If they’re not, then you are being taken advantage of, and unfortunately that is extremely common in martial arts, with its culty tendencies.

It is different with things like judo where often you aren’t paying anything. My monthly judo fees were $25 a month, because it was a non profit run by volunteer teachers. In that situation, I think students do undertake an obligation towards the school. But when the instructors are maximizing revenue as a for-profit? No.
I come from a wrestling background before BJJ so I have a different perspective maybe, it's not about money it's about caring about the art and helping people who are trying to get better, we always had guys come in who used to wrestle at the school years ago and help for free and they were old with kids, they did it because they were cool ass dudes

I come from a wrestling background before BJJ so I have a different perspective maybe, it's not about money it's about caring about the art and helping people who are trying to get better, we always had guys come in who used to wrestle at the school years ago and help for free and they were old with kids, they did it because they were cool ass dudes

Again I do think it’s different when you are part of a school team, or when the school is run by volunteers. In that case the athletes are often expected to contribute to the team because they aren’t paying a market rate. But if you are paying a market for-profit rate, I think it’s highly inappropriate for instructors to disseminate the idea that you are nonetheless beholden to them and should provide services accordingly. You aren’t obligated to them, and if they try to imply that you are, it’s a problem. Also creepy. You should figure out what you want to get out of BJJ, and go get it.

Sometimes that may include instructing lower belts in basic drilling, if that’s your thing (it is for many people), but if it’s not, that’s not your obligation.

I know that feel. I don’t mind drilling if it is the exact thing I want to drill at the moment, but the «here’s a move or two, let’s drill» got old long ago. Luckily I am in a position where I get to dictate my drilling as long as I let the coach know beforehand. If that wasn’t the case I would skip the first part of practice too.

Lol at TheFightsAREfixed.

Back