I remember when everyone thought it was insane that Randy Couture fought well into his 40s

FlyThaiMMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Now in hindsight it doesn’t seem that big of a deal. Everyone is doing it now

Further proof that HW is stuck in the fucking mud.

It actually isn't as impressive since USADA wasn't around back then.

It actually isn't as impressive since USADA wasn't around back then.

nM.gif

1. He started later then normal.

2. His body wasn't totally destroyed by wrestling not to mention a style that seems to age better.

3. Natural lol.

4. Be sure his best years athletically speaking were behind him.

And got to say @LouisBolanos has a point these advanced ages usually happen in the heavier weight classes.. the lower ones speed, reflexes, cardio, timing are the keys to victory it seems.

Sergeant Couture is still the oldest person to win a fight in the UFC and the oldest person to win a title.

Randy bless.
ufc-hall-of-famer-randy-couture1.jpg

Randy was a great HW not a GOAT but definitely a great. That being said his second run at HW was completely due to TRT and that's a fact.

1. He started later then normal.

2. His body wasn't totally destroyed by wrestling not to mention a style that seems to age better.

3. Natural lol.

4. Be sure his best years athletically speaking were behind him.

And got to say @LouisBolanos has a point these advanced ages usually happen in the heavier weight classes.. the lower ones speed, reflexes, cardio, timing are the keys to victory it seems.

Honestly it can go both ways, if you depend more on speed then the lack of it can be a bigger handicap at HW due to the greater power your facing.

Mirko for example could I think have stayed relevant for a good deal longer if he were a MW but you had fights like Nelson and Schuab were getting caught once was enough.

I personally believe that respect from the fans & even cementing your legacy by fighting in your 40s isn’t worth the extra blunt force trauma to the head & shorter life as a result. I mean it’s worth it for a while when you’re young but when you have brain damage and develop mental illnesses I can imagine you will regret not getting out sooner, I don’t understand why some fighters don’t acknowledge this fully, maybe it’s because they can’t imagine not doing the thing they’ve been working on their entire life but I mean f*ck me 40 is too old to be in most sports especially a sport such as this, idk

Enson>couture

I personally believe that respect from the fans & even cementing your legacy by fighting in your 40s isn’t worth the extra blunt force trauma to the head & shorter life as a result. I mean it’s worth it for a while when you’re young but when you have brain damage and develop mental illnesses I can imagine you will regret not getting out sooner, I don’t understand why some fighters don’t acknowledge this fully, maybe it’s because they can’t imagine not doing the thing they’ve been working on their entire life but I mean f*ck me 40 is too old to be in most sports especially a sport such as this, idk

Quality of life > quantity of life.

These guys get paid doing what they love. I can easily see why they are willing to risk their health to maintain that.

Hell, office jobs are unbelievably terrible for our health. Yet people still do it because the pay is good. Same concept imo, well not really because most people don’t love their office job

Back