I remember when I thought Carlos Condit...

Condit was a pretty decent fighter with some fun fights but is ultimately a victim of his weirdly emotionally-attached fans' expectations.

Condit WAS once one of the best WW on the planet for a multi-year period. Father time and fight miles eventually humble everyone. Condit of 2018 isn't Condit at his peak just like Anderson Silva of 2018 isn't the Spyder of his prime. Father Time is unbeaten and untied and generally a cruel bastard which is why you want to quit a sport like MMA before you slide much. In tennis if you get beat 6-0, 6-0 and 6-0 you don't end up in the hospital or get your brain rattled...

...was as good as they come. Cream of the crop. I legit thought he would give Woodley big problems.

Lol, I can only admit now that I was the idiot. :(

Looks like I overestimated the guy after his fights with Rory and Hendricks, where he gave me the impression of being tough as nails and highly skilled. WHO woulda thunk!
He was awesome back in the day, very aggressive with multiple violent finishes. He hasn't declined that much.

He is 33 turning 34 in 12 days, nearly gave up the sport, been fighting for 16 years and has had over 40 fights. Of course he is out of his prime.

This ^^^ right here mma is not a sport where you can just hop back in after a long pause especially fighting the competition level where he got off at. Oliveria is not a fighter where you get back in the heat of action with

Haha, it still happened so sudden to me though... He had just avenged his loss to Kampmann, via a great knee game. This at age 29.

But since then nothing has worked out for him. It sucks.

He’s suffering from CTE brother. By his own admission. That affects coordination, reaction time, stamina, chin, etc.

He has an insane amount of mileage.

He tried to retire, but can’t afford it.

What do you expect from the guy?

That's a bit obtuse, in fact Condit was an elite fighter (You were right).Sometimes , in this sport- you just lose several steps just like that and Carlos has put alot of MMA mileage on his career. It happens.....sometimes it's mental.When Maia finished him in the manner in which he did- something mental went ' cross' in Condits mind. He looks in mirror and doesn't see a top 10 fighter and thats why I don't think we'll see Condit fight again.
I think getting shafted on what should have been a belt winning decision over Lawler in early 2016 really affected Condit mentally. I think the grind and damage as an older fighter no longer seemed worth the sacrifice. He went into his next fight vs. Maia very flat and lost that fight quickly. Condit has lost ALL 3 fights since the Lawler decision. When you are fighting the best in the world, you really need to believe (highly confident in yourself and outcome). Condit isn't all there mentally and as an older fighter who is also fighting against Father Time this is a tough place...I think Condit should exit rather than stick around for a few extra paychecks.

Hard to watch the decline of Carlos had the opportunity to meet and talk with the man at a mma expo some years ago talked like two guys who loved fighting, talked for so long the booth sponsor had to shooo me along. Carlos can't fight high level WW's anymore...

I never saw him as someone who would dominate the division, given how prone he is to surrendering takedowns and dominant position, but he was a phenomenal fighter who finished a ton of great competitors. Let's just leave it at that.
Makes you wonder if the new crop of fighters and just that much better. Think of the trouble Carlos gave gsp. Would these new bred fighters give gsp as much trouble?

prime is du
How long do you think a prime lasts? He's been fighting in a cage for 16 years.
e to body growth prime for an adult male in mma is between 29-35 notice alot of guys in mma started doing much better in early t mid 30s vitor belfort robbie lawlor mark hunt tons of older guys who got in the game into early 20s mid 20s who were just decent really took off as they got a bit older and stronger even now theres a huge difference in me from when i was 21 vs now competing

Dude, Carlos doesn't want this anymore and it's been pretty clear for a while. When he was on he was on. Guys decline or lose their fire, or both.

He is phoning it in for the money.
Maia took his soul. It was my fault I requested him to play tools triad off of lateralus. He did so and yeah got tooled.

He has declined a lot.

People were so upset at the Woodley fight saying Condit was going to win. Those posts are kind of funny now.

He is 33 turning 34 in 12 days, nearly gave up the sport, been fighting for 16 years and has had over 40 fights. Of course he is out of his prime.
the same carlos condit from 2007 would be losing the same a she is now due to never developing good takedown defense or working on his strength carlos always gets controlled vs a good grappler the sport has evolved alot i remember 2013 hit and the game changed alot jiu jitsu was very very hard to find in the us even a purple belt was considered a grappling god in 2010 now there are black belts everywhere due to sport growth and the ones who didnt evolve with it were left behind and it was usually the ones who fell in love with brawling like carlos

Makes you wonder if the new crop of fighters and just that much better. Think of the trouble Carlos gave gsp. Would these new bred fighters give gsp as much trouble?

GSP was looking very stiff in his last few WW fights and Condit was still in his best days there. GSP still handled him on the ground.

To answer your question, no, I don't believe so. Who are the new breed, anyway? Tyron has already lost to guys who were never on GSPs level.

It's like Condit's tdd has regressed bad. He was never good at it, but geez man, he's terrible now.

He fought well and had some good moments last night but I think he is there for a paycheck more than anything else at this point.

Exactly. It was his 43rd pro fight.
It’s difficult to watch your favourites decline.
Not to nitpick but I think it was fight number 42, not counting his kick boxing and pro boxing record. Could be wrong though.

Back