I struggle to rate Aaron Pryor

I think it would be fair to rate him just inside or outside the top 100 p4p. I don't think he would've beaten the guys he claims ducked him. I also don't think Ray Leonard ducked him in the pros. Because he didn't. Despite the myth. I think he was an awesome fighter though. Amateurs, I don't know, maybe there was something to that. Black bottle...ehhh. I tend to think Mayweather, ODLH, Pacquiao, probably all had a little something more sophisticated than anything that could've been in Pryor's bottle anyway, but suspicion means little. I bet those are also fighters Pryor would've given hell, btw.

You rate Hatton above him, yet think he'd beat Duran? Wtf??? :D

He is better than Hatton, but wouldn't come close to beating Duran. In fact the only fighters who gave a prime Duran problems were slick, fleet footed boxers with good defence. Any attacking fighter, especially a wild one without particularly good defence, gets eaten alive by Duran.
ever seen his fight vs hector thompson. hector was a murderous body puncher and reputedly broke duran's rips in one of the early rounds. duran stormed back to knock him out in the six or seventh if i remember correctly.

I'm a homer who watched all his fights and I think Pryor was an ATG and nobody wanted any of that. He was a scary motherfucker there for several years. Had his demons with substance abuse, but it will always be "Hawk Time" for me when discussing his status. I used to e-mail with him as recently as several years back. Was living in poverty and training some local kids at the boys club and such. Buddy LaRosa was taking care of him in his last years/decade to make sure he had a place to live and some income, I think.
A viscous, non-stop monster of a fighter with heart for days and a willingness to die in the ring to win and an incredible, non-stop work rate. A rare breed of warrior.
that's great, i always loved Pryor. Well, not at the time of the arguello fight but since. I've emailed him and his wife wrote back. This was maybe 7 years ago. . He and Larosa were on the outs for awhile, he said Larosa was ripping him off, i'm glad that was rectified somewhat in his last days. larosa was still alive the last i checked, he was old as dirt then, it's amazing how the fighters, the men who workout, have to abstain from all things in training seem to never live as long as the managers/promoters/trainers who don't even look in halfway shape to begin with.

Talent and achievement are different things. I think Hatton had a better run.

Duran over 135 was not unbeatable.

The still serious Duran that went on his initial run after moving up to welter, culminating with the brawl in Montreal was pretty close to unbeatable yeah. Just an incredible, all round fighting machine, with skill, stamina, power, speed, craft, and amazing defence for an attacking fighter. SRL is a legit all time pound for pounder, and the two division smaller Duran pretty much dominated him over 15 rounds.

He was a much, much better fighter than Pryor, and would have won comfortably. Pryor would have no size advantage, and basically no advantage anywhere. His only good wins were overwhelming an out of his weight class, past his best Arguello, having sipped from the "special" bottle.

He has to be one of the most overrated fighters of all time, the idea of him beating any of the Fab 4 is absurd.

The still serious Duran that went on his initial run after moving up to welter, culminating with the brawl in Montreal was pretty close to unbeatable yeah. Just an incredible, all round fighting machine, with skill, stamina, power, speed, craft, and amazing defence for an attacking fighter. SRL is a legit all time pound for pounder, and the two division smaller Duran pretty much dominated him over 15 rounds.

He was a much, much better fighter than Pryor, and would have won comfortably. Pryor would have no size advantage, and basically no advantage anywhere. His only good wins were overwhelming an out of his weight class, past his best Arguello, having sipped from the "special" bottle.

He has to be one of the most overrated fighters of all time, the idea of him beating any of the Fab 4 is absurd.
they say he gave hell to ray in sparring, I think he was a great fighter, versatile enough to do the jab and dance routine on duran and give him issues and as i mentioned, a greater volume puncher than anyone since armstrong, that all counts for a lot. Just another fighter who coke ruined in the looking view. Many great talents were done in by the devil's dust. I read he was high when he fought jimmy young. It probably had something to do with his death too, coke ain't too good for the heart.

How do you think a match between Hatton and JCC would go?
Chavez would probably stop him, assuming we're talking a Chavez close to his prime.

Back