I think I might check out this old FOX show Terra Nova. Anyone familiar with it?

Besides Married With Children and House, I can't think of any Fox shows that lasted a long time and kept its quality high.

As soon as the ratings dip, they don't question why viewers are leaving and see the need to improve its quality, the just say 'Fuck it, lets cancel it and put up something new.'

Dark Angel had an awesome 1st season, and they shit the bed with the 2nd season and the ratings tanked.

Rather than viewing what they did wrong and aimed to improve it on the 3rd season, they just cancelled it. Fucking lazy.

I don't watch Fox shows anymore, period.

I'd say that for me the big exception in terms of keeping the quality high is X-Files. It may have stumbled a bit after Duchovny left, but it was pretty consistently entertaining.

I'm not ready to give up on FOX just yet because, like I said, I think that they tend to produce a lot of interesting shows. Their stuff, as a whole, definitely tends to be more daring and imaginative than their network brothers ABC, NBC and CBS. The first seasons of Sleepy Hollow and Wayward Pines, for instance, were as interesting to me as the stuff you'd find on cable.

Hopefully they can figure their shit out and shore up their deficiencies.

The first seasons of Sleepy Hollow

Ah, that's the one recent exception. Really loved that first season, but they increased the episode number for the second season and watered down its quality.

And I really got sick of the show making fun of the main character from the 1770s, as a way to blast the Founding Fathers. Liberals that write these shows always got to find a way to stuff their agenda in there.

Ah, that's the one recent exception. Really loved that first season, but they increased the episode number for the second season and watered down its quality.

And I really got sick of the show making fun of the main character from the 1770s, as a way to blast the Founding Fathers. Liberals that write these shows always got to find a way to stuff their agenda in there.

I can't say I detected any liberal agenda. I think it was just fish out of water humor, and it tended to work for me.

But I agree that the show immediately started going downhill in the second season and I ended up abandoning ship either at the end of that season or somewhere in the middle, I can't remember.

I then later read that. . .

they kill off Abby, and I knew then that I had made the right decision. How the fuck you gonna kill off Abby Mills? That would be like killing off Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon series. You have to have both characters for the show to be complete.

BTW, if you haven't watched the first season of Wayward Pines, you really should do that. Like I said earlier, the show was originally intended to only be a single season so it's pretty self-contained and works well on its own.

I can't say I detected any liberal agenda. I think it was just fish out of water humor, and it tended to work for me.

But I agree that the show immediately started going downhill in the second season and I ended up abandoning ship either at the end of that season or somewhere in the middle, I can't remember.

I then later read that. . .

they kill off Abby, and I knew then that I had made the right decision. How the fuck you gonna kill off Abby Mills? That would be like killing off Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon series. You have to have both characters for the show to be complete.

BTW, if you haven't watched the first season of Wayward Pines, you really should do that. Like I said earlier, the show was originally intended to only be a single season so it's pretty self-contained and works well on its own.

They killed off Abby..... da faq... so glad I stopped watching.

May have to check out the other show sometime.

I've heard that FOX can be quick to cancel shows when they're not performing to expectations.

I've also noticed that when FOX shows DO make it to a season 2, the results are often disappointing. Sleepy Hollow, for instance, had an excellent first season, but the rest of the show is kind of shitty. Same for Wayward Pines, great first season and a completely lackluster second season.

Fox cancels shows that are doing well. They get stupid and put a new show opposite a highly rated show on another network then wonder why they don't get viewers. It's one of the problems of only having 2 hours of prime time each night.

They killed off Abby..... da faq... so glad I stopped watching.

May have to check out the other show sometime.

Yeah, it's fucking retarded. Nicole Beharie worked well with Mison, I thought, and she's a hot little number.

When asked why FOX made the decision to get rid of Abby, the FOX CEO simply said, “It was not a decision that we wanted to make initially. We ended up being put in a situation where that was a decision that needed to be made.”

That's cryptic as fuck. What does that even mean?

I've done some searching to try to figure out why they felt like this was "a decision that needed to be made," but I can't find anything.

Besides Married With Children and House, I can't think of any Fox shows that lasted a long time and kept its quality high.

As soon as the ratings dip, they don't question why viewers are leaving and see the need to improve its quality, the just say 'Fuck it, lets cancel it and put up something new.'

Dark Angel had an awesome 1st season, and they shit the bed with the 2nd season and the ratings tanked.

Rather than viewing what they did wrong and aimed to improve it on the 3rd season, they just cancelled it. Fucking lazy.

I don't watch Fox shows anymore, period.

They moved Dark Angel from Tuesday at 9 to Friday at 8 for the second season. Friday was a bad night for the show's demographic.

Yeah, it's fucking retarded. Nicole Beharie worked well with Mison, I thought, and she's a hot little number.

When asked why FOX made the decision to get rid of Abby, the FOX CEO simply said, “It was not a decision that we wanted to make initially. We ended up being put in a situation where that was a decision that needed to be made.”

I've done some searching to try to figure out why they felt like this was "a decision that needed to be made," but I can't find anything.

Money.

As I've been monitoring this thread I've been continuing to dig. It sounds like Beharie may have wanted to get off the show, presumably to be able to pursue other projects. The strange thing about that though is that she's only had one role since leaving the show--appearing in a remake of Jacob's Ladder--and has nothing else listed on her IMDB page as being in development.

It's an okay series but not that great.

One of my complaints about the show is that they intentionally made the humans' guns pretty much useless against any dinosaurs, like they had a PC agenda going on. So frustrating to watch.

It reminds me of Boston Public, a very good drama on Fox, and the main actress suddenly isn't in the 3rd season.

There was no explanation from the studio, even years later, and in the show an off-handed remark said she moved away.

The show's ratings and quality went to shit afterwards. No respect for their viewers.

And perhaps my favorite sitcom of all time, Titus, was sabatoged by the upper management with constant schedule switches because the star of the show, Christopher Titus called the Fox President out in a meeting for being condescending.

Watch Awake if you want a single season show that actually wrapped up quite nicely considering it was canceled mid season

It's an okay series but not that great.

One of my complaints about the show is that they intentionally made the humans' guns pretty much useless against any dinosaurs, like they had a PC agenda going on. So frustrating to watch.

Interesting. It's got a 71% on RT. @GrizzlyTitan gave it a 6.5. So I'm keeping my expectations tempered and expecting something in the 7ish range.

The premise at least sounds cool and that's what's attracting me here.

i thought Terra Nova was pretty awful. i only watched the first 6 or so episodes, but i thought a lot of the show revolved around some cringeworthy family drama, and didn't have enough else to offer.

the premise seemed cool to me so i was sort of looking forward to it, but i wasn't expecting so much of the show to focus on teen angst and annoying characters.

i wouldn't get my hopes up too much, but maybe you'll be able to get past the stuff that held the show back for me.

Interesting. It's got a 71% on RT. @GrizzlyTitan gave it a 6.5. So I'm keeping my expectations tempered and expecting something in the 7ish range.

The premise at least sounds cool and that's what's attracting me here.
6.5 to 7 sounds about right.

Spielberg cares too much about the dinosaurs to have them get killed by guns. So frustrating.

I watched every episode live while it was airing and followed it in forums etc

I'd rate it 6/10. I only stuck with it because my ex liked it and we watched it together. It was like lost where they kept throwing in unnecessary "mysteries" and subplots that you can tell aren't mapped out and are just there for filler

Not enough dinosaur to subplot ratio

Also some of the special effects like the episode where the guy from avatar was fishing... jesus

Watch Awake if you want a single season show that actually wrapped up quite nicely considering it was canceled mid season

That was a better quality show than terra nova even though TN had a way cooler premise

As I've been monitoring this thread I've been continuing to dig. It sounds like Beharie may have wanted to get off the show, presumably to be able to pursue other projects. The strange thing about that though is that she's only had one role since leaving the show--appearing in a remake of Jacob's Ladder--and has nothing else listed on her IMDB page as being in development.

Shelly Long left Cheers after season 5 to pursue a movie career that didn't go terribly well either. She tried to kill herself in 2004.

David Caruso quit a top rated TV show, NYPD Blue after one season to pursue a movie career that didn't go anywhere. He was lucky to get back into television and have a long run on CSI Miami.

Shelly Long left Cheers after season 5 to pursue a movie career that didn't go terribly well either. She tried to kill herself in 2004.

David Caruso quit a top rated TV show, NYPD Blue after one season to pursue a movie career that didn't go anywhere. He was lucky to get back into television and have a long run on CSI Miami.

Hopefully Beharie lands on her feet, because she's a talented actress.

Out of curiosity I looked Caruso up. That dude hasn't even worked since 2012 it doesn't look like. I wonder what that's all about. He's a big enough name that he should be getting SOME kind of roles.

Hopefully Beharie lands on her feet, because she's a talented actress.

Out of curiosity I looked Caruso up. That dude hasn't even worked since 2012 it doesn't look like. I wonder what that's all about. He's a big enough name that he should be getting SOME kind of roles.

Supposedly he's difficult to work with and he's worth $35 million so he doesn't need to work.

Back