I think I might check out this old FOX show Terra Nova. Anyone familiar with it?

I think it's good. Be prepared for cliffhangers/unanswered questions due to cancelation though

i thought Terra Nova was pretty awful. i only watched the first 6 or so episodes, but i thought a lot of the show revolved around some cringeworthy family drama, and didn't have enough else to offer.

the premise seemed cool to me so i was sort of looking forward to it, but i wasn't expecting so much of the show to focus on teen angst and annoying characters.

i wouldn't get my hopes up too much, but maybe you'll be able to get past the stuff that held the show back for me.

i agree, it reminds me of the complaints about later seasons of walking dead, where its not about zombie survival but became more of a soap opera based on inter-colony politics but rather than focusing on the interesting leaders, theyll dedicate half an episode to drama around a teenage kid, then only give you 5 minutes of dinosaur at the end of the episode

It sucked. It sold itself as a dino show but ended up being a drama with Dino's sprinkled in here and there. They should have made it into a Dino crisis type show.

You seem to be into really obscure shit that never caught on. Check out an old show called Profit, with Adrian Pasdar. Its dated and takes place when "Virtual Reality" graphics were in their infancy. But its a damn good show that was too controversial for it's time. Only aired like 4 or 5 episodes, but theres something like 6 or 7 completed and released. People still talk about it, though.

Seems like Network TV (excluding WB) + Sci-Fi/Fantasy Element = Doomed to fail. Other than Grimm on NBC and Once Upon a Time on ABC, I can't think of anything that fits the criteria recently that has lasted more than a season or two. The Event, Invasion, V, Surface, Jericho, John Doe, etc., etc., It's like a graveyard of shows that I got into, only to be left hanging. It's largely what drove me away from network tv.

i thought Terra Nova was pretty awful. i only watched the first 6 or so episodes, but i thought a lot of the show revolved around some cringeworthy family drama, and didn't have enough else to offer.

the premise seemed cool to me so i was sort of looking forward to it, but i wasn't expecting so much of the show to focus on teen angst and annoying characters.

i wouldn't get my hopes up too much, but maybe you'll be able to get past the stuff that held the show back for me.

i agree, it reminds me of the complaints about later seasons of walking dead, where its not about zombie survival but became more of a soap opera based on inter-colony politics but rather than focusing on the interesting leaders, theyll dedicate half an episode to drama around a teenage kid, then only give you 5 minutes of dinosaur at the end of the episode

It sucked. It sold itself as a dino show but ended up being a drama with Dino's sprinkled in here and there. They should have made it into a Dino crisis type show.

The fact that it's not just action-action-action actually makes it sound more appealing to me.

If the show was nothing but episode after episode of humans fighting dinosaurs I think it would get dull pretty quickly. You have to have a legitimate story at the core of all that or else the shit's going to get boring.

You seem to be into really obscure shit that never caught on.

I think I have a natural affinity for underdogs and also like to shed light on things that deserved more credit than they got.

This time though I was just looking for show a show that only ran for one season, because I want a new show to watch but don't want to have to commit to like four seasons to get through it. I found an article about single-season shows and Terra Nova was on the list.

Check out an old show called Profit, with Adrian Pasdar. Its dated and takes place when "Virtual Reality" graphics were in their infancy. But its a damn good show that was too controversial for it's time. Only aired like 4 or 5 episodes, but theres something like 6 or 7 completed and released. People still talk about it, though.

Can't say I've heard of that one. I'll have to check it out.

Seems like Network TV (excluding WB) + Sci-Fi/Fantasy Element = Doomed to fail. Other than Grimm on NBC and Once Upon a Time on ABC, I can't think of anything that fits the criteria recently that has lasted more than a season or two. The Event, Invasion, V, Surface, Jericho, John Doe, etc., etc., It's like a graveyard of shows that I got into, only to be left hanging. It's largely what drove me away from network tv.

That's an interesting observation. I think I remember Jericho fans launching efforts to try to save the show.

It seems like if networks are going to cancel a show then they either need to A) make the decision in time to produce a finale that wraps up the story in a satisfying way, or B) they should produce a feature-length episode after the end of the final season to make sure the story gets a proper ending.

Fringe was great, imo. Managed to finish everything and did exactly 100 episodes.

That's an interesting observation. I think I remember Jericho fans launching efforts to try to save the show.

It seems like if networks are going to cancel a show then they either need to A) make the decision in time to produce a finale that wraps up the story in a satisfying way, or B) they should produce a feature-length episode after the end of the final season to make sure the story gets a proper ending.

That would be nice. They did actually wrap up Jericho in comic-book form, and I'd be fine with the networks doing something similar in print, whether it be comic or a novel. These days if I see an interesting science fiction premise on a network channel, I just wish that it was on SYFY or WB instead.

Fringe was great, imo. Managed to finish everything and did exactly 100 episodes.

I watched it for a few seasons, moved, then lost track of where I'd left off and never got back into it. I should rectify that.

That would be nice. They did actually wrap up Jericho in comic-book form, and I'd be fine with the networks doing something similar in print, whether it be comic or a novel. These days if I see an interesting science fiction premise on a network channel, I just wish that it was on SYFY or WB instead.

Has SyFy produced even one good show in their entire history?

it was pretty bad. basically sending people back in time to save the earth from over population and pollution? WTF? completely ignoring the fact that a giant astroid and smacks the planet..

yeah this show was dog shit

it was pretty bad. basically sending people back in time to save the earth from over population and pollution? WTF? completely ignoring the fact that a giant astroid and smacks the planet..

yeah this show was dog shit

Well my understanding is that when they go back in time to jumping into a different timeline. . .

The fact that it's not just action-action-action actually makes it sound more appealing to me.

If the show was nothing but episode after episode of humans fighting dinosaurs I think it would get dull pretty quickly. You have to have a legitimate story at the core of all that or else the shit's going to get boring.
but it's about what you supplement the dinosaurs and action with.

i think they could have explored more interesting and unique themes with the setting being a relatively interesting one, but instead they went with cliche family drama with teens struggling to tell other teens they're interested in them and fighting with their parents and siblings. at the end of the day it was still fox network tv, and it definitely felt like it to me.

eh thats retarded, why not a portal to another planet

A lot of shows and movies these days are exploring the "many worlds" hypothesis regarding time travel. It's based on actual scientific theory.

but it's about what you supplement the dinosaurs and action with.

i think they could have explored more interesting and unique themes with the setting being a relatively interesting one, but instead they went with cliche family drama with teens struggling to tell other teens they're interested in them and fighting with their parents and siblings. at the end of the day it was still fox network tv, and it definitely felt like it to me.

I was reading something today that did say one of the show's flaws that it tried to appeal to the under-18 crowd a little too much, so what you're saying is consistent with that.

It sounds like the show probably wasn't all that it could be, but a lot of people seem to think that it was still fairly interesting despite its flaws.

I was reading something today that did say one of the show's flaws that it tried to appeal to the under-18 crowd a little too much, so what you're saying is consistent with that.

It sounds like the show probably wasn't all that it could be, but a lot of people seem to think that it was still fairly interesting despite its flaws.
yeah, it's probably worth checking out, and i'm interested to know what you think if you do watch it.

Back