I tried to answer the question: Is mobile hotspot gaming viable in 2023?

JoeyJoeJoeJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
is mobile hotspot gaming viable in 2023?

Answer: depends on your location, but yes

first of all, what kind of speeds do you really need for gaming? in my opinion, minimum 50mb download / 5+ upload. Preferable 100mb download/10upload+.

This brings me to my initial problem. The internet speed for my current living situation is 30 mb download / 5 upload. It usually runs at 25mb download / 6 upload, as most people know internet speeds vary depending on certain factors.
My connection could not run all my games without lag issues.

I had a 4g lte connection on my phone. speed testing was showing a variable speed 35-50mb download / 6 upload, faster than the speed my landlord had with the internet provider.

I could play games with it through my hotspot, but it was a bit laggy at times.

I had the idea that if I upgraded to a 5g connection it may solve the problem, and actually be viable to game off in 2023.

So, I went and got a gigabit mobile connection with 5g, my phone has the ability to create a 5g hotspot.

I noticed my speedtest was very slow for my new 5g connection, 30mbps/1upload. I went down the street and got 200+mb download / 1 upload.
Why is the upload speed so slow? Not sure. Why was the download speed slow?The answer is distance.

5G connections apparently cant travel very far. Even 1km can make a huge difference in speed, and going 1km away can reduce or increase speeds massively.

However, even at the lower speed listed in the speedtest, I noticed it was rendering youtube videos much faster. It should have been slower based on the speedtest, but it wasn't.

The final test, I tried the games that I played when I was using the same 4g lte connection, with the new 5g connection at 2-4 bars signal strength.

worked pretty smooth, one slight lag in rocket league. Otherwise, decently stable.

Yes you can use mobile 5g hotspots to game off. I've tried a shooter and a racing game, both online multi player games.

Why does this matter? Most people are paying for 2 separate internet connections, one to their home, and one to their phone. Home internet may become a thing of the past as in the near future we will be able to bring strong stable WIFI connections with us through our phones.

Why pay two bills when you only have to pay one? Makes sense for a lot of working class people. It's here now. I no longer need home internet to run my games. Over time data limits are steadily being increased. I have a regular advertised phone plan in my area, the deal is 100gb/month for $50. Most games actually take very little data to run, not including updates. 100gb is actually enough for me to run games and use my phone, without data issues. My plan comes with unlimited reduced speeds after 100gb, but my games just don't take enough Data for that to be an issue.

Just a little info for anyone who has thought about this. My phone is a samsung s23.

When 6G comes out, or better, this will only create even stronger signals, and make it even easier.

Home internet is going to become far less popular in the near future as people will only need one connection, and it makes sense for it to be the phone that can travel with you

Last edited:
is mobile hotspot gaming viable in 2023?

Answer: depends on your location, but yes

first of all, what kind of speeds do you really need for gaming? in my opinion, minimum 50mb download / 5+ upload. Preferable 100mb download/10upload+.

This brings me to my initial problem. The internet speed for my current living situation is 30 mb download / 5 upload. It usually runs at 25mb download / 6 upload, as most people know internet speeds vary depending on certain factors.
My connection could not run all my games without lag issues.

I had a 4g lte connection on my phone. speed testing was showing a variable speed 35-50mb download / 6 upload, faster than the speed my landlord had with the internet provider.

I could play games with it through my hotspot, but it was a bit laggy at times.

I had the idea that if I upgraded to a 5g connection it may solve the problem, and actually be viable to game off in 2023.

So, I went and got a gigabit mobile connection with 5g, my phone has the ability to create a 5g hotspot.

I noticed my speedtest was very slow for my new 5g connection, 30mbps/1upload. I went down the street and got 200+mb download / 1 upload.
Why is the upload speed so slow? Not sure. Why was the download speed slow?The answer is distance.

5G connections apparently cant travel very far. Even 1km can make a huge difference in speed, and going 1km away can reduce or increase speeds massively.

However, even at the lower speed listed in the speedtest, I noticed it was rendering youtube videos much faster. It should have been slower based on the speedtest, but it wasn't.

The final test, I tried the games that I played when I was using the same 4g lte connection, with the new 5g connection at 2-4 bars signal strength.

worked pretty smooth, one slight lag in rocket league. Otherwise, decently stable.

Yes you can use mobile 5g hotspots to game off. I've tried a shooter and a racing game, both online multi player games.

Why does this matter? Most people are paying for 2 separate internet connections, one to their home, and one to their phone. Home internet may become a thing of the past as in the near future we will be able to bring strong stable WIFI connections with us through our phones.

Why pay two bills when you only have to pay one? Makes sense for a lot of working class people. It's here now. I no longer need home internet to run my games. Over time data limits are steadily being increased. I have a regular advertised phone plan in my area, the deal is 100gb/month for $50. Most games actually take very little data to run, not including updates. 100gb is actually enough for me to run games and use my phone, without data issues. My plan comes with unlimited reduced speeds after 100gb, but my games just don't take enough Data for that to be an issue.

Just a little info for anyone who has thought about this. My phone is a samsung s23.

When 6G comes out, or better, this will only create even stronger signals, and make it even easier.

Home internet is going to become far less popular in the near future as people will only need one connection, and it makes sense for it to be the phone that can travel with you
Isn't 2024?

I see home internet fading out the way home phones did. Why have a home internet that you can't bring with you, rather than your own personal internet that can travel with you anywhere you go. As technology continues to advance this technology becomes more and more viable. More stable connections and faster speeds with advancing hardware and stronger signals, no more need for hard cable lines in to the home at all.

I'd guess the mobile device would get extremely hot fast. Would need a big heatsink.

Negative. No excessive heat from broadcasting the wifi signal
When I used iPod Touch connected to HDTV to watch ONE FC live, it would get super hot until I started putting it on big aluminum laptop stand as a heatsink.

What's up Joey.... Man I haven't seen you since last year.

Obviously you don’t play StarCraft at a high level if you think mobile hotspots are good enough to game on

Back