I want to start playing Golf. Where do I start?

HatchetHarry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where should I buy clubs? I’m thinking like $2k to buy my first set. I’ve only ever hit golf balls once behind a fire station and everyone said my form was shit.

Play disc golf, its more fun.

Fuck that $2k shit get a 7 and 9 iron and a sand wedge and a putter and hit a par 3 about 40 times

I was on the golf team in HS and still have more fun playing par 3's than any tournament I played back then

EDIT: I gotta add that I had a full set from my grandpa and I still worked a par 5 pretty decently. But the 7 and 9 iron plus the sand wedge and putter lasted me almost 20 years.

Last edited:
Mini golf >>>>>>>>>>

Fuck that $2k shit get a 7 and 9 iron and a sand wedge and a putter and hit a par 3 about 40 times

I was on the golf team in HS and still have more fun playing par 3's than any tournament I played back then
This. Start with the basic clubs and learn them.

what this man said. get a driver too and hit a driving range. clean up your form then hit the links.

Don't spend more than maybe $200 on a starter set until you get the hang of it and figure out if it's for you or not. I've been playing since I was 12 and I don't think my entire set was more than $2000 and I'm a decent player...or was anyway.

Don't spend 2k on clubs. You are going to completely suck when you first start and you should just get a decent set at first because having nice clubs won't make you any better.

Golf is an incredibly fun game but just as frustrating at the same time. Go out and play, have fun, but just know that you won't improve much without hitting the range to chip and putt. Golf is expensive but you can chip and putt for free at a local course and that's what's going to improve your score. Not ego hitting with your driver and completely swinging out of your shoes..

Most importantly have fun. That's what's it's all about. Just get some decent clubs, don't break the bank

Golf is the funnest sport ever.

But do yourself a favor.

You don't need more than 1300/1400 to get set well. Probably less. Buy a set of irons for 700. Then you can probably buy a set of fairway woods for 200-300. Your biggest expense will be a decent driver. But you can get one a couple of years old (though new still) for another couple of hundred. Then buy a gently used putter and gap wedge for under 150 combined. The last of your expenses is some good golf shoes and a couple of golf shirts, pants and caps.

Finally, save yourself years of pain by getting 3 - 10 golf lessons by a certified golf pro. Then practice some on the driving range. Finally, get out on a course with some patient players and enjoy!

Also, there are a plethora of good YouTube videos to learn the nuances without paying for it.

My suggestion would be, don't spend that $2000 on clubs and get a decent starter set and spend the rest(hopefully most of the money) on lessons. It's better to get the lessons when you're starting out than trying to fix the bad habits you'll develop on your own. Hopefully the person who gives you lessons(if you decide you want any) will stress things like the 'proper' grip, shoulder and knee alignment, things like that.

And if you want to get good spend a lot of time in the practice area working on your putting and chipping. That will pay more dividends than pounding ball after ball on the driving range.

Get a few basic second hand clubs and have a few lessons, it's likely you'll change your swing after some lessons. Then get a proper set and get fitted at a golf academy, they'll make sure the clubs are custom to you.

Start at the driving range with someone who knows what they're doing.

There’s a great instructional video called Happy Gilmore you should watch.

Don’t spend 2 grand on a set of clubs if you’ve never played.

I'd buy used on craigslist.

Old 'obby no longer doon it for you, 'Arry?

hatchet-harry.jpg

$2k? Be serious about it. You got to spend at least $5k on a set of clubs are else you're not taking it seriously.

where do you start? You dont, play a real damn sport lol.

Last edited:
Back