I will never surrender

Thx guys. At the moment I am entering the exams phase for this semester and I am just glad that my health, tough not great at the moment, at least stabilized so far that I seem to be able to take part in all my exams as planned. After those are over I can go back to finding a longer term solution for the health issues.
What this disease really taught me is to choose my battles. Oftentimes you just have to temporarily accept some bad stuff and really stop thinking about it so it doesn't take up any energy so you can attack something else with all you have. If you have the choice don'T start too many battles at once but instead bring the few you have to an end and then start new ones.
Same old in training: Fatloss, better deadlift, better squat, better bench, better condition, training to be able to do skill xy all at once... not gonna happen. Having the skill to maintain your abilities with as little work as possible gives you much more room to really attack certain things (like boosting the deadlift ot whatever). A good and well known example would be the 400m sprint done from time to time as a very efficient way to maintain a decent cardio and low bodyfat or some very low volume deadlift pulling/squating to maintain strength and thus be able to invest lots of energy and time into e.g. learning a handstand.

Thx guys. At the moment I am entering the exams phase for this semester and I am just glad that my health, tough not great at the moment, at least stabilized so far that I seem to be able to take part in all my exams as planned. After those are over I can go back to finding a longer term solution for the health issues.
What this disease really taught me is to choose my battles. Oftentimes you just have to temporarily accept some bad stuff and really stop thinking about it so it doesn't take up any energy so you can attack something else with all you have. If you have the choice don'T start too many battles at once but instead bring the few you have to an end and then start new ones.
Same old in training: Fatloss, better deadlift, better squat, better bench, better condition, training to be able to do skill xy all at once... not gonna happen. Having the skill to maintain your abilities with as little work as possible gives you much more room to really attack certain things (like boosting the deadlift ot whatever). A good and well known example would be the 400m sprint done from time to time as a very efficient way to maintain a decent cardio and low bodyfat or some very low volume deadlift pulling/squating to maintain strength and thus be able to invest lots of energy and time into e.g. learning a handstand.

i feel ya bro. i got UC also, first started my 3rd year of college. i was very stressed making the grades and eventually i guess the stress got to me, but if lifting makes you happy it might even help you maintain remission (seems to me like lifting is your stress relief)...just try not to exert too much physical/mechanical stress on your body (i.e. lift within your limits, proper technique, dont grunt and groan and hold your breathe, etc).

for me doing cardio is a great stress relief, I put in some ear phones and some music I like and run for miles. when i feel like giving up i just keep pushing till I meet my goal. used to do 6 minute miles before when i ran more, trying to get there again. as for lifting you seem way better at it then I was... i did a steroid cycle and gained 15 lbs of muscle but when i got off the cycle i lost it and am back to square 1 lol (which i dont mind, the extra weight brought up my blood pressure and made me inflexible).

anyways nice to read an inspiring story from someone with UC, know that you aren't alone. I work full time (one of the reason I don't work out much anymore) and I also am a 2nd year doctoral student (which is stressful as fuck), so my life is pretty much nonstop stress, but reading stuff like this helps me get by. im at work right now actually, but i got a few minutes to relax since nothing is going on.

also bro if you are in a current exacerbation ever you need to stop lifting until you're back in remission.... if you are shitting blood 20 times a day and everytime you eat it goes right through you within 20 mins then you aren't going to be making any gains, and even keeping your current gains will be very difficult. relax and take care of yourself when sick, and when better beast out :) i personally take asacol to maintain remission, supposed to be taking 1.6g 3x a day (or twelve 400 mg tabs a day), but i dont like the high dose to maintain remission because one of the side effects is nephrotoxicity/renal complications (yes i have a medical background lol), so i only take 3-4 a day (1.2-1.6g). works great so far, haven't had an exacerbation since 2009. if acutely ill and actively bleeding/diarrhea you need full dose though keep that in mind. (asacol is brand, generic name is mesalamine, other brand names for mesalamine are canasa, lialda, rowasa, etc)

*i do not intend for this to be medical advice, just stating what worked for me medication wise

as for not being active during exacerbations thats just common sense :)

and me... 5'10", 140 lbs, 23 y.o.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Whatever happens we gotta keep this thing in some forum up here and allow a place for updates. Im really glad that buddy hasnt checked in sounds like he has some stuff going on and is busy.
Just read a ton of this beast of a thread- solid gold man thank you Braedy=beast

Hey Graedy:

If you come back to give us another update someday, you'll find that this thread has been locked. There's now a 1000 post limit on threads, logs inlcuded: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/logs-now-locked-1980493/index4.html#post64756909. It wasn't just your log that got locked. :)

I hope that you're doing well.

EDIT: Logs are unlocked again, for now, maybe. Nevermind. :)

Hey guys.
Here is a little update from myself:
I was very busy the last couple of weeks. So my internet time was very limited. Which is actually a very good thing. So this week the new semester has started which for me always means that I have lots of free time. I trained very regulary with a good friend of mine and accomplished some longterm goals (with one of them coming surprisingly easy, but more about that once I have videotaped it).
The J pouch does the good old "sometimes I am absolutelly inflamationfree for many days, and sometimes I tourture you for now reason."
I take my antibiotics, probiotics and painkillers if necessary and just don't care as much.
My right ankle and knee are much better nowadays. The huge improvement started once I switched from Powersquats to olysquats and integrated lots of TKEs and stuff into my routine. So my legs start growing again.
Nurtrtionwise I got myself used to intermittend fasting. I eat 2-3 large meals in the afernoon/evening which fits very good into my lifestyle and my "intestinal situation" ;)
I study, work, train and party. And after my internship as a psychologist in jail I am now sure that, though this internship was very cool, I am definatelly a science geek and thus I keep on working on a career in neuroscience.

"We will never surrender." - Winston Churchill
Despite all odds Nazi Germany got crushed. There is many reasons why, but if England had given up it would have been close to impossible for the US troops to land in France. And so it would have been on the soviet union alone to beat the Nazis.
London got bombarded every night and it seemed like a matter of time until the Nazis start the invasion. Capitulating would have been an obvious choice. Winston Churchill and the UK did not. The rest is history.
Sometimes all you have to do is just clench your teeth untill it hurts and just don't give up.

I will start my new routine on saturday (hopefully).
Its gonna be a 3 day kind of full body spilt.
Lets see how it works.
I will write down everything in KILOS.

Why the title?

Because normally im not supposed to lift anymore. i have a very bad disesease (ulcerative colitis) and have to take high amounts of cortison.
Sometimes i will not be able to train (because of the bloodloss) and sometimes i wont be able to eat properly.
So it will sometimes be on step forward and two steps backward.

But working out and doing sports is hte passion of my life and if i give up on that i give up on myself.

So as Winston Churchill once said:" We will NEVER surrender!"

Hope you are interested.

Good for you. Stay positive, don't give up. Best of luck to you

A little update from my side:

Over the last four weeks I trained 4 times a week doing a classical bodybuilding split.
The good thing is that I now have a trainingspartner for quite some time which makes training so much more fun. He is one of my best friends and we trained at the same time quite often but now decided to train together aka doing the same exercises.
Legday was always hell with 4 sets of 20 on squats followed by 4 sets of RDLs and 4 sets each leg of Bulgarian Split squats with very short rest in between sets.
Anyway... We both put on quite some muscle and increased our workcapacity quite a lot. Now it is back to alternating ring, upper back and arm work on one day and Squats, DL, BP and Press on the other.
We will see how that goes. The weakest link in my "chain to results" is of course still my health. IF it is good I make great progress if it is bad I regress or stagnate.
I noticed that having a healthy training partner who does exactlly the same is a good thing. When I spent some days with major problems with the J pouch and then have my next training session and the weights feel heavy as fuck I of course attribute this to not really eating for some days and getting worn out by the "high toilette time". But if the weights feel heavy for my trainingspartner as well, I know that this is probably because we just trained very hard one or two days ago and feeling worn out is just normal.

Ironcross here I come.

[YT]wIhzHFjNwG4[/YT]

MY brother screwed up the filming so it is just the end of the set. But whatever...
Been doing some flagging after training for quite a while now.
What I found very nice was that I never trained for it. I pretty much just did it.
MAybe I gonna devote some time and energy to it sometime in the future. HAve done over 10 second hold. But over 20 sec would be an impressive feat I think. So something to shoot for.

Last edited:
Well done graedy, good to see you still kicking ass :D

Thx guys. Will post a new vid once I am able to hold it for over 20 sec which should take some practice...

Thx.
As it is finally getting warm here in Germany it is now time to learn to do those on a straight bar aka go outside and do them on the pole of a road sign, Hanibalstyle :)
Other than that we vastly improved our ringsetup in the weightroom and the last time I weighed myself I weighed 88kg which brings me pretty close to my comfortweight of 90kg (about 200lbs). The next project will be the surgery on my right ankle as now everything has been tried and it just not possible without surgery. But shouldn't be too big of a deal. After some healing and such I hope to be able to sprint and jump without major pain again.
So on the list of my lifetime lifting/skill goals there is still lots of things to do. I hope to reach the ironcross, the handstandpushup and get yet a bit closer to the one arm pullup this year. We will see...

Little update from myself:
Had a great month of training in june. Health was at an alltime high and very stable. Could even reduce the antibiotics and get rid of the painmeds. So my studying and training went very well as I was just highly motivated and capable to kick some ass. I trained almost every day doing basic strengthstuff 3 times a week and cardio on the concept 2 rower on the other days.
The last two weeks have been very rough healthwise and thus my training has suffered a bit. As I felt like being on a great PR-run I ignored the decline in health to long and kind of ran myself in the ground. But sleeping through a whole weekend brought me back to live :). Best accomplishments in the last couple of weeks is my 90kg +35kg for three reps on pullups and today I barely missed a 125kg bench which should absolutelly be doable on a better day. NExt week it is time for a two week vacation in Portugal and afterwards the ankle will be fixed and from then "squat" will be my second name ;).

How's it going Graedy? Have you finally finished your studies and started working? Did you go back into neuroscience?

What kind of training are you doing nowadays?

Back