Ians MT and PL log-2

Log looks great man!

You ever thought of doing Overhead Press rather than Military Press?

Also, how are you doing the weighted situps, and where are you holding the weight? I have tried it both on my chest and on my forehead, but have yet to figure out which position is more beneficial.

Lusst said:
Log looks great man!

You ever thought of doing Overhead Press rather than Military Press?

Also, how are you doing the weighted situps, and where are you holding the weight? I have tried it both on my chest and on my forehead, but have yet to figure out which position is more beneficial.

Cheers

Its my new one because some fucker in admin deleted it (from the beginning my my weight traiing up till when this one was started)

The weigthed sit ups now, because the heaviest DB my gym owns is a 30kg, consist of a EZ bar effectively pinned to my throat. I don't do it to the chest because I feel its too close to my pivot point (and the extra leverage when its under my chin works best). I keep my eyes to th ceiling through out the whole movement as well. I have to anchor my feet, btu thats a given.

Describe the overhead press.......my terminology vaires sometimes

Brandon MacRea said:
Hey Ian

Punchout drills, yeah, they're what you've read from Ross Enamait's stuff. Basically, it's a timed interval where you throw non-stop straight punches at full speed/power. Really brutal drill but with some pretty obvious benefits too. You can use them in different ways for different purposes, too, such as:

- shorter punch-out drills can be used to increase speed/explosiveness (i.e. 15-20 seconds) because the shorter duration allows you to EXPLODE through the entire punchout instead of fading in a longer one
- longer punch-out drills can be used for muscular endurance, mental toughness, and conditioning (i.e. 30 seconds+, usually 1 minute, though you can go as long as you're able as long as you're keeping a furious pace). your technique will go to shit but you'll be reaping huge conditioning gains so it's worth it to end a skill session with them to "get the lead out"

I use other punch-out protocols like the 10 x 10 drill. It's pretty simple, you just throw a 10-punch combination (1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2, straight punches because the bag won't swing as much) on the bag/mitts, reset briefly (1-2 seconds MAX - no longer), and repeat 10 times. That is one round. You can do 4-10 rounds (400-1000 punches). This is a good drill because the brief second you get to reset allows you to throw SHARP, crisp, powerful punches throughout the drill instead of sloppier pawing punches that you'd be throwing as a longer punchout progresses.

My trainer has us do what he calls "situational punchouts", which are based around situations you'd face in the ring/cage/whatever where you'd be throwing hard, non-stop punches. This could be when you've got a man hurt, trapped him on the ropes, trying to steal a round, trying to knock out your opponent when you're behind on the cards, etc, and my trainer will construct the punchout to accomodate those circumstances. For example, to finish off a sparring session, he'll have my opponent lean against the ropes and for 1 minute I will have to throw everything I've got, mindful of defense because he'll counter if I falter or show an opening, mixing head and body shots, just never stopping the attack to simulate a situation where I've got someone up against the ropes and hurt. Then once the minute is up, I'll lean on the ropes and my opponent will do the same for me. This drill also teaches you to think under fire as you're sharp-shooting with counter punches and looking for openings while being flurried. We'll repeat this for 10 minutes.

Lastly, sometimes during my more traditional bagwork I throw in small punch-outs throughout the round (usually 3-4). Just little bursts of 30-50 straight punches thrown at eye-level to push myself into the "red zone" if I'm not there yet.

Hope that clears up some punchout stuff man

your log looks great, those burpees between rounds are a killer.

thanks mate for the info

We tend to do shorter stuff like that after each round (the 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1) stuff.....I will incorporate some of that as well for some variation I think

Describe the overhead press.......my terminology vaires sometimes

I'll try to make this as simple as I can.

You are in standing position, and you press a barbell over your head. The bar ends up being directly over your ears, so you have to lean your head back during the rep to allow room for it. I'll see if I can get a video.

.....I do that but in a sitting position....I assumed that was what a MP was???

I may be wrong, but OHP is any kind of press overhead (push press, strict press), while military press is standing with your feet touching eachother (like in the military, hence military press). When your sitting down and overhead pressing it you can call it a seated press.

And with situps, I always did them by placing a plate behind my neck/head. Anyone else?

Ian Coe said:
.....I do that but in a sitting position....I assumed that was what a MP was???

Hehe, yeah man, it is. I always associated Military Press with dumbells. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Yeah, I once stated it was a seating MP...but got lazy and didn't continue saying that in my logs

Thanks for the feedback bizarro. I used to do it like that, but I'm doing 30 or so Kg at the mo so ned something to hold the weights with

25/07/06

MT-mouth guard in from the moment I entered the building to the moment I left
Got there early, 15-20 min skipping with 16oz rope
3 rounds shadow boxing, full technique, stretching in between
Some technique work for equivalent of 4 rounds

Sparring for 45 min. After the first couple of rounds did 10 burpees during the minute off, then managed to forget about them.
After all the sparring did 30 burpees non stop. Not explosive, equivalent to a jog then sprint (not exploding off the ground....a little too fucked)

26/07/06

MT-watford wed

4 rounds shadow boxing, building up to full technique in round 3, close in work round 4. 20 press ups between each round-mouth guard in when I remembered by end of round 1

10, 12, 14, 10 doubles. I sweat liek a bastard so didn't get anything out of this

held for 2 rounds
single, double, triple for 3 and 12 grab knees, push and 6 straight punches . Teeps for 1 min

Held for 2
Either combo witgh jab low and hook 3 low kicks for 3 sets, then 1 2 uppercut, 1 2 hook, 1 2 jab, then 20 uppercuts of varying numbers (ie single, doubles, triples, 4-lrlr). 2-10, 10-2

held for 2
Final round was power singles for 20 and the other person would then spil grip on you while you did round knees. I had fucking olley didn't I. COuldn't stay upright and would have eaten knees. Strong, skilled 'little' fucker.-Had mouth guard in

27/07/06

am-2.5 mile run, with extra 500m (guestimate, 1 lap around the estate) run...attempting to sprint the last 200.
From the time I left to the time I got back, 20m had past. That includes the walk after the run and gasping

pm-MT, took people on the pads, didn't really train. Just got a sweat on

29/07/06

Had yesterday off because needed the rest before sat and next week

MT-mouth guard in until weights
Got there early and did 10ish minutes skipping with heavy rope. No sprints, just fast skipping. Because I was skipping, it was decided everyone would skip for 3 rounds with 1 min rest (baring stretching the calfs and shoulders, I skipped throughout the rest periods).
During the rounds I started doing doubles for sets of 10 and 20, with max 5 normal skips in between, but most of the time for the sets of 10 it was a double, single double single etc for 10.
Held for 3 rounds on the pads
Did 3 rounds, set counter combos mostly, but I got the pad holder to put on belly protector and after a combo would work in body shots, stepping around (foot work) and some arching body shot work. End of round 1 was 10 straight, 10 uper, 10 hook 10 elbows, 2nd was 19 kicks, 3rd was 2 sets of 10 punches (would have been 20 knees, but pad holder with bad back).
4 rounds sparring. First will olly who turned up late, 2, 3, 4 with rookies. Nothing really taxing.
Straight into beast round, either 20 straights, technique with chris, long range elbows and knees, 20 grab knees or block-kicks. After that, 1 min of teeps (3 on left, 1 on right).
That was the end of the session, but I needed some more work

Spent...I don't know, a while on the heavy bag conditioning shins (seem weak based on thailand). I remember doing 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg before I went down to 5's a few times then back up to 10's for a few more times. Got that kick, limp away, kick limp away thing going on for quite a few of those.
Spent some time working on heavy body hooks.
Then worked on the big banana bag and did some combo work. Not really going for conditioning, but good old slow technique work. Did some power rights and 1 2's, slow and power work, getting that fucking right shoulder through.
More shin conditioning

Did russian twists off a roman chair with 10kg, left right is 1, did 10, then did 10 full range un weighted sit ups on the chair. Repeated 3 times. Last set of sit ups were with 20kg weight
Then did 30 full ROM back raises
Then more shin conditioning

I was there all in all 2 1/2 hours

31/07/06

5mg YCL, 200 mg C
Trying out something called cillitine malate

MT
I had a idea last week and tried to do it on tuesday, but anwar couldn't make it. Tried again thursday but I was so fucked I couldn't do it properly. The option was taken away anyway but the god damn thunder storm that started as I drove down to training.
So there I was today eating and he texts me. He fucking wants to do it today, I soon stop eating cause I know what fun it will be.

Get there early and skip for 6 or so minutes. Nice and fast with the 16oz rope. Stretched out my calf (left is painful, not enough to stop me, but till the blood gets in there, it feels off. All the skipping I'm doing I guess, it hits me sometimes) and he finalled turned up.
So, theres a 250m length of road by the gym, at the back of the shops. Stinks to shit out there (grocers). The hill is maybe....25-30* for the most part, it starts out ok and levels off near the top, but the middle 2/3 is fucking steep.

So, 4 laps up and down to warm up then i go first.
Mouth guard in
Jog down, sprint up, when at the top 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1 punches. Did this 5 times. Lyndon and Olley came out and began to piss me off with the 'oh ian, yourmy hero' shit cause they know I hate that shit. Fuckers.
By the 2nd I was cuking in air, by 4 my legs burned and I seriously considered stopping, by 5....when I finished I bent over with the mouth guard in and sucked the air like a bitch. Damn that was fun baby

Then anwar did it. When he was done, we did 2 laps, jogged the first and he wanted to sprint the back up the hill bit. That boy has some damn long legs. I will blame the fact that he didn't have his mouth guard in (double) from the start because 'his stomach didn't feel right all day'

Then we jumped in and did the last 3 rounds of shadow boxing with everyone else (we over ran).
Then 2 rounds simple pad work. Legs just had nothing. First round was just hands (3 shot combo, power work really, mouth guard in). Ended the round with 5 sets of 10 straight punches. 2nd was defense from teeps on both sides (mouth guard in). End of round was 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1 kicks (both sides obviously)
Then 2 rounds sparring, 1st with anwar just hands, 2nd was Olley just legs.
Then I did a round on with anwar and olley jumping in on me (I went first because I was deemed the fittest), then I went out and sparred 2 rookies, me on again for the round and they jumped on, then we jumped on Lyndon (me and Olley while Anwar spared others outside the ring), then me and Anwar on Olley.

Then did a few kicks on the heavy bag for my shins. limping away after 3 9did sets of 10). Some of the cheeky fuckers were telling me to kick it hard, so I invited them to kick it. They slapped it a few times, told me to fuck off and walked away with their mouths shut. But its all in good fun

01/08/06

am- Run-normal distance + 1 500m run (jogged till about half way then ran as fast as my ittle legs would carry me)

pm-PL

Warm up on bike for 5 min, hams killing me for some reason (and that fucking left calf)

Standing MP-
10 with bar
8@40
5@45
5@50
[email protected]
5@55
5@60

BO row (was going to do pull ups, but some poof using the smith machine-need it to hang off)
8@60
3@90
[email protected]
3@95
[email protected]
3@100
1@105

Weighted dips
8@bw
2 sets of 8@12
1 set of 8@14

Full contact twists
8@15
5@30
[email protected]
5@35

Weighted sit ups-on ground, so not a good ROM
20@bw
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Row for 5 min
Stretched

Went home

2/08/06

MT-watford wed

I am fighting it seems in canada now on the 23rd sept, so this high weekly workload will continue for a while me thinks

great log
when you are shadow boxing do you throw kicks as well ?
and what kinda technique do you use
i alwasy feel wierd when i throw kicks with out the bag

Hey Ian, any idea where the show is in Canada? I'd like to come check it out if it's close

jamiejamie6661 said:
great log
when you are shadow boxing do you throw kicks as well ?
and what kinda technique do you use
i alwasy feel wierd when i throw kicks with out the bag

1st round is hands and elbows
2nd is hands elbows and knees (grab and long range)
3rd is everything, but dropping the boxing a bit (just using hands to set up kicks, no single shots, ie doubles, triples)
4th is just inside work (ie hooks, uppercuts, foot work and because it MT, elbows). Lots of head movement.

Brandon MacRea said:
Hey Ian, any idea where the show is in Canada? I'd like to come check it out if it's close

I'm pretty sure its in the guys home town of Calgary (I might have got the spelling wrong for that, sorry if so).

You might have heard of him, Jesse miles.

Purse flights, rules etc are still being sorted, but its looking good so far

I'm getting the promotional photo done on sat to send over

3/08/06

MT
Got there early and was going to do conditioning with anwar so skipped to warm up. He got there late so we couldn't do it at the begining.
So we sparred Kenny for 4 or 5 rounds, I did the first 3 or so by myself, gpt head ache and some whip lasd by round 2. After kenny, anwar went on for 3 3 min round with 3 of us jumping in for 1 min stints (but that varied greatly), then paul went on with everyone jumping in, then me, then kenny then anwar.
Kenny told me a few things and then we just did light sparring and I worked on a few things.

After that with 30 min to go we did the conditioning for the whole class that I came up with
10 teeps, 10 burpees (without jump), then punches (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1)
We did that 6 times. By the 3rd set people were flagging so teeps became 15 and the last set had 15 burpees.

It wasn't enough. I've regarded this as being more active rest then a workout, so we will concentrate on the sprint up the hill like on monday.

Side note: learned a lot with kenny. Also, nose was bleeding heavily by round 2 with him, but it stopped for a bit, then trickled every now and then. My left calf is killing me where I got punished by missing the inside low kick and I think I have whiplash.
Kenny is a old British WBC Pro boxer title holder who took up thai boxing and basically collected medals from different federations. The man has style and although I learn some painful lessons, they were things that will make me a better fighter.

Now I'm going to lay down because the rooms light hurt my eyes, I need to find ice for my nose and keeping my head up is hurting my neck

This is the way life should be kiddies, except no imitations

Back