Ians MT and PL log-2

Ian Coe said:
The man has style and although I learn some painful lessons, they were things that will make me a better fighter.
Did he punched the shit out of you?

Do I have a lot of lurkers on my log.....

I wouldn't so much say punched the shit outta me (he landed out of 18-20 min sparring time, 20 shots..atleast those are the ones I remember :D), but more the way he set them up.

It might have something to do with him being a south paw and me only ever fighting 1 south paw, everyone I train with is orthodox.
But I'm much more of a perfectionist, who just believes he out classed me (the man was WMC champ 5 years before I started training and 7 years before I started MT, so he has some experience on me)

am-PL

Warm up of bicycle for 10min
Had to warm up and get a decent sweat, neck sore as shit and left knee giving me jip from yesterday and when it was initally tagged on monday

Squat
8@60
5@80
5@105
5@110
5@115
4@120
3@125

SLDL
8@60
5@80
5@100
5@105
5@110

Weighted pull ups
5@bw
4 for 3 sets@bw+18

5 min row

05/08/06

MT
3 rounds fast skipping with 16oz rope to warm up (stretched for 30 sec in between rounds, didnt have the whole rest)
Hit pads for a round, hands only (basic clock set up, 12 was 1 technique, 3 another, 6 and 9 others). pyramid punchout, up to 10, 3 sets of 10 then back down
Held
Hit pads with low kicks added (same as with hands, but tweaking so that everything had a low kick at the end). 10 kicks each side
Held
Many many rounds sparring

Basically sparred for hour with anwar, olley and lyndon, then that session finished and me and anwar just freelanced the sparring, not into rounds, just thinking more. Did that for 10 min, had a slight break, then another 10.
Took anwar on pads for 3 rounds
That took me to 2 1/2 hours
Helped take the later class (just watched them spar).
Did some conditioning on heavy bag

Went to the back and did some weights. Full range sit up on roman chair (sets of 15 with 20kg), Back raises (with 10lb weight, sets of 10) and russian twists (3 sets of 10 with a 10...that was getting easy).

Did 3 sets of 10 OHP with something like 70lbs as a warm down (at the time it was on a small bar and I thought it was Kg not lbs on the weights..I was very confused until someone pointed out they are lb weights)

07/08/06

MT
Did the same as last week
Got there early, but anwar went first.
Did 6 laps to warm up with mouth guard in.
7 sets, 1 set being: jog down, sprint up the hill, jab right, jab, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1. Tried to make sure after 2nd set that every last right hand on the punches (ie last on 2, 4, 6 etc) was the hardest I could do. I should have done it like that through out, but after the sprinting and all the other punches, I basically was a pussy.
Then 2 laps to cool anwar off and warm me up, then I did it with mouth guard in.
1 lap straight away down to hill base, then sprinted back up

Joined main session and held pads for 2 rounds
1 round technique with just hands. Ended with 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1 (would have gone more but just holding was an achievement based on the lactic in the shoulders). 10 singles each side
1 round free lancing. Ended with kicks: 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1 both sides

Then my turn

Then spared for 7-8 rounds I guess with rookies, outside of ring, then did 2 rounds in ring. First just boxing with anwar, 2nd was all technique with olley. Just 30s rest with guys in ring, 3 min rounds throughout.

Although for 10 minutes after the sprinting I felt like puking and the shoulders were killing, I feel pretty good (and fucked) during the sparring. The hardest round really was just with anwar and hands. I think we were trying to out chess each other, but because we were so fucked the shots were finding their mark a bit too well and a bit too powerfully. But fuck it was fun

08/08/06

am- PL

rowed for 5 min to warm up

OHP
8@bar
5@40
5@50
[email protected]
5@55
4@65
[email protected]

Skipped BO row because of injury from training

GM
8@60
8@80
8@95

Weighted sit ups
10@bw
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Its off the ground, so the ROM is shit, hence the 'big' numbers

Full contact twist

[email protected]
2 sets of 12@25

Dips
8@bw
3 sets of 5@22

rowed for 5min

pm-

MT
Just lots of pad work
Got there early and skipped with heavy rope to warm up, maybe.....4 rounds. Did 1 then stretched, the continuous (was a bit longer then equal to 4 rounds due to going at same time as pad people from previous session)

So how exactly do you do those weighted sit-ups? How do you hold the weight?

Right, how I do them

Get a EZ bar, load it up
Lie on the ground and achor your feet
Grip EZ bar with overhand grip, close togther and hold to throat

Proceed to sit up

10/08/06

am-Run, 3 laps of field, just easy run

pm-got there, was going to do hill sprints, but no anwar and when I got there chris was beating up al.
So.....he asks if I can spar if I'm warm, sure, what the fuck.
Proceeded to have a 7 round war with him. Got dropped with a kick in 35s from the end of the first round when I was still cold and he'd been sparing for 5 rounds previous. T ell you what, a mid kick from a 120kg guy on the liver hurts. Took me the 30s to break again and the full min rest to get ready for the rest of the rounds
Yeah, it was a war, fun, but we both got silly.
After 7 I went to clear my nose (the blood was getting on my nerves, it had dried, but still annoying).
He was bleeding quite a bit and since it was his first back after getting his nose broke at the AM in thailand.....yeah....I made it loose again and it was leaking clarot.
Going to do the same again but do it kyokoshin rules so save the face..

Cause the two boys are fighting in 9 days and the session had started, we then did 3 rounds grappling, gave them 1 round 'off' (basically jumped in with the 2 guys that were jumping in) and 5 rounds full technique with them on.
Held pads for them for 5 2 min rounds (I jumped in between)
Stetched out (forced stretching)

Good session all in all. Pretty sore and a few things need working on (and things need to heal up)

11/08/06

PL+cardio

Squat
8@60
5@90
5@110
5@115
5@120
[email protected]
3@125-went down on rep 4, got it as low as the squat rack would allow........got maybe 3 inches up and my legs gave way
2@130-final rep was proper depth

Weighted pull ups
8@bw from dead hang
4 for 2 sets @18 added
4 for 2 sets@20 added

200 unweighted sit ups

30 min bike ride@6

Few injuries meant I couldn't do all my lifts

12/08/06

MT
3 rounds skipping
2 rounds pads, technique and power. First just hands, 2nd just feet.
Sparred all the rookies twice (2 rounds on the trot). So that was maybe 8 rounds.
Various ab work off the roman chair (russian twist with 20lbs for 3 sets of 10, sit ups, 15 for 3 sets@20lbs) and back extentions, 50 (but did 25, let lactic drain, 10, 15)
Technique work
Olley turned up and was taken on pads. Was about to go but got roped into sparring him for 3 rounds. I was there for 2 3/4 hours up to this point with only a bowel of cereal in me (3 ohurs before training). Felt tired but not too bad

Great log Ian. Would you mind posting your best one rep maxs on a few of your core lifts? If you have posted them already I apologize.

Keep up the hard work.

So Ian, you're doing squats and DL's on the same day? Seems like I've heard that that was a no-no for some reason. I've wanted to do them on the same day myself.

Nice log dude.

where did I say I was doing deads?

I'm doing SLDL to make sure my hams don't get weak and the legs don't get disproptionately weak.

Cheers for stopping bye

Yeah, that's what I meant. Your squat and SLDL's. I thought the conventional wisdom was to do them on seperate days with a day inbetween. Not that I know anything, I've just wanted to combine my squat and deadlift day, and wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Well I'm a bit shit on the dead lift as a main lift.

I don't really shift that much weight on the SLDL variant to be honest, so its not that taxing on my CNS, which is the main reason why people say don't do both on the same day.

When my numbers get higher or I start stalling (indicating i need to mix it up), I'll probably do something then, but thats a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

To be honest mate, you need to try it out for yourself and see how your body responds.
If your maxing out on squats and then do some high rep deads (or visa versa), I wouldn't really see a problem (baring you shouldn't really do high rep deads :D)

13/08/06

MT-
Got there early and skipped with heavy rope for maybe 6 min
all 2 min rounds, 30s rest
3 rounds of bag, first knees, 2nd boxing, 3rd everything
6 rounds of pads
3 rounds bag-everything and then final just boxing
Numerous rounds sparring, maybe 6 with me on, then jumped in every other round (so maybe 4 more rounds)

14/08/06

MT-
20-25 min fast skippign with heavy rope (got there early)

Pad work, shit session for me

15/08/06

am-PL

5 min row to warm up
OHP
8@bar
5@40
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
5@60
[email protected]
Went for a double at 70, but couldn't lock out the first damn rep, so did a negative with the weight instead. Didn't feel that heavy, and could get it for that first rep maybe 2/3 the way up, but just wouldn't go (about 7 seconds trying).

BO row
8@60
3@90
3@95
[email protected]
3@100-double, reset, single-right hand slips
[email protected] double, reset grip then a single
1@110-could have been better, but wanted to kill the grip

weighted sit ups
15@bw
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Full contact twist
[email protected]
2 sets of 27.5 for 13 reps
Wasn't goign to do FC but glad I did

5 min row to cool off

pm-MT

Ian needs a day to veg out thats all I can say. It was another beast session for the guys fighting this weekend

18/08/06

PL+cardio

Squat
8@50 (jumped in with someone else)
5@90
[email protected]
5@115
[email protected]
5@120
5@125

shallow double at 135-slowly getting back to my 5'[email protected] was dec 2005 before I took my break from lifting

SLDL off box (3 inch)
8@60
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] 5 with one grip, rest with other but only got out 3 singles after that, due to grip and a twinge in my lower back which made me nervous

OHP
8@40
5@60 with wide grip
[email protected]
1@70
Attempt at 72.5, but too shagged after lifting to lock it out
Did a double push press at 70

30 min bike ride-10@6, 5@7, 1@5, 9@6 and 5ish@7.
Legs were fucked

took the boys to weigh in after a bite to eat, sitting on my arse for 6 1/2 hours driving too and fro, well tired now

Back