Idea for new UFC Championship format

HeavyHands20

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With all the interim titles and fighters not defending, injuries, and suspensions, I was throwing around an idea the UFC could get behind.

Kind of model their championships like the 4 major sports. Have a “season” and at the end of the “season”, champions are crowned and at the beginning of the next “season”, all titles are vacant.

It’s still very possible that the champion at the end of the “season” can be in a title fight at the beginning of the new “season”.

This kind of prevents fighters from being stripped and champions refusing to defend.

The details would need to be ironed out, but the concept might work

So..... old school Bellator
Cool

How bout they just make them fight like they did before Conor. I also think they should limit cards to two maybe three different weight classes. That would make replacement s much easier to find. Also you could watch a whole division play out in one night.

It's too late to make such a drastic change anyway

Do you also want the season to be 82 fights/games + playoffs like in the nba? Bro, this isn't a team sport, stupid idea.

Dumb idea.

For your start date, this is a disappointing thread. sorry.

How bout they just make them fight like they did before Conor
Funny thing is conors rise came from fighting regularly. It sucks what has happened since the Eddie fight but he did build his brand in the octagon. This new breed wants to build their brand by fighting once maybe twice a year hand picking their opponents along the way

I have a cool idea for UFC championships too
Champs defend their fucking belts

I was prepared to get burned at the stake ... thanks Sherbros, haha

Do you also want the season to be 82 fights/games + playoffs like in the nba? Bro, this isn't a team sport, stupid idea.
It's not a stupid idea just too late to change the current fight game but I think the point was that the titles don't really matter anymore so why not wipe the slate clean every year to give the fighters incentive to fight the best and win the title again like a team sport. Most these guys want to get a title and sit on it

I would like the UFC to do regularly scheduled Grand Prix tournaments separate from the world championships (like Pride).

- Top 8 or 16 ranked fighters
- Each division every 4 years
- 3-4 divisions per year
- Business as usual between tournaments

It's not a stupid idea just too late to change the current fight game but I think the point was that the titles don't really matter anymore so why not wipe the slate clean every year to give the fighters incentive to fight the best and win the title again like a team sport. Most these guys want to get a title and sit on it

Exactly my vision ... thanks for wording it better

Maybe just maybe, we make a radical change where the champ always fights the best and most deserving contender every single time instead of old men, guys coming off loses, or guys ranked out of the top ten.

They just need to set STRICK timelines for losing belts and for creating Interim titles.

It shouldn’t matter what your name is. Treat people fairly.

Make all fights for a belt. Makes all events more exciting since they are all for a championship.

Back