Identity politics could cost Democrats 2020

It's an interesting piece but since it was a Democratic primary, I'm not sure how this gets extrapolated to 2020 contests against Republicans.

"Democrats need to focus on economic issues."

Like 8 straight years of economic growth coming off the worst recession and recovering from one of the worst presidents in human history.

A stimulus bill NOT ONE republican voted for and facing a congress who's main goal was to obstruct any progress made for America and it's people.

Democrats are already concerned with the economy trump is riding. You people must be delusional

That party is lost and in the midst of an identity crisis. Fortunately for them, so is much of this country.
Both the Republicans and the Dems seem in turmoil to me. I think both would do well to track back toward the center.

I also think both are becoming embroiled in identity politics. When I see the alt-right, it looks like a mirror image of the racial identity politics of the far left. Both fringes are illiberal and should be marginalized. I know we love to mock the extremes of whichever party we oppose, but I think each party could more effectively police their own. A strong liberal center is good for America imo, where by liberal I mean both center left and center right.

for now. that is changing rather quickly

I think as that changes we may see whites as an ethnic group function politically much more like a bloc in the way African-Americans do now. We are deciding now what we want the country to look like when we hit that transition point to a non-majority ethnic pluralism. Right now, seems like much of the left wants some sort of racial spoils system. It' s possible that it isn't much of the left, just a noisy minority, but that seems unclear to me. As irritating and divisive as racial identity politics can be now, it will be a disaster once there is no longer a racial majority.

It's weird how both sides are betting on the same concept. They can't both be right.

LOL the people who believe there is a white genocide and go to rallies and chant "you will not replace us" accuse everyone else of "identity politics".

Just LOL

To be fair I don't think they were even able to round up 1000 people for that between the United States and Canada. The Counter protesters far outnumbered the actual participants. Meanwhile you had a million women running around DC in pussy hats slathering period blood all over the place.

Yeah, that was the whole point of all the SSM ballot initiatives. Key part of Rove's strategy. It's weird how that's all been memory-holed.

Came here to say this...

What was Ws stance on the FMA????

I didn't say anything about "shutting the media up". I wrote a post outlining how they should be held to account for deliberately writing untruths with malicious intent.

This is already one of our laws. I can see that you think it's acceptable for press bodies to accuse people of belonging to concrete movements despite the lack of any affiliation (and in spite of verbal disavowal as was the case with Bannon).

Bannon is your example of false labeling as alt right? He kinda made his own bed with that term. His media outlet defined the term and he proclaimed that outlet a platform for the alt right. With all the false propaganda coming out of breitbart, he may not be he best way to make a case for political libel.

I like technical, so no worries.

How do you tax things that are illegal? Honest question.

And while I am aware that you are required to report all forms of income, it would seem a bit of a catch 22 to report income on a Federal form that was derived from Federally illegal sources, as in a kind of admission of partaking in illegal activities.

Regardless of whether or not the Feds would look the other way as to the source of income, I suspect the main contention is that it remains difficult to audit a business that does not utilize a bank account and/or electronic payments, as you are simply relying on the records of the business owner.

While I'm not an accountant, my mother was, so I've had a little exposure to it and tax prep. over the years, in addition to doing the accounting for my own (unrelated) business now.
You can report it on schedule C, which is profit and loss from a business (sole proprietorship). If you sell drugs for example you just report your sales, cost of goods, other expenses, etc. and you're taxed on the profits.

And yeah, it's definitely a catch 22 but the IRS is not in the business of hunting down criminals outside of tax evasion, fraud, etc.. It's still evidence that can be used against you though!!

Anyway, your main point stands. Legalizing weed would undoubtedly raise a ton of tax revenue and obviously that can be put to good use. Seems like a no brainer to me, even when we price in the downsides.

But you're falling way short of making the case that that racism is as big if not more of a problem on the left and that it's really moving the politics in an ugly direction overall for Democrats

To be fair, it was the Democratic party that gave the world the KKK.

eu93z0fgfpjz.png

I think as that changes we may see whites as an ethnic group function politically much more like a bloc in the way African-Americans do now. We are deciding now what we want the country to look like when we hit that transition point to a non-majority ethnic pluralism. Right now, seems like much of the left wants some sort of racial spoils system. It' s possible that it isn't much of the left, just a noisy minority, but that seems unclear to me. As irritating and divisive as racial identity politics can be now, it will be a disaster once there is no longer a racial majority.

I dont think African Americans would vote like a giant bloc if one party wasnt actively hostile to them. there is a pretty big spectrum of actual beliefs there, it just doesnt matter because of GOP dog whistles.

To be fair, it was the Democratic party that gave the world the KKK.
Ok, but I don't see how that bit of history is relevant to this discussion, though.

Gun to head a randomly selected KKK member (full blown racist, proud of it) and you have to guess how he votes to save your life. What are you picking absent any other information?

Yeah, I thought so.

Back