if a random person bench press more than a MMA fighter, does this simply mean he is stronger?

nastyElbows also avirgin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
if you and your favorite UFC champion are the same weight, say for example you both are 70kg

you can bench press 110 for 8 reps, and his max 1 rep is 100 kg

does it make sense to say you are stronger than him?

if you and your favorite UFC champion are the same weight, say for example you both are 70kg

you can bench press 110 for 8 reps, and his max 1 rep is 100 kg

does it make sense to say you are stronger than him?
Yes. Strength does not equal skill.

A correctly trained ufc fighter shouldn't have a weak bench press. I'd be surprised if that's true

It means you are stronger than him in the bench press, that's all.

It means you are stronger than him in the bench press, that's all.
Yeah exactly. That's the caveat. You might be able to bench more than him, but he might be able to deadlift more than you, or press more, or beat you in armwrestling, or have a stronger squeeze, stronger bridge so on.

I would say the debate is still open until you determine who is stronger at training ufc and whose testicles have a greater circumference.

Stronger at bench press yes. Grappling is more about back and core/grip strength, so if you have a bigger bench but he has a bigger deadlift and weighted chin up then he’ll probably be stronger (skill and weight being equal).

Related question, while we're on the topic:

I sometimes speculate that the bench press is a better gauge of strength than the other two lifts in powerlifting, since it is less dependent on anthropometry than squat/deadlift.

If A benches more than B, A is almost always stronger in the involved muscle groups.
If A squats more than B, B can still be stronger in the involved muscle groups, just with less optimized body proportions.

Is this right or wrong?

Also how long is a piece of string?

Last edited:
Related question, while we're on the topic:

I sometimes speculate that the bench press is a better gauge of strength than the other two lifts in powerlifting, since it is less dependent on anthropometry than squat/deadlift.

If A benches more than B, A is almost always stronger in the involved muscle groups.
If A squats more than B, B can still be stronger in the involved muscle groups, just with less optimized body proportions.

Is this right or wrong?

Also how long is a piece of string?

Your body proportions for bench still matter when you bench though. Long arms are seen as a disadvantage for benching in comparison to deadlifts where long arms are a benefit. So your assumption is not correct.

Your body proportions for bench still matter when you bench though. Long arms are seen as a disadvantage for benching in comparison to deadlifts where long arms are a benefit. So your assumption is not correct.

I didn't mean that the bench wasn't affected at all by body proportions, though. Just that it plays less role than in the squat* or deadlift. So it is hypothetically a comparatively more accurate gauge of strength. And to reiterate, when I say strength, I don't mean overall strength. Just strength in the involved muscle groups for the respective lifts.

Mind you, this is not an opinion of mine, just a speculation. Kind of wanted to see if anyone else had given it thought or had any insight on the matter.

The squat, for example, being affected by overall height, length of legs, length of femurs, hip structure, ankle flexibility and what have you.

Back