If Conor hadn't gassed...

strawman. No point in discussing with someone who willfully misrepresents my argument.

Your argument is absurd. There's plenty of evidence that the characteristics of having a good "chin" (i.e. the ability to take shots without getting hurt, the ability to recover from getting hurt in a timely fashion, the ability to maintain composure and fight effectively while rocked etc.) vary greatly between individuals.

The ability to take punishment is a necessity for a fighter, and fighters who can't take punishment are weeded out of the competitive pool before reaching the elite levels. Even pro fighters who are considered "glass chinned" have a far superior ability to take physical punishment than the average person.

It's impossible for any fighter, even one as defensively skilled, to go through a career without taking flush shots at one point or another. Mayweather has taken hard shots from renowned, elite level punchers in several different fights and always managed to maintain composure and recover quickly when he got hurt. The notion that his ability to take punches is not inherently different than that of the average person with his physical characteristics is ridiculous. As is the idea that Conor's punching ability is only par with the harder hitting boxers that Floyd has fought.

Your argument is absurd. There's plenty of evidence that the characteristics of having a good "chin" (i.e. the ability to take shots without getting hurt, the ability to recover from getting hurt in a timely fashion, the ability to maintain composure and fight effectively while rocked etc.) vary greatly between individuals.
Of course there is variation. The question is: what's the standard deviation? My contention is it's much smaller that you are letting on. Much more important factors are vision/reflexes and being trained to roll with shots.

You are asserting that if we were to tie Mayweather up with his back up against a flat concrete wall, cover his eyes with an eyemask, and have Shane Mosely punch him on the chin at a random moment, Mayweather would be better able to take the shot than an average man of Mayweather's weight under the same conditions. I think the variation under those conditions is minor.

This is absurd. McGregor is dangerous early and Mayweather knew it. May played the game well, that's why he's great.

I 1000% disagree. Conor is not dangerous in a boxing ring and mayweather knew it after 1 minute hence why he walked him down and let Conor try to tee off on him. Conor is lucky he didnt fight someone younger or trying to put on a show

If fresh McGregor lands cleanly and accurately on Mayweather, it's night night. But that's a very hard thing to do, especially in boxing gloves.

If maidana or mosley didnt knock out Floyd pillow fist Conor isnt. Conor fans act like he is Julian "the hawk' Jackson!

NEWS FLASH - Conor has horrible footwork, throw punches with his arms, zero defense and on the inside cant do shit. Quite frankly he is a t best an amatuer boxer and if he went into bozing he wouldnt crack the top 25 of any weight division is entered. BTW i am being very generous with the top 25 comment..probably more like top 100

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's delusional. Mayweather is an expert at spotting weaknesses upon film study. He knew he was fighting a rangy southpaw and that's why he stacked his camp with fighters of a similar style.

If you deny that McGregor is very accurate, has longer reach than Mayweather and hits quite hard then there's no point in discussing it. You don't rush forward at McGregor period, especially not when he's fresh. However, stalking him over multiple rounds is a great strategy if you can take the heat because the guy's pacing and cardio are plain bad. Pacing/cardio will be a liabilitity for the rest of his career. Mayweather's cardio and pacing are exquisite, so May found the weakest part of McGregor's game and exploited it. That's why this was a great performance by Mayweather.

But it was also a very solid showing for McGregor. He hit the GOAT with plenty of good shots, snapped his head back, made him miss.

Overall, just an awesome spectacle. That's why people are still talking about it.

Mcgregor faced the worst possible version of Floyd he could possibly face and couldn't even come close to come close to come close to get the job done, even though Floyd literally stayed in front of him multiple times, letting mcgregor hit him as much as he wanted.

The reality about this fight is simply this:

- Floyd didn't fight his regular fight. He was a lot more aggressive and a lot less concerned with defense.

- Floyd is a considerably smaller and older fighter than Conor. If you think this doesn't matter, you have absolutely no clue about fighting. Plenty of fighters have lost to less skilled fighters that were simply bigger and younger. Skill is not everything.

- Floyd did close to nothing during the first 3 rounds. That's the only reason Conor won. It's not because Conor outboxed Floyd. Floyd simply did nothing for 3 rounds.

- The vast majority of what Conor landed was meaningless. No impact, no danger. Just touches, not real punches. There's a difference. I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to post a couple dozens of pics of Conor hitting Floyd hard, in a way we can actually see.

- Floyd fought smart, but he could have won without fighting smart. There was just too much on the line for him to risk doing something he didn't need to do in order to win.

- Anyone who knows boxing knows this was essentially a sparring match. That's exactly how a sparring match looks between a world champ and some guy he brought in to spar. You can watch Floyd sparring sessions on youtube where he basically lets his opponent get away with a lot.

- Floyd wanted to give the fans a show, not finish a guy in 1 round. For what? He spent months convincing people this was a legit fight. IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE A LEGIT FIGHT. Otherwise people will just be pissed and feel robbed. Nobody wants to pay 100 bucks to watch 3 or 4 minutes of fighting. There was already enough people believing Conor was a bum and this fight was a joke. He beats the dude in 1 minute and nobody will give him credit for his 50th win.

Mcgregor faced the worst possible version of Floyd he could possibly face and couldn't even come close to come close to come close to get the job done, even though Floyd literally stayed in front of him multiple times, letting mcgregor hit him as much as he wanted.

The reality about this fight is simply this:

- Floyd didn't fight his regular fight. He was a lot more aggressive and a lot less concerned with defense.

- Floyd is a considerably smaller and older fighter than Conor. If you think this doesn't matter, you have absolutely no clue about fighting. Plenty of fighters have lost to less skilled fighters that were simply bigger and younger. Skill is not everything.

- Floyd did close to nothing during the first 3 rounds. That's the only reason Conor won. It's not because Conor outboxed Floyd. Floyd simply did nothing for 3 rounds.

- The vast majority of what Conor landed was meaningless. No impact, no danger. Just touches, not real punches. There's a difference. I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to post a couple dozens of pics of Conor hitting Floyd hard, in a way we can actually see.

- Floyd fought smart, but he could have won without fighting smart. There was just too much on the line for him to risk doing something he didn't need to do in order to win.

- Anyone who knows boxing knows this was essentially a sparring match. That's exactly how a sparring match looks between a world champ and some guy he brought in to spar. You can watch Floyd sparring sessions on youtube where he basically lets his opponent get away with a lot.

- Floyd wanted to give the fans a show, not finish a guy in 1 round. For what? He spent months convincing people this was a legit fight. IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE A LEGIT FIGHT. Otherwise people will just be pissed and feel robbed. Nobody wants to pay 100 bucks to watch 3 or 4 minutes of fighting. There was already enough people believing Conor was a bum and this fight was a joke. He beats the dude in 1 minute and nobody will give him credit for his 50th win.

Totally disagree with all points except for the bold.

"if conor hadn't gassed.." is like saying if someone sprinted from the start of a marathon then might win if they don't gas.. they're going to gas. Conor was head-hunting from the getgo hoping for an early KO, thats why he gassed, in his own words he wasn't 'efficient with his energy' if he wanted it to go the distance.

Back