If Cormier gets KO’d does it do anything for stipe’s legacy?

A paycheck and hype. Resume wise at HW nothing.. unless DC continues to fight at HW to prove he's a top level HW.

Realistically, not much... Legacy-wise, DC has much more to gain from this.

Stipe is in a Larry Holmes situation.

The HW div is in a transitional state.
Translation: 'I will never give Stipe the props he deserves for being one of, if not the best heavyweight fighter of all time'

If someone says knocking out Daniel Cormier in defense of your heavyweight title does nothing for your career they are a hopeless hater

Of course, DC hasn't appeared to slow down. He took care of Volkan easily enough when that guy looked like the next coming of Rumble just KOing guys left and right.

You mean he beat a fighter with poor/average grappling by using his elite wrestling. Does not mean he is still in his prime, it just means Volkan was a good match up for him, just like Rumble.

Match him up vs Gustafsson and we will see if he is still in his prime or not.

You mean he beat a fighter with poor/average grappling by using his elite wrestling. Does not mean he is still in his prime, it just means Volkan was a good match up for him, just like Rumble.

Match him up vs Gustafsson and we will see if he is still in his prime or not.
One could question Gustafssons prime, or current ability rather, as well. He’s not actively competing and while taking time off can be good healing injuries too, well also depending on how wise they train, I’m not sure what we can expect from Gustafsson at this point in his career.

Where is he mentally and physically? Does he still have it in him?

When he was able to beat up Jones like he did, now looking back maybe that was the peak of his prime. He was so confident too. Can we see that again from him? It would be nice to see him beat somebody for once in a while. Sure it’s good business for him to do as he does seeing how he has had only big fights but there’s got to be downside to that as well. He doesn’t have momentum and the extra confidence from that momentum.

blaydes will be next in line

the one thing that always makes me worried for DC is when Stipe mounted Overeem and pounds his face into canvas ..

stipe looks huge and so do them punches that bounce his head off the canvas

Of course, DC hasn't appeared to slow down. He took care of Volkan easily enough when that guy looked like the next coming of Rumble just KOing guys left and right.
I think he did slow down. He was having a hard time early in that fight.

Legacy?

I didn’t know Stipe drove a Subaru.

Of course it does. Cormier is undefeated at HW and the LHW champion.

For those saying nothing...would Bisping’s legacy have been improved had he beaten GSP?

The only way a win over DC does nothing for Stipe’s legacy is if you already consider Stipe to be the HW GOAT.

Cormier went to LHW for career reasons (not fighting his teammate). It had nothing to do with losing and going down a weight class. There is no shame in losing to Cormier if it happens (which I'm guessing is the outcome). Wrestling ages well.

I do agree if Miocic were to beat Cormier many will say that Cormier was past his prime.

This is a genuine superfight IMO so whoever wins elevates their legacy but I think Stipe has a little bit more to lose on the downside since in the minds of casuals he is fighting down.

So stipe becomes GOAT for beating Cormier?

Stipe was never caught juicing and still knocked out HWs from day one. GOAT talk is a forums illusion. Can't he just be a great fighter and a clean athlete.

Yes, Cormier was a legit HW before cutting to LHW. A move he wouldn’t have made if not for his love affair with Cain.

He would be the only clean fighter to have ever beat him so there is that.

He'd be the second guy to beat DC. That says a lot.

Back