If GSP becomes 3 div champ moving down, does it take away frm the achivement

Kvolcom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
for me it kinda does tbh especially since he'd be moving down 2 weight classes.

If he was really bout that life he should have moved down and fought Penn at LW. He would have been 3 division champ rn

Why would GSP be gifted another title shot?

Tony Ferguson deserves the next LW title
shot if he beats Pettis. That would be an 11 fight win streak in MMA’s most stacked division for Ferg.

Give that man his title shot!

How him going to lightweight now any different than it would have been back in BJ's time?

No. GSP is 5'10 and at 155 wouldn't be much bigger than most LW's, many of whom are natural WW's anyway and who just kill themselves to get to 155.

No because he probably wouldn't be cutting any extra weight than most guys do already when they compete in the smallest weight class of their career. I mean, I doubt he'd be cutting any more weight than Conor himself did to make Featherweight, for example.

Yeah but cherry-picking for Bisping is the bigger issue imho.

I’m not sure how I’d feel about it. I’m still kinda disappointed that he didn’t challenge for MW until Bisping held the title. Nothing against Mike but he was a good style matchup for GSP.

Most people would eat it up. 3 division champ, GOAT, etc. Objective people would say wow had to go fight the little guys and the weakest MW champ since Tanner who wasn't even a top 5 fighter in his own division. Ducked the whole MW division, ducked Woodley up and down the weight classes. GOAT cherry picker for sure. Never seen people celebrate someone so much for avoiding the toughest fights.

for me it kinda does tbh especially since he'd be moving down 2 weight classes.

If he was really bout that life he should have moved down and fought Penn at LW. He would have been 3 division champ rn

If you move down a division, you will no longer have the size and strength that you used to have at a higher weight obviously. If GSP moves down, he's not going to be bigger or stronger than for example Khabib or Lee.

So if gsp went down to lw first you would have been fine with it?
Bj went down to lw, the division didn't always exist.
Conor went down to fw
Couture went down to lhw
Cormierb went down to lhw

If you move down a division, you will no longer have the size and strength that you used to have at a higher weight obviously. If GSP moves down, he's not going to be bigger or stronger than for example Khabib or Lee.

sure, but will he be fighting Khabib or Lee? or will he wait and see if little Conor can beat Khabib and then jump on Conor?

these are questions that only GSP and his people can answer, and i feel like GSP will wait and see what happens with Khabib/Conor first before he makes his next move. in my opinion he's turned into a huge opportunist.

If he goes down to 155, wins two or three ranked fights, and then wins the belt, it'd benefit tremendously. It was obvious that he didn't belong at 185. He looked bloated and slow.

If he just wants one off fights, then he shouldn't be let anywhere near another strap.

Conor will smoke gsp right after khabib

sure, but will he be fighting Khabib or Lee? or will he wait and see if little Conor can beat Khabib and then jump on Conor?

these are questions that only GSP and his people can answer, and i feel like GSP will wait and see what happens with Khabib/Conor first before he makes his next move. in my opinion he's turned into a huge opportunist.
Gsp gets to be an opportunist after fighting everyone they put in front of him not named Anderson Silva. He had a murderers row compared to most champions at the time and fought tougher comp than Anderson did. He earned the right to call some shots. Yeah, bisping was the weakest MW champ in a looooong ass time, but so was Eddie when Connor decided to move to LW.

Gsp will start gaining weight of khabib wins so... And if conor beats khabib hel more than likley smoke gsp yet gsp only wants to vs conor at 155

Conor is slightly smaller than those two I mentioned but the difference is not big. So to answer the thread title: No, it wouldn't take away from the achievement. Moving down a division might not look as "good" as moving up, but it's not neccessarily easier. It seems like a lot of people on this forum think that you keep all your strength when you move down a division and therefore it's a "pussy move", which is laughable if you know anything about physiology at all.

Of course GSP is a opportunist, but he dominated his division for years and accepted ANY challenger, so he has paid his dues and deserves to cherry pick his fights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back