If Gus stopped running, does he get the decision over DC?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I understand keeping his distance for the first 2-3 rounds but he almost finished DC with a knee in close and I thought Gus won as it was.

DC was hurting him with those uppercuts but Gus was taking them and I thought if Gus had just stayed in close and used his knees/elbows, he could have finished DC.

Anyway...if he didn't outright run so much, do you think he gets that decision or that he gets finished by DC?

Nah

If Gus stopped leaning his face into DC's uppercuts, he wins the fight.

<{cuts}>

Can't do this in a rematch against either DC or Jones.

According to the moron fan base both fighters must move forward at all times. lol

According to the moron fan base both fighters must move forward at all times. lol

It's not a fight unless both men are constantly walking forward.

Proof that sumo wrestling is the best martial art.

I understand keeping his distance for the first 2-3 rounds but he almost finished DC with a knee in close and I thought Gus won as it was.

DC was hurting him with those uppercuts but Gus was taking them and I thought if Gus had just stayed in close and used his knees/elbows, he could have finished DC.

Anyway...if he didn't outright run so much, do you think he gets that decision or that he gets finished by DC?

Running or not he still beat the shit out of DC and won 2, 3 and 4.

DazzlingForkedKookaburra.gif

HeavenlyHorribleCurlew.gif

EnragedLavishGalapagosalbatross.gif

LeadingWetAoudad.gif

EvenAffectionateAndeancockoftherock.gif

GrippingKindlyAustralianshelduck.gif

DefiantBareEuropeanpolecat.gif

Well Gus won it regardless imo (wouldn't necessarily disagree with a DC decision) but it seems like 98% of Sherdog have never watched the fight, just the gif of DC flipping Gus.

Gus put a beating on DC their first go round.. There is a reason it was a split decision.

The factor here is that Gus is improving (as evidenced in his fight with Glover) while DC is nearly 40, been having increasing trouble with weight cuts, and has likely hit his ceiling in terms of skills.

I'd say at this point in both their careers, Gus would have a solid chance of winning.

DC's fight with Jones will tell us alot. DC had a lot of trouble with both fighters's size and range. If he gets murked easily by Jones again, the blueprint for beating him will be there.

And if DC loses, DC vs. Gus is the fight to make with Rumble gone. Gus needs one more top win to fight Jones and he gets to avenge a loss. Plus DC gets to fight the best guy in the division (again now that Rumble is gone). If DC loses and then fights Gus and wins, its a big win.

Well, I don't think he would've been finished. He seemed able to take everything DC threw at him, tbh.

But I don't think the "running" had much to do with the loss. It was more those uppercuts in the later rounds really.

I'd say Gus is the favorite in a rematch though. He's still improving a lot and learning from his mistakes.

Well, I don't think he would've been finished. He seemed able to take everything DC threw at him, tbh.

But I don't think the "running" had much to do with the loss. It was more those uppercuts in the later rounds really.

I'd say Gus is the favorite in a rematch though. He's still improving a lot and learning from his mistakes.

It was on last night and im sitting, watching, and saying to myself: "How did Gus lose this decision?" ...and the only reason I could come up with was that DC was coming forward and throwing hands while Gus was literally running away.

I still think Gus won on striking alone but question if he could stand and bang with DC without running.

I think DC could've finished him if Gus didn't run.

It was on last night and im sitting, watching, and saying to myself: "How did Gus lose this decision?" ...and the only reason I could come up with was that DC was coming forward and throwing hands while Gus was literally running away.

I still think Gus won on striking alone but question if he could stand and bang with DC without running.

I think DC could've finished him if Gus didn't run.
I'll have to disagree. DC doesn't finish people standing very often and for good reason. Also, Rumble is the only guy to beat Gus via stoppage. Unless DC securing a takedown and finishing with ground and pound is a part of your equation.

Gus has some of the worst fight IQ. He's 6'5 and was doing well at range but kept clinching and leaning down and letting DC hit him with uppercuts over and over.
He practically threw the fight away

Gus has some of the worst fight IQ. He's 6'5 and was doing well at range but kept clinching and leaning down and letting DC hit him with uppercuts over and over.
He practically threw the fight away

I think he was exhausted from moving backwards/running and was using the clinch to rest...eating uppercuts like Twinkies in the process.

That or he was getting in the clinch to set up one of those knees that almost finished DC.

I think he was exhausted from moving backwards/running and was using the clinch to rest...eating uppercuts like Twinkies in the process.

That or he was getting in the clinch to set up one of those knees that almost finished DC.
I only recall him throwing one knee tho, I remember practically begging him to stand up and throw one and the first one he did dropped him but he never went back to it. Maybe you're right about him being tired but that fight was his to lose going into the last

2 out of 3 judges gave DC the 3rd, even though Gus dropped him and almost got a finish. Think he can beat DC or Jones in the rematch.

It's so bizarre that Jones got the 4th when Gus was much more dominant than DC against him up until that point and Gus didn't get dropped. If the judging was anywhere near consistent he wins one of those rounds and the belt.

Here's what bothers me about Gus. He is a few improvements from truly being on the level of guys like Jones and DC instead of just simply rising to the occasion. He learns how to truly reset instead of running, tighten up his cardio just a tad, and Gus can most definitely be the LHW champ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back