If Joe Rogan's Turning Side Kick is So Good, Why Didn't GSP Know About it?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
Why didn't Firas Zahabi teach it? Is it really as good as it looks?

Full Version:

The side kick opens you up to having your back taken if you miss with it and puts you out of position so you can get hit with stuff while having no real defense if they dodge to the outside. It's somewhat telegraphed as well so for these applicable reasons it's not worth it to most MMA fighters or even most kickboxers.

The side kick opens you up to having your back taken if you miss with it and puts you out of position so you can get hit with stuff while having no real defense if they dodge to the outside. It's somewhat telegraphed as well so for these applicable reasons it's not worth it to most MMA fighters or even most kickboxers.
spinning shit can be deceptive though. it the main thing it has going for it.

spinning shit can be deceptive though. it the main thing it has going for it.

Agreed-- provided one is really good with it, better than the other elites at it. It can and has been used effectively. It's drawbacks have to be accounted for and overcome for that to happen and most people aren't wizards with side kicks

Also I'm not referencing all spinning stuff, just sidekicks specifically which tend to leave people side-on and out of position if you don't land right with them a lot of the time.

Agreed-- provided one is really good with it, better than the other elites at it. It can and has been used effectively. It's drawbacks have to be accounted for and overcome for that to happen and most people aren't wizards with side kicks

Also I'm not referencing all spinning stuff, just sidekicks specifically which tend to leave people side-on and out of position if you don't land right with them a lot of the time.
i just love when they do the little spin thing without a punch or kick attached, nothing like a few dance moves to bedazzle your opponent.

A. GSP threw the back kick prior to this video and would have been exposed to it from his Knock down karate background. Further he had some good kickers in the camp who threw it much better and would have exposed it to him as well IE David louiseau and Christoph mideau or however the fuck you spell his name. He is simply being polite to Rogan.

B. Rogans kick is alright. Nothing great. Theres quite a lot to criticize about it such as how he leaves the leg extended out rather than yanking it back and down after it lands.

ever seen the caporeira ko in mma that was a dead ring in for the van damme ko in bloodsport. guy ducks the first spinning back kick, comes back up, but wait there's more... here comes another spinning back kick which he fails to duck. oops, that one had to hurt.

<{CMPALM}>

cmon man

GSP is of the few fighters who DOES go to the same kicking gym sessions as Rogan, they talk about it on the latest GSP JRE podcast for like 50 minutes while GSP praises this exact kick

ever seen the caporeira ko in mma that was a dead ring in for the van damme ko in bloodsport. guy ducks the first spinning back kick, comes back up, but wait there's more... here comes another spinning back kick which he fails to duck. oops, that one had to hurt.

Don't think I've seen that but if you find it please post it here.

I guess some people like to look at the floor when they duck. This is why you dont do that

<{CMPALM}>

cmon man

GSP is of the few fighters who DOES go to the same kicking gym sessions as Rogan, they talk about it on the latest GSP JRE podcast for like 50 minutes while GSP praises this exact kick
It's possible I posted the wrong video, but I don't think so. In one Joe Rogan/GSP video (the one above, I think...I guess I should watch it again), GSP acts like he's never been instructed on how to do a proper Rogan-style kick. So Joe shows him, and GSP tries it out. GSP seems to be a novice at it at first, but keeps getting a little better, though nowhere near the level of Rogan, understandably.

It's possible I posted the wrong video, but I don't think so. In one Joe Rogan/GSP video (the one above, I think...I guess I should watch it again), GSP acts like he's never been instructed on how to do a proper Rogan-style kick. So Joe shows him, and GSP tries it out. GSP seems to be a novice at it at first, but keeps getting a little better, though nowhere near the level of Rogan, understandably.

oh damn I could have sworn GSP was singing its praises on that episode saying he knew about them for awhile, and then they wrapped the podcast to go train side kicks together (Rogan mentions it on the next podcast)

oh damn I could have sworn GSP was singing its praises on that episode saying he knew about them for awhile, and then they wrapped the podcast to go train side kicks together (Rogan mentions it on the next podcast)
I should have watched the video again before I posted it, for sure. I just started this thread on a whim....the idea just came to me. But I haven't seen above video for a while. The gist of my question remains though. The kick isn't hard to learn, so with practice high-level MMA fighters could get really good at it. So why isn't it more common? (Some have already addressed this above.) And if GSP is so thrilled by it, why didn't he learn it and use it in the Octagon a long time ago? (As someone mentioned above, it could be that he was just being polite to Joe, that he really wasn't all THAT thrilled by it.)

I should have watched the video again before I posted it, for sure. I just started this thread on a whim....the idea just came to me. But I haven't seen above video for a while. The gist of my question remains though. The kick isn't hard to learn, so with practice high-level MMA fighters could get really good at it. So why isn't it more common? (Some have already addressed this above.) And if GSP is so thrilled by it, why didn't he learn it and use it in the Octagon a long time ago? (As someone mentioned above, it could be that he was just being polite to Joe, that he really wasn't all THAT thrilled by it.)

no yeah the thread still stands, the last thing that remotely resembled a turning side kick I can remember was a Yair Rodriguez swing-and-miss and a few weak setups from our Tiger Schulmann bud Uriah Hall

fighters claim Karate is dead while praising wide, side stances and switch side stance
<2>
fools

The gist of my question remains though. The kick isn't hard to learn, so with practice high-level MMA fighters could get really good at it. So why isn't it more common? (Some have already addressed this above.) And if GSP is so thrilled by it, why didn't he learn it and use it in the Octagon a long time ago? (As someone mentioned above, it could be that he was just being polite to Joe, that he really wasn't all THAT thrilled by it.)

GSP is one of the few fighters who have a tightly integrated system for everything they do in the cage. All of his techniques have to have a purpose & place in the system, he's not going to put the time into learning & perfecting techniques which don't fit well with what he does. He's not a Yair Rodriguez who spams a ton of flying spinning shit that isn't setup or connected to anything else, and as a result misses damn near everything.

Examples. A lot of GSP's moves work off his jab, techniques which work well with the jab such as a left hook or the lead leg low kick work well within his system and are also things that he does quite well. Flying knees on the other hand don't work with any of the stuff that GSP does so he's not going to practice them to perfection or use them in a fight.

The turning side kick doesn't have much of a place in his system. It's a kick which works best when an opponent is circling away from GSP's right side, thing is GSP doesn't have a hard right punch or kick to compel his opponents into circling left, and if they do go left he has the left hook and left kick that he can hit them with. Sure the spinning shit can work, but it's not as efficient as the tools he already has. And that's the next issue, GSP is strong believer in efficiency (it says so in his book), he's not going to throw high energy low percentage stuff if he can get similar results with low energy high percentage techniques, which he almost always can.

Short version. Learning a technique is the easy part. The hard part is fitting it into your system and using it effectively. In some cases, certain techniques just don't work with certain fighters.

i just love when they do the little spin thing without a punch or kick attached, nothing like a few dance moves to bedazzle your opponent.
Thats it, I'm gonna use salsa and Bachata in the cage

A. GSP threw the back kick prior to this video and would have been exposed to it from his Knock down karate background. Further he had some good kickers in the camp who threw it much better and would have exposed it to him as well IE David louiseau and Christoph mideau or however the fuck you spell his name. He is simply being polite to Rogan.

B. Rogans kick is alright. Nothing great. Theres quite a lot to criticize about it such as how he leaves the leg extended out rather than yanking it back and down after it lands.

- This. A Kyokushin black-belt like GSP knew this kick!
And he is a Van Damme fan.

That technique is so much harder to throw than the spinning back kick.

Unless you are like Rogan you’re better off throwing the back kick for accuracy and speed.
Joes is accuarate, fast, AND powerful but he’s been doing it since birth

Back