If Robert Whittaker won't fight Romero if he misses weight, then...

If Robert Whittaker won't fight Romero if he misses weight, then... Demetrius Johnson shouldn't be forced to fight Dillashaw if he misses weight either.

What do you guys think?
when has TJ ever missed weight?

Dont be putting that negative energy in the air

He should have to fight a 'roided up horse.

That would be fair.

Yoel made championship weight in their first fight, guy takes a short notice fight in pretty much the total opposite timezone and now all of a sudden hes notorious for missing weight? give me a break

What if TJ makes weight? If you’re the champ of the decision you have to prove you’re the best by taking on all contenders at that weight. If he misses weight, then don’t fight him if you want to be a piss about it. But if he makes weight, man up and defend your belt
You are missing the point. If TJ doesn't make weight, DJ has to either fight a guy who didn't make weight or decline to fight and not get paid. TJ hasn't made that weight so it's actually a huge financial risk for DJ. Hence why he wants his show money and TJs guaranteed to him if TJ doesn't make weight.

I'm a blackbelt in forum couch posting not fighting so I could be wrong here but does missing weight by a pound or two really matter in a fight? Fighters are going to rehydrate/gain their lost mass back anyway so what does that one/two pounds have to do with anything?

That's fine if DJ refuses IF (key word) TJ misses weight. However, to turn down a fight over speculations of missing weight is totally and wholly a different thing.

No one cares about DJ
That too.......

I'd care if he stepped it up and stopped can crushing and ducking. If he is "Pound For Pound King", then what a waste to spend your whole career fighting in one division, a division which is objectively the weakest in the modern era of make fighting. Even Fedor fought the best of his time, even if he did crush a can here and there, and was always fighting larger men.

I'm a blackbelt in forum couch posting not fighting so I could be wrong here but does missing weight by a pound or two really matter in a fight? Fighters are going to rehydrate/gain their lost mass back anyway so what does that one/two pounds have to do with anything?
Answer: yes. Absolutely. If we fully hydrated humans lost a pound or two, no. However, when your body is sapped and you need to keep giving more water weight, it can not only kill you but will really effect your performance. Case and point: Rumble. Rumble would likely get rekt by Woodley, even with the best nutritionist, but at the same time could beat Jones or Stipe at natty weight.

Somewhere Don Frye is shaking his head in disappointment..
giphy.gif

What?

What if TJ makes weight? If you’re the champ of the decision you have to prove you’re the best by taking on all contenders at that weight. If he misses weight, then don’t fight him if you want to be a piss about it. But if he makes weight, man up and defend your belt

Yeah, but the thing is it appears that the UFC and Dillashaw's camp might be pushing DJ into a non-title catchweight fight in the event that Dillashaw couldn't make weight.

So it is important that DJ have the terms specified in his contract to protect himself, just as Whittaker is doing to protect himself in the event that Romero misses weight.

Last edited:
I think he is only saying this because he isn't smart enough to realize he can't lose the belt if Yoel misses weight. For a champ the best possible scenario is your opponent misses weight, you get a huge chunk of their check and its a free fight that has no impact on your ranking.

It isn't just about the belt. It's about being the best fighter in the division. If Whittaker fights Romero in a nontitle fight and Whittaker gets knocked out, he still retains the belt, but then Romero would be considered the best fighter in the division, the uncrowned champ.

What a bunch of pussies, crying over 2 lbs.

Where are all the real fucken men in mma these days?

Sakuraba, Royce, Mirko, Randy, Hendo, etc...
Don’t forget Wand, the guy bulked up to 228 to fight Mirko and was still the much smaller man

It isn't just about the belt. It's about being the best fighter in the division. If Whittaker fights Romero in a nontitle fight and Whittaker gets knocked out, he still retains the belt, but then Romero would be considered the best fighter in the division, the uncrowned champ.

Maybe but then Whitaker would get an automatic rematch if he and the UFC wanted, one in which he could name his price, so who cares?

You are missing the point. If TJ doesn't make weight, DJ has to either fight a guy who didn't make weight or decline to fight and not get paid. TJ hasn't made that weight so it's actually a huge financial risk for DJ. Hence why he wants his show money and TJs guaranteed to him if TJ doesn't make weight.

Exactly this! Someone who actually gets it.

1/10.

I give myself a 2/10 for responding to this shitty thread

Back