If Rockhold can´t take Whittaker to the ground, is he gonna lose? Or can he beat him on the feet?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Rockhold has a huge advantage on the ground. The problem is that Whittaker is very hard to be taken down.
Does anybody think Rockhold can beat Whittaker only on the feet, if the fight doesn´t go to the ground?

Luke%2BRockhold%2BQuestion%2BMark%2BKicks%2BMichael%2BBisping%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B55%2BUberlandia.gif
giphy.gif

RashHonestKiskadee.gif

1iTITe8iCaU4tnUY.gif

oqxRJI.gif

Luke has really good kicks. That would be his main hope on the feet. Try to keep it at long range.

He wants no part of boxing range / trading hands with Bobby knux.

If Michael Bisping's boxing was able to KO Rockhold on 2 weeks notice, I'm sure Whittaker's boxing can starch Rockhold.

Whitaker is gonna slap the salt out of his mouth.

Jacare couldn’t do shit to him, luke ain’t gonna have any success getting him down or success if he gets him down.

Does anybody think Rockhold can beat Whittaker only on the feet, if the fight doesn´t go to the ground?
yes.

but his chances improve dramatically if he ends up in top control.

question: has anyone held top control against Whittaker long enough to actually accomplish anything?

I'd bet on Whittaker taking it. But Luke is sneaky, he can definitely pull it off

Whitaker is gonna slap the salt out of his mouth.

Jacare couldn’t do shit to him, luke ain’t gonna have any success getting him down or success if he gets him down.

I am leaning towards Whittaker but let's not forget Jacare basically had Whittaker's back very early in that fight. Whittaker stood up and escaped before Jacare could get his hooks in and break him back down to the mat. We also found out Jacare had a torn pectoral muscle going into that fight and had surgery on it soon after.

I think Whittaker can KO Luke but I also won't be surprised if Luke or a healthy Jacare could submit him.

I think fight will be won by who can dictate where the fight takes place. Rockhold is the more complete fighter but if he can't take and keep Robert down he loses.

I see Whittaker as taking it so long as he is able to make sure Rockhold never gets on top of him. That's a major condition though; I'm not liking Whittaker's chances if Rockhold gets in top position, even if he';s in Whittaker's guard, or gets is back for even a few seconds. As far as stand up goes, Rockhold can undoubtedly use his kicks but I imagine Whittaker's been training around the clock on how to contend with guys who have really good kicking games.

rockhold sleeps on the first solid punch he takes.

I don't dislike Rockhold.

But him losing and turning into RockSalt is hilarious.

And Whitaker is one of my favs right now.

So

#WarBobbyKnuckles

Why don't know why people are counting Rockhold out of a stand up fight.

Like he's so bad, or Robert is some boxing legend.

I think Rockhold screwed if he can't take it to the ground. To keep the fight standing would favor Whittaker by miles, maybe imposes his clinch game that's something new his been learning with Henry.

Why don't know why people are counting Rockhold out of a stand up fight.

Like he's so bad, or Robert is some boxing legend.

counting out is probably not what's going on. except for those binary thinkers we should just ignore.

but it's not easy. Whittaker has proven to be a very strong, agile, fast (and more importantly quick) with his heavy hands, with great footwork and octagon control.

and Whittaker is also very patient. so Rockhold will have to win rounds by using kicks and length. without eventually getting his timing figured out.

it's a challenge and i'm sure he'll be ready. but there are sound reasons why so many are picking Whittaker.

In Rockhold's last fight it actually looked like his defense standing up had declined, which was weird. I don't think he can take Whittaker down either.

counting out is probably not what's going on. except for those binary thinkers we should just ignore.

but it's not easy. Whittaker has proven to be a very strong, agile, fast (and more importantly quick) with his heavy hands, with great footwork and octagon control.

and Whittaker is also very patient. so Rockhold will have to win rounds by using kicks and length. without eventually getting his timing figured out.

it's a challenge and i'm sure he'll be ready. but there are sound reasons why so many are picking Whittaker.

Maybe I just stumbled across too many of thos binary guys then.
Rockhold is going to be his tuffest test for sure.

Didn't Rockhold almost lose his last fight?

Maybe I just stumbled across too many of thos binary guys then.
Rockhold is going to be his tuffest test for sure.
definitely. Rockhold has been a top MW for much of the last decade. he's good at most everything.

but his bread and butter is to eventually get the fight to the ground. because he's just so utterly fucking dominant there. the way he handled Weidman was like me doing the typewriter while in full mount to my redheaded stepbrother. and Weidman was supposed to be a grappler extraordinaire....

Rockhold beat Jacare standing, half a lifetime ago. with kicks. for obvious reasons he didn't try to take that to the ground.

but i think Whittaker has more options, standing. except for kicks from distance, he has more power, control, and quickness. i also think he has better footwork, slips better, has better timing, and counters better. and so far - i could be wrong, but - i don't think he's really gotten hurt at 185 yet.

it's a fucking hell of a fight. and we deserve a hell of a fight after the last two years of horseshit, so i'm glad we're finally getting one.

Rockhold has a huge advantage on the ground. The problem is that Whittaker is very hard to be taken down.

Luke%2BRockhold%2BQuestion%2BMark%2BKicks%2BMichael%2BBisping%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B55%2BUberlandia.gif
giphy.gif

RashHonestKiskadee.gif

1iTITe8iCaU4tnUY.gif

oqxRJI.gif
Rockhold has terrible head movement and footwork. Terrible defense too. He's got kicks and his ground game is phenomenal. But he's kind of similar to RR in skillset.

Back