If Spence Takes The Ring Away From Thurman, He Snatches His Soul

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just re-watched Thurman v Porter. After seeing Thurman having no response while against the ropes against Porter I am convinced Spence will do him in. Thurman came off that 2nd round winded, and bad from the inside work of Porter. The success Thurman had in the fight came from being in the center of the ring and having enough space to land counter shots on Porter coming forward. Spence's body punching style would overwhelm Thurman.

If they eventually meet I give the fight to Spence. I'm going to go big on that call and say by stoppage (TKO).

Thoughts?

spence likely stops him, but that's no knock on thurman. spence will batter anyone at 147.

i think it would be a pretty great fight, to be honest. thurman is definitely not gun-shy, and spence doesn't back off. i can't imagine it being anything but fireworks.

Yeah, I'd agree with your assessment, Spence bodywork could spell big trouble for Thurman. Spence stops him after the middle rounds.

Meh, maybe. People hate on Thurman but the guy is a good fighter. Spence isn't walking over him. Thurman is a big step up for Spence.

Meh, maybe. People hate on Thurman but the guy is a good fighter. Spence isn't walking over him. Thurman is a big step up for Spence.

Thurman is not beating Spence on the ropes. Thurman loses ground when he takes shots to the body, he backed up against Porter, he covered against Porter.

He did manage to trade off the ropes a few times, however, it was when he was afforded the room to do so. In the center of the ring he'll win the fight. Against the ropes Spence will eat him. It would be commendable but foolish to fight that way with Spence.

Thurman is not beating Spence on the ropes. Thurman loses ground when he takes shots to the body, he backed up against Porter, he covered against Porter.

He did manage to trade off the ropes a few times, however, it was when he was afforded the room to do so. In the center of the ring he'll win the fight. Against the ropes Spence will eat him. It would be commendable but foolish to fight that way with Spence.
He beat Porter pretty clean though, IMO.

He beat Porter pretty clean though, IMO.

I agree. I think Thurman can beat him (Spence). I just wouldn't advise him to have his back against the ropes from what I saw, using Porter as an example. His volume goes way down, and he shelled up. You have to punch to win a boxing match. Now if you're strategy is tire the opponent out like the rope a dope then okay, risky, but yeah. I don't see Spence tiring. I see Thurman winning in the center of the ring, Spence wins if it's against the ropes. I hope they fight soon.

I am leaning on Spence over Thurman as well. But looking at the Brook fight, his strategy was pretty crude getting in. And Brook was hitting him. I reckon Thurman hits harder then Brook, knows how to get respect better, and then stay one step ahead on the scorecard as well.
Would really like to see Spence break him though

Thurman will keep it interesting for the first 4-6 rounds but Spence will stop him late or sweep the last half of the fight.

I am leaning on Spence over Thurman as well. But looking at the Brook fight, his strategy was pretty crude getting in. And Brook was hitting him. I reckon Thurman hits harder then Brook, knows how to get respect better, and then stay one step ahead on the scorecard as well.
Would really like to see Spence break him though

True. Brook is not a bum. See how he beat Porter. That's a tough fight. The only two losses he has are to Spence, and GGG who is a MW. The feared MW prior to the Canelo loss. However, I agree that Brook gave Spence difficulties.

That's a good example that you mention. If Thurman's camp studies what Brook did right in that fight they could replicate it. Brook was stopped, but he also was having eye problems. Overall, I give Spence a 60% maybe 70% chance to beat Thurman.

Keith doesnt seem awash with confidence concerning Errol, that cherished 0 and all.

Who can beat Porter off the ropes?

Keef buckled Porter off the ropes too
ThirdIlliterateCockerspaniel.webp

Keef vs Spence is a 50/50 fight

Thurman is a hell of a fighter, but so is Kell brook who also has a win over porter and I would have favored to beat Danny G as well. So I don't see it as that big of a step up for Spence from the Brook title fight on UK soil. Having said that, I've played the fight over and over in my mind and it always ends up competitive up until the late second half of the fight of the fight when Spence's offense and pressure wears Thurman down with the last 2 to 3 rounds ending in a stoppage or a one sided beat down.

Thurman is a hell of a fighter, but so is Kell brook who also has a win over porter and I would have favored to beat Danny G as well. So I don't see it as that big of a step up for Spence from the Brook title fight on UK soil. Having said that, I've played the fight over and over in my mind and it always ends up competitive up until the late second half of the fight of the fight when Spence's offense and pressure wears Thurman down with the last 2 to 3 rounds ending in a stoppage or a one sided beat down.
Meh, whats Brook done besides get his face broken by other good fighters?

Meh, whats Brook done besides get his face broken by other good fighters?

Gotta remember that Brook has Keith's best win on his resume as well , Shawn Porter, and beat Shawn when he was undefeated and for the IBF title on American soil. And that is why Brook is by far the best name on EJ's resume, and why he can demand other top names in the 147 division.

Who can beat Porter off the ropes?

Keef buckled Porter off the ropes too
ThirdIlliterateCockerspaniel.webp

Keef vs Spence is a 50/50 fight

I remember him buckling, for some reason I think it was in the center of the ring. Have to watch the fight again.

Back