If the UFC had a combine, what exercises would be used to gauge athleticism?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Just as the title reads, if the UFC had to pick exercises to gauge the athleticism of a MMA fighter, which metrics would they choose?

The NFL Combine uses
40 yard dash
225 Bench AMRAP
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
20 Yard Shuffle
3 cone drill
and bunch more, but these seem to be the highlighted ones.

For MMA
40 Yard dash might be a good metric of explosive power. Fighters that run a 4.5-5 probably get more knockouts then someone running a 6+

1 Mile run. Once again, I bet most fighters that can run a 5-6 minute mile rarely gas compared to fighters who do 8+ minutes.

Burpees AMRAP. The ability to constantly sprawl on continuous attempts. Scramble ability

Sled pull: Takedown drive

Agility cones: Footwork and movement

1 minute heavybag round as many strikes as possible

Vertical Jump: Self explanatory

What else do you think would be a good metric?

The NFL Combine:
40 yard dash
225 Bench AMRAP
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
20 Yard Shuffle
3 cone drill
and bunch more, but these seem to be the highlighted ones.

The James Thompson drill - How many dvd's of fights you can watch
Posts per day on Sherdog
Dana White's Kiss My Ass club similar to Vince McMahon's

would all have to be included in any UFC combine

242fedcbb3d52c547887221ace8f4205.png

MMA isn't something to be measured with some random exercises. I'd argue NFL it isn't great either. Way more variables in mma, especially since it's a combination of sports.

As a sports performance Ph.D. student who used to work with fighters, I am testing athletes who I am doing online consultations with for their 1) reactive strength 2) elastic strength 3) lower-body speed strength 4) upper-body speed strength 5) maximal strength/power

My buddy works with NFL athletes down in Pompano Beach and while everyone trains the 225 bench AMRAP for the NFL draft, EVERY sports-performance coach knows that it is a stupid measurement because football is primarily an ATP-Pc energy-system sport.

Im trying to find out as many workouts as possable that will help me with my mma future/adventure thank you for this post.

How far can you throw a dolly, how fast can you clear an octagon fence, that kind of thing. and can you bench 275.

Well, frist you have to decide what to test for. Explosive strength usually isn't very important for a fighter, but velocity of unloaded movement is. Isometric strength for grapplers?

I know Americans always want to hear that max strength is king, but tbh, I'd just let them do some Tameshiwari and hand dynamometers or something.

Combines are fucking retarded.

So this. The amount of NFL, CFL, NHL combine numbers, most those athletes become mediocre or gone in the upper leagues. Still solid athletes compared to everyone else, but it doesn't do shit really VO2Max isn't a horrible thing though, gives trainers an idea for pre camp.

Im trying to find out as many workouts as possable that will help me with my mma future/adventure thank you for this post.
Look into Functional Patterns by Naudi Aguilar. Kyle Dake started using it a year or 2 ago and just blasted through worlds without surrendering a single point.

Look into Functional Patterns by Naudi Aguilar. Kyle Dake started using it a year or 2 ago and just blasted through worlds without surrendering a single point.

Were you around when Naudi came to sherdog and started arguing with well respected posters and started calling them stupid when he was asked to qualify the statements he was making? Lots of technical terms and text book reading but little idea of how to apply those ideas. He was a pretty big joke on the forums for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure someone around here kept a running tally of the wins/losses his pro MMA clients had......didn't look good. At the time Myles Jury was the only one that had more wins than losses under the tutelage of Naudi.

Were you around when Naudi came to sherdog and started arguing with well respected posters and started calling them stupid when he was asked to qualify the statements he was making? Lots of technical terms and text book reading but little idea of how to apply those ideas. He was a pretty big joke on the forums for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure someone around here kept a running tally of the wins/losses his pro MMA clients had......didn't look good. At the time Myles Jury was the only one that had more wins than losses under the tutelage of Naudi.
No I had no idea about that. The only MMA guy I may remember him working with was Jeremy Stephens. I had just recently heard of Naudi again when Kyle Dake talked about how much he helped him fix some injuries and increase his performance. There's no doubt about the results Dake has gotten but I know little about the guy overall. Naudi that is.

Last edited:
No I had no idea about that. The only MMA guy I may remember him working with was Jeremy Stephens. I had just recently heard of Naudi again when Kyle Dake talked about how much he helped him fix some injuries and increase his performance. There's no doubt about the results Dake has gotten but I know little about the guy overall. Naudi that is.

http://forums.sherdog.com/search/168349195/?q=naudi&o=date&c[node]=13

A quick search will show how popular Naudi is and the thoughts people on f13 have had of him over the years.

How much grass can you smoke.
How many lines can you put up your nose.

Back