If you hate Danaher for his teaching style.. you have to Hate Hall

Ya. My former friend who was in the military who served a few years used to wear his uniform to odd places after he returned.

He loved the attention lol. I remember him wearing his uniform to buy a car at the dealership and other places.

The funny thing is he joined the military because he couldn't cut it in the civilian world. (He could never keep a job longer than a few months.)

I stopped talking to him because he became annoying and acted like civilians owed him something lol.
Most of my odd friends who do things like wear certain things in public weren’t doing it for attention. Most of what I’ve seen and heard leads me to things he’s on the spectrum including the things Serena gave him grief for.

Danaher is a brilliant instructor. But the guy comes off like he loves the smell of his own farts.

Cordero and Ludwig actually competed. Like is said, danaher is a good coach, teacher, but competitor no.

I mean literally no one is claiming he's a competitor and the thread is about his teaching sooooo

Most of what I’ve seen and heard leads me to things he’s on the spectrum

Do you think anyone on the spectrum would work as a night club bouncer?
If you believe Danaher suffers from some mysterious retardation making fun of him doesn't make much sense.
I'm heavily convinced that he is just constructing himself an annoying persona, he feels exactly like weird Uncle Danaher sitcom character.

Do you think anyone on the spectrum would work as a night club bouncer?
If you believe Danaher suffers from some mysterious retardation making fun of him doesn't make much sense.
I'm heavily convinced that he is just constructing himself an annoying persona, he feels exactly like weird Uncle Danaher sitcom character.
Wow

How much experience do you have with spec ed kids? And “mysterious retardation”? I’m basing my opinion off actual experience and having a girlfriend who works in spec ed. Autism is what’s called a spectrum disorder, it manifests in several levels and several ways which is why I said ASD not full blown autism. And I know plenty of people with ASD of varying levels who do jobs like bouncing. You clearly need help dude, and to raise your own self esteem a bit

I mean literally no one is claiming he's a competitor and the thread is about his teaching sooooo

I was defending hall over danaher is all lol. Hall could atleast be competitive with other grapplers and who himself is a teacher. Danaher would have problems with Athletic athletes and people get worked by decent grapplers .

Danaher has that attitude that he thinks he good himself when in reality he's not good at all.

And “mysterious retardation”?

I just don't believe your diagnosis. I have experienced people showing all the individual Danaher weirdness at it was all a result of them being full of themselves/douchebags.

I just don't believe your diagnosis. I have experienced people showing all the individual Danaher weirdness at it was all a result of them being full of themselves/douchebags.
Because you are an objective observant person with such vast experience with spec ed kids. Don’t worry im not actually trying to convince you. I will say that using the term “mysterious retardation” says a lot about you

Edit: not even from a Politically correct point of view. I don’t really care that you used the word “retarded” but the way you used it and the context, says a lot about how you look at people.

Last edited:
I was defending hall over danaher is all lol. Hall could atleast be competitive with other grapplers and who himself is a teacher. Danaher would have problems with Athletic athletes and people get worked by decent grapplers .

Danaher has that attitude that he thinks he good himself when in reality he's not good at all.

Does an instructor have to be able to tool every person that exists to be knowledgeable or a good teacher? Do you think Helio Gracie, in his final days, would be able to beat "athletic athletes" (as opposed to unathletic athletes??)? Probably not. Would you have things to learn from him? Probably so.

Jiu jitsu culture is stuck on the "great man theory" and it kills me. You don't have to be a top level competitor to have a deep knowledge of BJJ. Likewise being a top level competitor doesn't mean you can teach worth a damn (or even consciously know what you're doing that makes it work). Cus Damato raised Tyson, Patterson, and Torres, and taught some of the greatest coaches that have ever been...yet his boxing career never left the amateur level (due to eye injury, but whatever). Should he be ignored because he couldn't tool any person that walked in the door?

I look forward to the day when BJJ culture lauds good competitors, and good instructors, and understands the two categories don't have to (or may ever) over lap.

Do you think Helio Gracie, in his final days, would be able to beat "athletic athletes" (as opposed to unathletic athletes??)? Probably not. Would you have things to learn from him? Probably so.

I wouldn't be so sure you could learn a lot of from Helio. Loads of super old school highly ranked (red belts etc.) guys on youtube suck hard because they remain stuck way back in the past and teach outdated version of stuff and old fads.
I learned better half guard stuff (1 technique I used at the ACB European Championships) from Thalison Soares than Gordo.

Does an instructor have to be able to tool every person that exists to be knowledgeable or a good teacher? Do you think Helio Gracie, in his final days, would be able to beat "athletic athletes" (as opposed to unathletic athletes??)? Probably not. Would you have things to learn from him? Probably so.

Jiu jitsu culture is stuck on the "great man theory" and it kills me. You don't have to be a top level competitor to have a deep knowledge of BJJ. Likewise being a top level competitor doesn't mean you can teach worth a damn (or even consciously know what you're doing that makes it work). Cus Damato raised Tyson, Patterson, and Torres, and taught some of the greatest coaches that have ever been...yet his boxing career never left the amateur level (due to eye injury, but whatever). Should he be ignored because he couldn't tool any person that walked in the door?

I look forward to the day when BJJ culture lauds good competitors, and good instructors, and understands the two categories don't have to (or may ever) over lap.

I agree with everything you said. I just have issues when instructors who don't compete or train hard act like they do. That is is all.

He's a Renzo Gracie BB who by all accounts was terrific on the mats before his physical problems got in the way of rolling. All of his students who used to roll with him speak very highly of his abilities. I think it's pretty unlikely he'd have problems with athletic guys or merely decent grapplers.

He's a Renzo Gracie BB who by all accounts was terrific on the mats before his physical problems got in the way of rolling. All of his students who used to roll with him speak very highly of his abilities. I think it's pretty unlikely he'd have problems with athletic guys or merely decent grapplers.

I've heard from people who have trained with danaher and say the opposite too. His injuries are not as bad as he claims. Like to instruct than actually roll. "Danaher has said that rolling doesn't interest him."

Matt Serra called him out about that statement .Matt Serra has trained with damaged over the years and actually trolls danaher all the time lol.

A very simple question helps illustrate this point: how much does your personal athleticism have to do with your teaching ability? Because if you want to be a high level grappling competitor, you better be pretty damn athletic. You can have the best technique in the world, the highest level of understanding, but if your opponents are almost as good as you technically and much stronger and faster you're not going to win very often, but that says nothing about your ability to train others. It's pretty typical for good coaches in all sports to be guys who had middling careers where they had to grind for every advantage because they didn't have the athletic talent to succeed without learning their sport really deeply. You need to be good enough to get exposure to top level training so that you can learn the best technique, but not so great that you just get by on physicality. Of course in fight sports you can often learn from the best largely just be signing up at their gym and hanging around a lot, so there are even fewer barriers to entry than in sports where you have to make it professional leagues to really get the best coaching.

I agree with everything you said. I just have issues when instructors who don't compete or train hard act like they do.

Does Danaher act like he trains hard? I'm pretty sure he believes himself to be the smartest man on earth but I haven't seen pretend to be a competitors or an athlete.
Why should some who is permanently injured sacrifice the rest of his health by training?

Does Danaher act like he trains hard? I'm pretty sure he believes himself to be the smartest man on earth but I haven't seen pretend to be a competitors or an athlete.
Why should some who is permanently injured sacrifice the rest of his health by training?
You truly have a hard on for hating Danaher.

Back