If you haven't caught the new Andre docu. On HBO.

Pumphrey94

Pumphrey
@purple
Reaction score
De finetly check it out , haven't watched wrestling in awhile but always like stuff like this about older guys , really well done.

Got it on my hard drive
Gonna watch tonight

I have it on my DVR. Will watch soon.

De finetly check it out , haven't watched wrestling in awhile but always like stuff like this about older guys , really well done.
I thought it was meh. Very much in the same vein as Andre's other documentary, Larger than Life. Worth a watch once, especially if you haven't seen the Larger than Life documentary but would have been great if we knew more about his actual home life, if more time was spent with his actual family.

Spoiler!

Andre was 7'5" and WrestleMania 3 was held in front of 90,000 people.

Spoiler!

Andre was 7'5" and WrestleMania 3 was held in front of 90,000 people.
The kayfabe still seeps out at times. There was a moment where Shane talks about Big John Studd and he was like "Big John Studd is 6'10"

With that said, Vince was honest. There was a part where he said "Andre was billed as 7'4" but I think he was over 7' but whether it was 4" more, I don't know."

Flair's little bit about Andre's size reaffirms all you've heard about Flair lol

Flair's little bit about Andre's size reaffirms all you've heard about Flair lol

"He wore a size 24 ring. He wore a size 24 boot. You figure it out." Lofl

It turned into a Hulk Hogan documentary half way through lol.

Caught it last night.

Wife watched because of the Princess Bride connection.

Her takeaway "So WM3 was his last match because he was in so much pain...."
Me: "Actually he wrestled at WM6 three years later"
Her: "but he's dying!"

It turned into a Hulk Hogan documentary half way through lol.
Yes, half way through, it become alot more about Hogan or at the very lest, a 50/50 commentary on Hogan and Andre's feud.
Caught it last night.

Wife watched because of the Princess Bride connection.

Her takeaway "So WM3 was his last match because he was in so much pain...."
Me: "Actually he wrestled at WM6 three years later"
Her: "but he's dying!"
Yes, this part too. Alot of inconsistencies, very much a WWE-approved product

I don't see the inconsistency there. They went on to say he wrestled in very limited capacity after WM3, showed moments from WM5 with Jake, the and even touched on him being put in a tag team to ease his workload near the end of his career.

Yes, half way through, it become alot more about Hogan or at the very lest, a 50/50 commentary on Hogan and Andre's feud.

Once I saw it advertised on WWE Network I knew it would at least be WWE neutral.

Once I saw it advertised on WWE Network I knew it would at least be WWE neutral.

Executive Producer... Kevin Dunn

I don't see the inconsistency there. They went on to say he wrestled in very limited capacity after WM3, showed moments from WM5 with Jake, the and even touched on him being put in a tag team to ease his workload near the end of his career.
It wasn't just the "he's got a bad back and can't wrestle anymore". Yes they mentioned how he stayed on for matches after that, usually in tag teams and he would lean on other wrestlers or hold the ropes. Talks of him being 7'4" and then minutes later, Vince basically says he's not 7'4". Talks of Big John Studd being a legit 6'10" or how Andre would drink all of this yet in the next breath, basically dismiss it by saying alot of the things said about Andre and his drinking came from the lore, fishing stories so to speak. Then they go back to adding more stories about Andre drinking. Let's not forget the talk of how the fans loved him, how he was a babyface for most of his career and fans everywhere wanted to take a picture of Andre and then minutes later, we have Hogan and White talking about how fans would spew despicable comments at him when they saw him.

Of course there was the talk of how nice he was, what a friendly giant he was, how everyone loved him and then the next moment, Hogan and others talk about how mean and ruthless he could be to other wrestlers who were respectful to him. The talk of how Macho Man was very nice and respectful to Andre yet Andre would take liberties with him simply because he had baby oil on his skin, something every wrestler put on. The talk of his mood swings etc.

They talk about how strong and tough he was yet left out a crucial story because the director wanted Andre to be a loving giant, someone who lived a very hard and burdensome life (likely very true). When they were talking about Andre's toughness and how strong he was, a segment was film where Flair talked about the time Flair saw Andre take Blackjack Mulligan and Dick Murdoch out to the beach to attempt to drown both of them because Murdoch egged Mulligan into punching Andre in the face during a game of cards. The director felt it would put Andre in a very bad light so it was left out.

The worst thing about it was the fact that they purposely left out about 20mins of footage and interview from Andre's daughter, illegitimate, and much of it was left out simply because it wasn't in line with what the WWE wanted because she wasn't in very good standing with the WWE. Two stores that were left out was the first time she met her father and the last time she saw her father. The first time was when he came to a doctor's office to hear the results of the blood test, which proved he was her father and the last time she saw him was in court hearing over child support.

It wasn't just the "he's got a bad back and can't wrestle anymore". Yes they mentioned how he stayed on for matches after that, usually in tag teams and he would lean on other wrestlers or hold the ropes. Talks of him being 7'4" and then minutes later, Vince basically says he's not 7'4". Talks of Big John Studd being a legit 6'10" or how Andre would drink all of this yet in the next breath, basically dismiss it by saying alot of the things said about Andre and his drinking came from the lore, fishing stories so to speak. Then they go back to adding more stories about Andre drinking. Let's not forget the talk of how the fans loved him, how he was a babyface for most of his career and fans everywhere wanted to take a picture of Andre and then minutes later, we have Hogan and White talking about how fans would spew despicable comments at him when they saw him.

Of course there was the talk of how nice he was, what a friendly giant he was, how everyone loved him and then the next moment, Hogan and others talk about how mean and ruthless he could be to other wrestlers who were respectful to him. The talk of how Macho Man was very nice and respectful to Andre yet Andre would take liberties with him simply because he had baby oil on his skin, something every wrestler put on. The talk of his mood swings etc.

They talk about how strong and tough he was yet left out a crucial story because the director wanted Andre to be a loving giant, someone who lived a very hard and burdensome life (likely very true). When they were talking about Andre's toughness and how strong he was, a segment was film where Flair talked about the time Flair saw Andre take Blackjack Mulligan and Dick Murdoch out to the beach to attempt to drown both of them because Murdoch egged Mulligan into punching Andre in the face during a game of cards. The director felt it would put Andre in a very bad light so it was left out.

I don't see inconsistencies there, so much as many sides to many stories. Why do you take issue with them saying he was loved by the fans, but also had moments in public, where he would be treated like a freak and made fun of? What is inconsistent about that? Can both not be true? I don't get that complaint.

The worst thing about it was the fact that they purposely left out about 20mins of footage and interview from Andre's daughter, illegitimate, and much of it was left out simply because it wasn't in line with what the WWE wanted because she wasn't in very good standing with the WWE.

I doubt that was the overall reason. It's an hour and a half, and they gave her a few minutes to say that he wasn't the greatest father in the world, and that their relationship wasn't the greatest. That's all that needs to be said. At the end of the day, it's celebratory doc about Andre's life, not his daughter's hardships.

It almost seems like you wanted the documentary to shit all over him.

It almost seems like you wanted the documentary to shit all over him.
It’s a great documentary if you know nothing about Andre or weren’t a huge wrestling fan. Otherwise it’s no different than Larger than Life and it could have been much more interesting to include his flaws. You see, that’s where we differ. By including his flaws, you see it as “shitting all over him” but I’d prefer more truth than adding more to the myth of Andre. It was nice to hear from a few of his family members but it was quickly became a Hogan doc with 23 mins out of 85 mins. And they include but 2 mins total of commentary from his only living child.

Obviously we were both looking for different things. I was looking more for Andre the person out of the ring rather than Andre the wrestler. Oh yes, my apologies; didn’t know I could not give my opinion about this documentary. It was A+ fantastic, out of this world and revolutionary.

Sarcasm aside, the Flair 30 for 30 was more of what I was hoping for. An unapologetic look at Ric Flair the wrestler and the person. Anyhow, glad you felt it was superb. I just thought it was a decent watch, nothing more and only elaborated because you basically asked for my opinion.

I doubt that was the overall reason.
Some of us KNOW that's why. The director, Jason Hehir, noted that he asked a few questions to Andre's daughter about her relationship with Andre and her relationship with the WWE but left it out and didn't go into it in the film because it didn't " we felt it didn’t fit into the film or Andre’s life." Anyhow, this will be my last post in this thread.

Last edited:
It’s a great documentary if you know nothing about Andre or weren’t a huge wrestling fan.

How so? Kind of an odd statement. Why wouldn't a big wresting fan like it?

Otherwise it’s no different than Larger than Life and it could have been much more interesting to include his flaws. You see, that’s where we differ. By including his flaws, you see it as “shitting all over him” but I’d prefer more truth than adding more to the myth of Andre. It was nice to hear from a few of his family members but it was quickly became a Hogan doc with 23 mins out of 85 mins. And they include but 2 mins total of commentary from his only living child.

Other than him being a ball buster, and a typical shitty father because of the business he was in, what were these flaws you were looking for? What do you know outside of what they showed? That he was a prick to some people, and demanded respect? They covered that. It's up to you how you read into it, but the information was in there.

You clearly have a ax to grind here, and I'm just curious as to why. I mean, you're complaining about his drinking stories were portrayed, for god's sake. Like it was some dastardly deception. I don't even understand the Hogan complaints. WM3 was as big a part of Andre's career, as it was Hogan's, and Hogan is only participant left alive to tell the story, other than Vince McMahon. Of course that monumental part of Andre's career is going to included, along with everything that led up to it. It's going to include Hogan, and that whole transition period.

Sarcasm aside, the Flair 30 for 30 was more of what I was hoping for. An unapologetic look at Ric Flair the wrestler and the person. Anyhow, glad you felt it was superb. I just thought it was a decent watch, nothing more and only elaborated because you basically asked for my opinion.

It's also just possible that Ric Flair has a lot more warts to expose in his personal life.

Some of us KNOW that's why. The director, Jason Hehir, noted that he asked a few questions to Andre's daughter about her relationship with Andre and her relationship with the WWE but left it out and didn't go into it in the film because it didn't " we felt it didn’t fit into the film or Andre’s life."

Yeah, that's normal for any doc. It would be one thing if they left her out altogether, but they didn't do that. She didn't fit with the flow of the documentary. It's a creative decision.

I watched it last night. It was good but the biggest thing I took from it was how horrible Hulk Hogan was at promos in those early days.

I was cringing really hard at that Piper's Pit spot where he got his shirt tore off and tried to cry lol, fucking brutal.

I watched it last night. It was good but the biggest thing I took from it was how horrible Hulk Hogan was at promos in those early days.

I was cringing really hard at that Piper's Pit spot where he got his shirt tore off and tried to cry lol, fucking brutal.
Hogan was horrible at promos?<Eek2.0><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><45><45><45><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>
Fuckin kids

Back