Igor Vovchanchyn the unsung GOAT....?

Reach4theSky

Playin' a riddim
@Gold
Reaction score
Was watching the first Absolute MMA championship on Youtube when I noticed a very young Igor Vovchanchyn competing in the tournament.
That got me to look up Igor's record ( http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Igor-Vovchanchyn-300 ). The dude went on 36 fight unbeaten streak(32 straight wins before a NC to Mark fckin Kerr), impressive no matter which way you cut it. Igor was only 5'8 205lbs fighting mostly heavyweights. Had he cut to/fought in his natural weight class(WW maybe?) and competed in a division with guys his size we might be talking about Igor as GOAT..

With the nauseating amount of "Goat threads" on sherdog, how come Igor is rarely or never mentioned?

Side note - I find it funny BJ gets all kind of props on here for fighting a HW Machida when Igor did it his whole career. And Igor's opponents were TRUE heavyweights, not some blown up middleweight..

War Igor!!

giphy.gif

With the nauseating amount of "Goat threads" on sherdog, how come Igor is rarely or never mentioned?

Well, at least you highlighted the most tedious debate in MMA.

This infatuation with who is the GOAT is like a disease.........and an infatuation.

Was watching the first Absolute MMA championship on Youtube when I noticed a very young Igor Vovchanchyn competing in the tournament.
That got me to look up Igor's record ( http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Igor-Vovchanchyn-300 ). The dude went on 36 fight unbeaten streak(32 straight wins before a NC to Mark fckin Kerr), impressive no matter which way you cut it. Igor was only 5'8 205lbs fighting mostly heavyweights. Had he cut to/fought in his natural weight class(WW maybe?) and competed in a division with guys his size we might be talking about Igor as GOAT..

Side note - I find it funny BJ gets all kind of props on here for fighting a HW Machida when Igor did it his whole career. And Igor's opponents were TRUE heavyweights, not some blown up middleweight..

War Igor!!

giphy.gif

Igor's the fucking man, no doubt.

But it's pure speculation what he may have done if he cut weight, and he didn't win any major titles.

Had he beaten Coleman for the PRIDE grand prix, you'd hear more about him.

Big Igor fan. I got some old school event on DVD from Ukraine he kicks ass in. Think the league was called IFC

Paul Varelans is in it too

If Igor would have fought at 185 he wouldn't have that insane speed and explosive advantage over most of his opponents. That helped his style though he would have been a fucking hitter at that weight.

Igor was king of one night tournaments through his career. Helped his winning streak get so high.

I first saw him years ago in an Alaskan tournament. I don't remember the name. He looked like a little kid beating the shit out of Paul Varlans in the final. It was epic.

Had he beaten Coleman for the PRIDE grand prix, you'd hear more about him.
Yeah, but in hindsight we're talking about juiced to the gills Mark Coleman who was way bigger/stronger than Igor. that'd be like Stipe beating up Woodley..

I liked Igor but honestly only saw him in pride and his record was padded against guys we know nothing about. Telligman loss kind of changed the way I viewed his record.

I liked Igor but honestly only saw him in pride and his record was padded against guys we know nothing about. Telligman loss kind of changed the way I viewed his record.

Losses to Telligman and Mikhail Ilyukhin, debatably should have lost to Nick Nutter in their first fight. Igor was definitely one of the best of his era, but pretty much fought cans and freak shows (other than the fights I mentioned) during his win streak. The same is true of Mark Kerr, who ironically went downhill after facing Igor.

Telligman loss kind of changed the way I viewed his record.
I'm going to start sounding repetitive in this thread but..

Tra - 6'2 233lbs. Igor was losing to guys way bigger than him..

The main issue is timing,
He was a very special kind of fighter.
But by the time MMA got some real notoriety he was already a longtime in the road and had broken his hands several times.
It didn’t help the fact that his big time chance was at the PRIDE GP and Coleman made him tap.
Arguably Mark had it waaay easier to the finals but that is part of the GP format.

Watching some of those old VTs with him fighting without gloves it was insanity.

He is in my badass GOAT list though.
At the top all time 5 HWs.
But his no part of what we should call “modern”MMA elite.

ive always considered igor goat over fedor. i deal with my sherbro ridicule accordingly

That's the one who posts here on Sherdog, right?

<21>

Back