Ilk's Log - Boxing, soccer, conditioning

Hey man, nice to see you starting the new thing. I know you didn't ask but I'll come with a short input and then you can take it or leave it.

I would lower the weight on the reverse flys. As soon as you struggle you are not targeting what you want to target with it. You want to feel it primarily in the back part of the shoulder or a little between the shoulder blades, not in your upper traps or neck. So don't let your shoulders shoot up towards your ears either. Takes some practice.

I know you want to be swole, but the Super Set 3 you could easily remove. If you're skipping and running your calfs will get plenty volume (although calf rasies slow and paused are good for overuse injury prevention), and the curls and triceps you get worked a lot in other activities (pulls, bench, OHP, rows, boxing). Fine if you want to do them, but if you feel like you're doing too much, that Super Set you can go without easily. I would not do it, I would recover instead.

Question, is your max squat and max benchpress the same?

Also, I would upload a squat video and let the guys critique your technique if you feel an issue with form and are not sure. That or film it and upload it and send it to me if you don't want to publicize it.

Anyway, stay on course and keep up the good work! You only need time.

Hey Sano

I will take the advice on the reverse flyes. I actually do them on a peck deck machine as I am not comfortable with the movement yet, but I will definitely lower the weight.

I do not skip too much (once per week for 3 mins) or run for too long. This is why I am doing calfs right now. And yeah I take my time with them, slow with holding on top. I am hoping they will help me with the preventing shin splints I am having, so I can run longer. Regarding biceps and triceps I really do not feel if they are getting tired to be honest, this is why when I feel it I add it to my work out. It is not that I do too much work, I pick up approx 15-20kg and work with them for 2-4 sets with 10-15 reps depends on how I feel it. I just like the visuals post work out when the blood has flooded my arms.

Yes my max squad and bench are about the same. I can probably squat with more but the technique is bad. I got feedback from friends. My problem is basically going forward with my back and carrying some load in some of the reps on my back, instead on my leg, which probably can leadto an injury with higher weights. So I decided to hold on weight until I fix the form. As you can see I squad even 4ties per week so I can work on form, 2 times with 40 kg for reps post boxing work out working on form with my friends who correct me.

Other than that so far I only feel that my shoulders are tired. I am thinking of removing the lateral rises from the Strength Training A. Because I do shoulders Monday at boxing and Strenght A, then Tuesday when doing circuits, then Wednesday OHP, then Thursday again when boxing, then Friday in circuit and then in Saturday in Strength A. So they are definitely getting over worked. I will test it out how I feel next week and if I feel to tired I will drop the lateral rises.

Hey Sano

I will take the advice on the reverse flyes. I actually do them on a peck deck machine as I am not comfortable with the movement yet, but I will definitely lower the weight.

I do not skip too much (once per week for 3 mins) or run for too long. This is why I am doing calfs right now. And yeah I take my time with them, slow with holding on top. I am hoping they will help me with the preventing shin splints I am having, so I can run longer. Regarding biceps and triceps I really do not feel if they are getting tired to be honest, this is why when I feel it I add it to my work out. It is not that I do too much work, I pick up approx 15-20kg and work with them for 2-4 sets with 10-15 reps depends on how I feel it. I just like the visuals post work out when the blood has flooded my arms.

Yes my max squad and bench are about the same. I can probably squat with more but the technique is bad. I got feedback from friends. My problem is basically going forward with my back and carrying some load in some of the reps on my back, instead on my leg, which probably can leadto an injury with higher weights. So I decided to hold on weight until I fix the form. As you can see I squad even 4ties per week so I can work on form, 2 times with 40 kg for reps post boxing work out working on form with my friends who correct me.

Other than that so far I only feel that my shoulders are tired. I am thinking of removing the lateral rises from the Strength Training A. Because I do shoulders Monday at boxing and Strenght A, then Tuesday when doing circuits, then Wednesday OHP, then Thursday again when boxing, then Friday in circuit and then in Saturday in Strength A. So they are definitely getting over worked. I will test it out how I feel next week and if I feel to tired I will drop the lateral rises.
Okay, fair enough. Yeah sounds like a lot of shoulder work. Sure drop the lateral raises if it's too much (although personally I'd remove something else like a day of pushups or whatever since lat raises really hits the med. delts in a way that all the other stuff doesn't, BUT, it's whatever you want to do. I agree that it seems like too much shoulder volume with all the other stuff you're doing).

I would still post a form vid here though on the squats, or any other lift you're having trouble with.

Okay, fair enough. Yeah sounds like a lot of shoulder work. Sure drop the lateral raises if it's too much (although personally I'd remove something else like a day of pushups or whatever since lat raises really hits the med. delts in a way that all the other stuff doesn't, BUT, it's whatever you want to do. I agree that it seems like too much shoulder volume with all the other stuff you're doing).

I would still post a form vid here though on the squats, or any other lift you're having trouble with.

Hmm I will think about it and discuss with friends what we can change in our program. Indeed I bench 3 times per week and do some plyo push ups, which can be exchanged for something else.
I will ask my friends to record me squating with 40 kg and I will try to make someone record me squat with 60+kg in the gym, because I do the strength by myself. If I manage I will either send you a pm or upload here.

Once again. I really appreciate the time you spend to give me these amazing advises. It is always nice to receive feedback from a really knowledge able person.

And on the log.

Rest day. It has been a very productive week. I feel amazing! Just sad I could not run more.

I have been walking a bit with friends, went shopping and was trying to break a lock for the basement with a hammer as some physical activity :D

Tomorrow boxing and I am starting the 80% 1MR week 2 of the Strength Training Sano custom crafted for me!

29.01.2018 Monday

Morning Boxing Work out
2 pad rounds - I looked good today on the pads
3 spar rounds - my southpaw friend completely destroyed me today. I did 2 rounds with him and he rocked me twice. My chin hearts like hell. He basically stepped over my left all the time and no matter what I did he just got there, winning the jab and the feet positioning. I was able to catch on most of his left crosses and even countered twice, but it was just a sad performance from me. I almost got knocked down when I was trying to do a body jab-cross and he cough me with a cross while going up. Poor guard, poor jab, poor footwork...
2 bag rounds - working mainly on cross - hooks and 1-2-3 and some angles.

Squat 2 sets of 5 reps with 60kg
Some forearm work

Fucking hell I sucked badly today. Even got my lip cut.

Week 2 Strength Training - 75% of 1RM
Night Workout Strength Training A

Squat
Warm up sets x3
4 sets x 5 reps - 65 kg - noticing some bad form in the last reps, perhaps it is still a bit heavy

Bench Press
Warm up sets x3
4 sets x 5 reps - 58 kg

Accessory:

Walking Lunges - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 15kg dumbbells total weight
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 60 kg - used a different type of machine
Reverse Flys on a peck deck machine - 4 sets x 10 reps - 25 kg

Super set:
Sitting Calf Rises - 3 sets x 12 reps - 30 kg
Lateral rises - 3 sets x 10 reps - 20 kg dumbbells total weight (10 kg each)

Last edited:
30.01.2018 Tuesday

The alarm could not wake me up to work out with friends. So I went for a run.
3.2 km LISS run. Little pain on the shins. Cardio wise I suck. I need to get to 5km runs by March 10 and even add some sprints.

31.01.2018 Wednesday

Morning Workout

Workout B

DL + shrugs
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8x40kg, 5x50kg
4 sets x 5 reps - 70 kg - damn these were very hard sets
OHP
Warm up sets - x3 - 12xbar, 8x30kg, 5x35kg
4 sets x 5 reps - 42,5 kg

Accessory:

Super Set 1 :
Machine Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps - 70kg
Machine Hamstring Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps - 55kg

Super Set 2:
Barbell Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps - 50kg - these were very hard this time, I am going to keep this weight till they become light, perhaps till the end of the 6 week cicle
Leg Rises - 3 sets x 15 reps

Super Set 3: for Instagram :D
French Press - 2 sets x 15 reps x 15kg
Biceps Curls - 2 sets x 15 reps x 15kg

Did a lot of stretching during rests. I am planning on a good stretch later today. And we are playing soccer at 8pm tonight.

Evening soccer - 75 mins. I may have ran 6-7 kms or even more. Including some sprints.

Last edited:

Boxing

3 pad rounds - looking better on the pads, but still way too many issues
3 spar rounds - with my infamous south paw friend. This time I defended well, got him tired by the end of 3rd and pressed the fuck out of him landing some crosses. However he kept on pressing me the entire time but the last 1 minute of 3rd round, but I added some lateral footwork and more crosses. As we were only 2 at the class, the coach gave me some solid advice, such as adding the cross and the 2-1-2 after he jabs or left hooks.
2 bag rounds - nothing special
2 circuits of jump rope + straight punching with weights, quick footwork drill and and pushing a bar while standing

Squats - 4x5 - 60kg
Fore arm work

Weight update - 85,5kg. Damn This made me happy.

Afternoon Update: I felt very tired for some reason on the afternoon. I went for a walk about 3 pm and I took a 40 min nap before that. When I get home I was super hungry. Then I felt all my muscles on the upper body burning like hell. I spend the evening on the bed, ate some chicken liver and salad, got aspirin and fall asleep by 10 pm. My grandma even did some light massage with an oil she uses for pain which has cooling effect.

Last edited:
Strength Training A

jump rope 3 min
bicycle 3 min
Warm up Streching

Squat
Warm up sets x3 - bar x 12, 8 x 40 kg, 5x 50 kg
3 sets x 5 reps - 65 kg
1 set x 3 reps - 65 kg - got very tired for the last 2 reps

Bench Press
Warm up sets - 12x bar, 8x 40kg, 5x 45kg
3 sets x 5 reps - 58 kg
1 set x 3 reps - could not lift anymore

Accessory:

Super Set:
Walking Lunges - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 15kg dumbbells total weight

Super Set:
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 40 kg - used a closer grip
Reverse Flys on a peck deck machine - 4 sets x 10 reps - 25 kg

Peck Deck - 15 x 30 kg, 12 x 40 kg

03.02.2018 Saturday
Rest day

I felt very tired since 2 days so I am skipping any kind of training today, although I feel I recovered this morning. I was planing to do circuits with my friends.

Going to travel and interview few ladies for a job and then I may walk around the town I am doing the interviews.

My best friend had a baby girl so we are getting some drinks too tonight.

Tomorrow we have soccer planned with friends. So hopefully we are not getting wasted. Because I was planning to push it.

04.02.2018 Sunday

100 minutes soccer. I kicked ass today.

So this week ended more cardio oriented.

I had 2 boxing work outs, I ran once. I played soccer twice and I did my 3 Strength Work outs. I skipped circuits with friends. At some point at Thursday I felt dead tired, but Saturday after resting I kicked ass in Sunday in soccer. I ran straight for 100 minutes non stop, being the man that ran the most and the most valuable player. I am getting in a good physical shape. Also people are complimenting me on lost weight. It feels nice

Goal - do not give up! Keep it up. I am doing everything fine! I am proud of myself!

Last edited:
05.02.2018 Monday

Morning Boxing Workout
3 pad rounds - started fixing the coordination between legs and hands. Still a lot of work to do though. Cardio is getting better and better.
3 bag rounds - we were told to go full power on the bag, to build some habits banging. Surprised I can hit strong, especially with that right hand
2 circuit rounds - jump rope, straights with some weight, jump with a bar, footwork and etc
old school core work - we did some stuff I have not done before for core - it hit me so bad, I hardly could stand up
2 rounds of jump rope

In general I am unhappy that my boxing work outs are turning into cardio, rather than technique and learning how to box, but whatever - there is no better place to train right now.

Afternoon Strength Training Week 3 - 85% 1RM
Strength Training A

Squat
4 sets x 3 reps - 70 kg

Bench Press
Warm up sets - 12x bar, 8x 40kg, 5x 50kg
4 sets x 3 reps - 60 kg

Accessory:

Super Set:
Walking Lunges - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 20kg dumbbells total weight (10kg each)

Super Set:
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 10x40kg, 8x 45kg, 10x 40 kg
Reverse Flys on a peck deck machine - 10x 25kg, 10x30kg, 10x30 kg

Instagram Set :D
2 sets biceps curls - 15x15kg
2 sets french press - 15x15 kg

2 sets shrugs with dumbbells - 10x 10kg dumbbels (20kg total weight)
1 set forearm work

Last edited:
06.02.2018 Tuesday

Some weird work out called 21

30kg
21 front squats + OHP
21 - pull ups - however I managed only 5 and my left shoulder cracked
16 front squats + OHP
9 front squats only

hyper extensions 2 sets - 20, 25 body weight
Machine Quad Curls - 4 x 5 reps - 50kg

Forearm work - 2 rounds

In general this work out sucked ass and I only injured my left shoulder. It is not too bad, there is no pain 1 hour later, but it sux.

Man I need to stretch more often. Just completed this one here. And I feel way better.

Last edited:
Got advised to post a pic once a month to see if there is progress.

2mcgidu.jpg
07.02.2018 - Wednesday

I felt fucking great this morning. I woke up at 6am with no muscular pain or anything. Yesterday night my grandma did a little massage to me with a cream she uses for pain on her legs. It has cooling effect. I woke up like a new person. I bet that the stretching also helped.

Week 3 Strength Training - 85% of 1RM
Workout B

3 mins bycicle
stretching

DL + shrugs on warm up sets only
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8x40kg, 5x60kg
4 sets x 3 reps - 80 kg

OHP
4 sets x 3reps - 45 kg

I did not feel tired at all after all these main movements. I think the 3x reps do not feel hard as I am still lifting light.

Accessory:

Super Set 1 :
Machine Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps - 75kg
Machine Hamstring Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps - 60kg

Super Set 2:
Barbell Rows - 3 sets x 8 reps - 50kg -
Leg Rises - 3 sets x 15 reps

Super Set 3:
Reverse Flyes on a peck deck machine - 3 sets x 10 reps - 30kg
Pull Downs - 3 sets x 8 reps - 45 kg

Super Set 4:
French Press - 3 sets x 12 reps x 20kg
Lat Rises - 3 sets x 10 reps x 7,5 kg dumbbels each hand

Super Set 5:
Biceps Curls - 3 sets x 12 reps x 20kg
Shrugs with dumbbels - 3 sets x 15 reps x 10kg dumbbel each hand - 20 kg total weight

New weight - 85,2 kg.

Last edited:
08.02.2018 Thursday

Morning Boxing

Getting very unsatisfied with boxing and how the work out looks like.
2 pad rounds - I am looking better on the pads every time but that does not help at all. 2 pad rounds is not enough to improve.
2 spar rounds - the pad work does not transfer into spars, nothing basically transfers into spars. I am still fighting with old habits, leaning forward, hands stay down often, not enough movement, using my left hand mainly
2 bag rounds - working with power
1 round - jump rope
5 min different planks
squats - 3 sets x 10 reps x 50 kg

In general frustrated with boxing as nothing really transfers into spars and I feel like a punching bag. I am going to work a lot on shadow boxing starting today. The weather is bad for outside activities anyway.

09.02.2018 Friday

Morning Circuit Training
8 mins on, 90 sec rest, 8 mins on - 2 rounds
I can not really explain the circuit as I have no clue how most of the exercices are called. But it consists of the following:
- 3 shoulder exercises - mostly accessory stuff with 10 reps
- Bulgarian bag around the back - 15 reps
- wide spread squads with a 20kg plate - 10 reps
- single leg exercise - consisting of lunge + movement - 10 reps per leg
- clean with a 20 kg plate + jump - 10 reps
- 2 sets of plyo push ups - 10 reps (I can manage 6 reps)
- wide push up - 6
- narrow push up -6
- Russian Twist - 10 reps
- 2x core exercises - looking like scissors with the legs
- 2x some core twist

10.02.2018 Saturday

Strength Training Week 3 - 85% 1RM
Strength Training A

Bycicle - 3 mins
Warm up - 5 mins
Tried A hops

Squat
Warm up sets x3 - bar x 12, 8 x 40 kg, 5x 55 kg
4 sets x 3 reps - 75 kg - Monday when I did squats with 3x70 I felt it light so I added 5 kg more this work out

Bench Press
Warm up sets - 12x bar, 8x 40kg, 5x 50kg
4 sets x 3 reps - 60 kg

Accessory:

Super Set1:
Lunges on one spot - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 20kg dumbbells total weight (10kg each)

Super Set2:
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 10x40kg, 10x 45kg, 10x 45 kg
Reverse Flys on a peck deck machine - 10x 30kg, 10x30kg, 10x30 kg

Instagram Super Set 3 :D
3 sets biceps curls - 12x20kg
3 sets triceps press - 12x20 kg

Super Set 4:
3 sets shrugs with a bar - 12x 40kg dumbbels
3 sets standing calf rises - 15 x 80kg

3 min warm down with jump rope

11.02.2018 Sunday
Rest Day

12.02.2018 Monday

Morning Boxing Work out

2 pad rounds - looking better especially when hitting going backwards. Still some posture problems - such as leaning forward and not staying on my rear foot toe but whole feet, which decreases my stability and mobility.
3 spar rounds - implemented a lot of head movement and footwork and some hitting going backwards. Actually it worked pretty decent going backwards with 2-1-2 and 1-1-2 I catched my friends with some of the jabs in the 1-1-2 going backwards. Got 2 liver shots - luckily not that bad ones from my SP friend.
4 bag rounds - mostly working on 1-2 or 1-1-2 with a slip inside and adding 2-1-2.
practised on my own some footwork and head movement

Squats 3 sets x 10 reps - 50 kg

Last edited:
13.02.2018 Tuesday

Week 4 Strength Training - 75% 1 RM - messed up the weights and instead of 70% 1 RM I did 75%. Anyway I will keep it up as it was not such a big deal with weights.

jump rope 3 min
Warm up Stretching
A hops
butt kicks
high knees

Squat
4 sets x 5 reps - 65 kg

Standing Lunges - 1 set x 10 reps - x 20 kg (10kg dumbbell at each hand)

Bench Press
Warm up sets - 12x bar, 8x 40kg, 5x 45kg
4sets x 5 reps - 58 kg

Accessory:

Super Set:
Walking Lunges - 3 sets x 10 reps each leg - 20kg dumbbells total weight

Super Set:
Vertical Rows or Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 45 kg
Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 10 reps - 15kg, 15 kg, 10 kg - first time doing it on a bench - 7,5kg dumbbells and 5kg dumbells - I may do the next ones with 5kg dumbbells as I felt I kind of over estimated myself with the 7,5kg ones.

Lots of Stretching between sets on the Squats and the Bench. In general a lazy work out, but tomorrow I am DL-ing.

New Weight: 84.4 kg

Going to up the calories by about 300. As I think I am cutting too much and too fast. I dont want to end up skinny fat.

Last edited:
14.02.2018 Wednesday

Morning
1,6 km run

Evening

Week 4 Strength Training - 75% of 1RM
Workout B

No warm up - the gym was packed so I rushed to the first DL bar that was free!

DL
Warm up sets - 12xbar, 8x40kg, 5x50kg - Romanian DL
4 sets x 5 reps - 70 kg -

OHP
3 sets x 5 reps - 42,5 kg
1 set x 5 reps - 40 kg - felt it heavy and some pain on the left shoulder so lowered slightly the weight

Accessory:

Super Set 1 :
Machine Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps - 75kg
Machine Hamstring Curls - 2 sets x 10 reps - 60kg, 1 set x 7 reps 60 kg, 1 set x 6 reps - 55kg

Super Set 2: - tried some machines in the gym
machine looking like pull downs - 3 sets x 10 reps - 60kg
peck deck - 3 sets 10 reps - 30kg, 35kg, 40kg

Super Set 3:
Machine for the upper back - 3 sets x 10 reps - no clue how much weight :)
Biceps Curls on a machine - 3 sets x 10 reps x 15kg

Super Set 4:
Triceps pull downs - 3 sets x 12 reps - 15kg
forearm mini set with 5kg dumbbells - 2 sets

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back