Ilk's Log - Boxing, soccer, conditioning

31.08.2018 Friday
Workout A - Squats, OHP, assistance - reverse flyes, rows,

I am missing the Sunday game due to the injury.
Coach did not like me, so he suggested I sit and recover. Sux :(

01.09.2018 Saturday
Workout B - DL + Bench with assistance work - bulgarian squat + cross over flyes

Evening - 5+1 soccer game with few other amateur soccer players. My defensive game was rock solid but my legs were heavy for offensive touch. Anyway it was a good conditioning.

02.09.2018 Sunday started working too early and went back home late so I guess complete rest day

03.09.2018 Monday - Boxing work out
- 1 round on pads, working on body jab and right uppercut in different combinations
- 2 bag rounds - more of slow warm up with mostly single punches
- about 10 minutes of drilling mainly slips and waives
- 3 spar rounds - against the same guy, things went pretty well
- 2 bag rounds - working on presuring and volume, some slips and combos
some core work

Evening - soccer practice game

Last edited:
04.09.2018 Tuesday

Morning work out A squat and Bench
With little assistance such as.rows, hyperextensions and reverse flyes

Afternoon assistance work
A couple of light heavy bag rounds, stretching, lat rises, bulgarian split squat. Chin ups, romanian dl, oblique and arms and core work.

Just a very light work.

Afternoon workout
DL
Romanian 12 x bar
Romanian 10 x 20
5 x 60
4 x 5 x 80

Bench
12 x bar
8 x 40
4 x 5 x 50

2 x 4 chin ups

Fuck my body is not ready for heavy weights :D I am a weakling

Bag work working on technique on uppercuts and hooks. Footwork on surrounding with lots of visualising. Special notice on positioning.

Basically working on the bag while resting on the weights. I love doing this shit.

06.09.2018 Thursday

4 rounds bag work
Arm work
Core work

I had a boxing session in the morning which I Forgot to log. It was a heavy bag oriented.

07.09.2018 Friday and 08.09.2018 Saturday I took days off. I felt exosted.

I am changing my workout plan to this https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters.
I am not going to Strenght train for now as it tires me and hinders my sports. I think my CNS is getting too heavily blasted. I am concentrating on more frequency and less volume and a body building type of work out.

09.09.2018 Saturday
Completed Workout A1
DL 2x6x70 and double rest pause set with 80 - 6+3+2 reps
Pull ups 2x4 and double rest pause set 4+2+1 my pull up is weak
Back shoulder exercice 2x8x10 kg dumbbels + drop sets
Biceps curls 2x6x30 + double rest pause set - 6+4+2
1 set wood cuts each side

Last edited:
10.09.2018 Monday
morning - boxing workout
1 pad round - working on the right uppercut and setting it up
4 bag rounds - working on side stepping and moving around the bag after a combination, working a lot on my stance and hand positioning
3 rounds of drills - slipping drills mainly
conditioning 2 rounds
core work

afternoon - 60 mins soccer

Last edited:
Fuck fuck fuck. I got dropped out of the team. They say my cardio is still not on point and that I cant play for 90 mins. We got mixed with another team and they have many guys playing on my position. So since I can not cement the position for 90 mins they decided to drop me out in order to rotate the other guys.

Still told me to practice and be ready if someone quits. Fuck this shit. Last season I was like the best Defensive Mid in the league and commanding the entire defence and midfield now they are dropping me out :(

Fuck fuck fuck. I got dropped out of the team. They say my cardio is still not on point and that I cant play for 90 mins. We got mixed with another team and they have many guys playing on my position. So since I can not cement the position for 90 mins they decided to drop me out in order to rotate the other guys.

Still told me to practice and be ready if someone quits. Fuck this shit. Last season I was like the best Defensive Mid in the league and commanding the entire defence and midfield now they are dropping me out :(
Sorry to hear about that buddy, that sucks.

It does... well time to concentrate on other stuff.

11.09.2018 Tuesday
Workout A2 completed
Warm up jump rope + static stretching

Squat 2x6x70 and heavy rest pause set 6x70 + 3x70 + 2x70
Bench 2x6x55 and heavy rest pause 6x60 + 4x60 + 3x60
Lateral rises 2x8x10 kg dummbells + 8x10 + 10 x 7.5 + 8x5 + 6x5
Triceps Rope - 3x8x35 slow excentric

I was working out with a buddy in the gym so while I was waiting for him I did a small triset of core work + forearm + calf work

Cooldown jump rope 5 mins

1. Romanian DL: 2 sets of 6 x 70 kg and double rest pause set - +4 + 3 reps
  2. Lying Leg Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set - 70 kg, 60 kg, 50 kg
  3. Straight-Arm Pulldown or Dumbbell Pullover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set - 30 kg
  4. Pronated Chest-Supported Row:  2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set - 50 kg
  5. Preacher Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set - 25 kg
  6. Shrugs - 2 sets x 12 reps x 20kg dumbbells
12.09.2018 Wednesday workout A2 completed

13.09.2018 Thirsday
Morning boxing session
Pad round - working on the jab
Some slipping drills
6 spar rounds - I felt a bit tired and lazy this morning but that is because I had some whiskey yesterday
2 bag rounds
Some core work

afternoon
work out B2 completed

Front Squat - 2 x 6 x 50 kg + double rest pause set 6 + 3 + 2 x 50 kg
Peck Deck - 2 x 6 x 65 kg + mtor set 6 x 60
OHP - 2 x 6 x 40 + rest pause set 6+4+2 x 40
dips - 2x4 + rest pause 4 + 2 + 1

4 rounds on the bag

Last edited:
14.09.2018 Friday
Morning

A3
Glute Ham Rises - body weight - 3 x 15
Lat Pull Down - 2 x 6 x 65 + drop set 6x65 + 8x55 + 10x40
Cable Seated Row - 2 x 6 x 80 + mtor 6 x 80
Hammer Curls - 2 x 6 x 12,5kg dumbbels + mtor 6x12,5 kg

15.09.2018 Saturday
Morning
Workout B 3 completed
Leg Extensions - 2x6x55 + drop set 6x55 + 8 x 40 x 10 x 30
Incline Bench - 2 x 6 x 50 + drop set 6x50 + 8 x 45 + 10 x 40
Decline Bench - 2 x 6 x 60 + mtor set 6x50
Triceps Rope - 3 x 6 x 30 - weight too big for mtor
Standing Calf Rises - 3 x 8 x 100 kg

Afternoon
6 rounds boxing bag
core work

First week completed
Basically I have been playing around in learning this work out to suit my regiment and needs. Planning on going 8 weeks. Then taking 2 weeks rest from weight lifting and focus on LISS + Sprints, then we will see what happens. Perhaps I can go 5x5. First things first I want to see how high frequency lifting with BB effect works out for me. Strenght training with high volume was tiring me too much for my sports.
This one sores my muscles, but my CNS does not feel tired. I am actually feeling fresh, but muscles are getting tired.

So main focus next week will be to complete the 6 work outs with small weight increase as I have been testing the weights this week. I will do small adjustments on the exercices, still learning the program. I plan on 2 boxing work outs and 1 soccer game with friends. So 9 work outs for the week.

Additionally some afternoons I will play around with boxing bag or shadow boxing (technique and shoulder conditioning + cardio) and core work + stretching. Funny I have never paid attention to core work and I realised my core is pretty damn weak.

Last edited:
16.09.2018 Sunday
I decided to lift weights today as tomorrow I have boxing in the morning and soccer in the afternoon

Week 2 Workout A1
DL 2x6x80 and double rest pause set with 80 - 6+4+3 reps - feeling too comfortable with 80 kg, I will add some weight next time
Pull ups 2x4 and double rest pause set 4+2+2 - still too heavy for me, I am not having a proper form
Back shoulder exercice 2x8x10 kg dumbbels + drop sets - 10 x 7,5 kg + 12 x 5 kg
Biceps curls 2x6x30 + double rest pause set with 30 kg - 6 reps + 2 reps + 1 rep - for some reason I had it hard to lift 30 kg this time

Afternoon
Boxing bag work 7 rounds - simple work low tempo trying to create good habits on posture and hand positioning. Trying to add lateral movement to my work.

and core work during rest - leg rises + wood cuts + some crunches

Last edited:
17.09.2018 Monday

Morning boxing workout
warm up with footwork drills mainly

1 long pad round - complained about my cross and right uppercut so we were working on the technique of these. Basically I have to pull my left shoulder more to allow for good extension and protection from the right arm on both punches. My right leg was not on a stable position during the cross, so we decided to add a step (ground slam) to make it stable. And my uppercut was going way too wild, instead I had to stop and drag back the hand to my face. All in all a good technique round. We worked a bit on the jab and right hand positioning when jabbing too.

2 drill rounds - jab vs sliping the jab and countering - one guy jabs, the other one slips and experiments counters.

2 spar rounds against my better friends - I actually do better against the orthodox friend who is better than all, he is more comfortable to play against and he allows me to play while working on his countering and his counters are gentle.

Did well against my SP friend. I re adjusted the jab as he was countering me few times. Used more lateral movement to my left which helped me land a nice body right hook, while ducking against lead hand hook of his.

Tried to add more pivots while sparring. Once unintentionally escaped a 1-2 counter while pivoting to my right. Felt very nice to be honest :) I enjoy my work on lateral movement. I am very, very and I mean very new to this kind of work, but I can see results and it is very encouraging.

4 bag rounds - working on some tempo and lateral movement (not very high tempo, but still a good and decent tempo)

core work - few quick core exercices for about 5 mins

Afternoon
I am logging earlier, because my left shoulder is in pain. It is kind of over training or being hit pain.

I have soccer at 8 pm. So just going to log it before I forgot to do so later.
60 mins soccer 5+1 with friends (there are ami players in both teams) so it will be a bit competitive.

Last edited:
So uhm ... I forgot to log again :)

18.09.2018 Tuesday - took a huge day off as I was tired post soccer for any kind of a work out. And I felt pain in the lower back section.
Been training with the pain in the lower back the past days. So I ve cut the afternoon workouts.

19.09.2018 Wednesday
B1
warm up jump rope + static streching
Squat 2x6x75 and heavy rest pause set 6x75 + 3x75 + 2x75 - increased 5 kg from previous work out
Bench 2x6x60 and heavy rest pause 6x65 + 4x65 + 3x65 - increased 5 kg from previous work out
Lateral rises 2x8x10 kg dummbells + 6x12 + 8 x 10 + 10 x7 ,5 kg dumbbels - small increase on the rest pause set
Triceps Rope - 3x8x35 slow excentric
Calf Rises - 5 sets x 15 reps x 45 kg
Some machine simulates dips - 4 sets x 15 reps x 40 kg - just for fun while waiting for my friend

20.09.2018 Thursday - skipped boxing workout instead went to the fitness gym
A2
Warm up - jump rope 2 mins + bycicle 2 mins
Romanian DL: 2 sets of 6 x 75 kg and double rest pause set 6 +4 + 3 reps - 5 kg increased
Lying Leg Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set - 75 kg, 65 kg, 55 kg - 5 kg increased
Straight-Arm Pulldown or Dumbbell Pullover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set - 30 kg
Pronated Chest-Supported Row:  2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set - 20 kg dumbbels (used machine before, now dumbbels)
Preacher Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set - 30 kg - 5 kg increased

21.09.2018 Friday
B2
warm up bycicle 5 mins
Front Squat - 2 x 6 x 40 kg + double rest pause set 6 + 4 + 2 x 45 kg - felt again the lower back pain on the first rep with 50 kg, so dropped the weight
Peck Deck - 2 x 6 x 70 kg + mtor set 6 x 70 - 5 kg increased
OHP - 2 x 6 x 45 + rest pause set 6+4+2 x 45 - 5 kg increased
dips - 2x4 + rest pause 4 + 2 + 2

22.09.18 Saturday

A3
Warm up - bycicle 5 mins
Glute Ham Rises - body weight - 3 x 15 with 5 kg plate - 5 kg plate added from previous week
Lat Pull Down - 2 x 6 x 70 + drop set 6x70 + 8x60 + 10x45 - 5 kg added from previous week - man these felt brutal
Cable Seated Row - 2 x 6 x 85 + mtor 6 x 85 - 5 kg added from previous week
Hammer Curls - 2 x 6 x 12,5kg dumbbels + mtor 6x12,5 kg - same weight as last week (I could not find the 15kg dumbbells lol)

Afternoon
So I was bored post work. And decided to hit the golf resort staff gym. Great idea.
I did 9 rounds boxing heavy bag of 2 mins and 2 mins rest
during the rest I did:
3 sets of cable cross over x 10 x 30 kg
3 sets of wood chops x 10 x 30 kg per side
3 super sets - russian twist with 5 kg plate and crunches with 5 kg plate
on the bag I was working the jab with lateral movement, 1-2s, but later added some dynamic freestyle punching
stretched a bit
All in all a very good 45-50 min workout. I enjoyed too much doing this shit - 2 min bag round + 2 min some other work.

Last edited:
B3 completed
warm up - bicycle 5 mins
Leg Extensions - 2x6x60 + drop set 6x60 + 8 x 45 x 10 x 35 - 5kg increase from past week
Incline Bench - 2 x 6 x 55 + drop set 6x55 + 8 x 45 + 10 x 40 -5 kg increase from past week
Decline Bench - 2 x 6 x 65 + mtor set 6x55 - slight decrease
Triceps Rope - 8 x 30, 6 x 30 ... got an emergency phone call from work

Afternoon
7x2 min rounds on the boxing bag with 2 min "rests"
during rests:
- 3x10 super set of leg rises + triceps rope (felt the triceps work was lacking today)
- 3x12 triset: back extensions + push up + russian twist
- 24 crunches
at the heavy bag- footwork, jab, jab cross was the focus in first rounds, last rounds were on in fighting, body movement and footwork. Trained without gloves today as I forgot them home.

Last edited:
Back