illegal immigration and the US workforce

foster made a good post some time ago about the negatives of illegals:

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/127160143/

read the post above to see what he means, the fucking balls on these illegals.

heya uppercutbus,

this thread is about the economic impact (or lackthereof) of illegal immigrants in this country on low wage workers, along with the impact of H1b and H2b visa holders.

its not whether you think they should be expelled from the country or whether you like their presence or hate'm.

would it be alright to ask you to kind of stay on topic? i get that you want'm out, but surely there are other threads where you could espouse that opinion and it might have some relevance?

- IGIT

heya uppercutbus,

this thread is about the economic impact (or lackthereof) of illegal immigrants in this country on low wage workers, along with the impact of H1b and H2b visa holders.

its not whether you think they should be expelled from the country or whether you like their presence or hate'm.

would it be alright to ask you to kind of stay on topic? i get that you want'm out, but surely there are other threads where you could espouse that opinion and it might have some relevance?

- IGIT

Plenty of people here are mentioning illegals. Perhaps talk to them too.

assuming Information Tech is part of the STEM fields, both pan's post and StrikerKing did kind of address your points.

No the IT field issues where not addressed, just saying "it's under STEM" makes no difference. Their posts where quite barebones with any explanations how this is all fabrications.

i'm just saying that its difficult to check the veracity of these claims - surely there would be a long queue of attorneys seeking to litigate against these wealthy firms if the abuses you cited were reality.

What claims? The claim never was about being able to sue for being replaced by foreign workers, the only reason they where able to was because it was an egregious case where they wanted everyone replaced by Indian workers and the manner in the way they fired them. You're just handwaving all the issues with a strawman. "I googled and didn't find many sue cases so these problems don't exist."

Again, I think it depends on the business.

As I'm sure you are already aware, labor is usually a business' highest cost, and I'm assuming that said businesses who are employing illegals are paying them under the table. If you are now talking about the employer going legit, he now has to pay higher wages along with payroll taxes, worker's comp., maybe benefits, overtime, pto, sick time, etc etc etc - which would ultimately add quite a bit to his payroll expenses. It would all depend on whether or not the business' overhead could absorb that kind of increase without pricing themselves out of the market.

IMO, most of the businesses who employ illegals under the table are small businesses trying to compete with larger entities (big companies are usually more standardized with hiring practices, as there are big penalties in CA at least). So I think the effect would be that you would see, for example, the smaller mom and pop construction companies simply squeezed out by the Walmarts of building contractors - which is already happening to a certain extent - but this would be the nail in the coffin.

ahoy Helltoupee,

you know, after reading all the responses....i still just don't know.

let me ask you a question; do you feel small businesses should be granted exemptions to allow for the hiring of illegal immigrants?

- IGIT

hi ho UCB,

Plenty of people here are mentioning illegals. Perhaps talk to them too.

as long as the discussion relates to how illegal immigrants impact wages in the US, that seems germane to the OP, no?

No the IT field issues where not addressed, just saying "it's under STEM" makes no difference. Their posts where quite barebones with any explanations how this is all fabrications.

if that's how you feel, alright.

What claims? The claim never was about being able to sue for being replaced by foreign workers, the only reason they where able to was because it was an egregious case where they wanted everyone replaced by Indian workers and the manner in the way they fired them. You're just handwaving all the issues with a strawman. "I googled and didn't find many sue cases so these problems don't exist."

i'm not creating a strawman.

i took your claims seriously and searched to see if any successful H1B abuses had been prosecuted against companies, and i saw none. i tried to find the resolution of the Molina lawsuit in your link...this incident is more than half a decade old, but i can't find anything on how it turned out.

do you know?

you are claiming that there have been H1B abuse by corporations - and i get that this is your opinion. don't you think its fair for me to say that i haven't found a court in the country that backs up your pov?

- IGIT

Last edited:
you are claiming that there have been H1B abuse by corporations - and i get that this is your opinion. don't you think its fair for me to say that i haven't found a court in the country that backs up your pov?

Again a strawman. The case clearly was proven that their jobs were being outsourced to Indians.

Indian IT companies are heavy users of skilled H-1B visas to the US. The last link was to a 2011 article, this is a 2017 article, here the layoffs have caught the attention of state and federal lawmakers. Here is a less technical article.

This one is about outsourcing support roles and call centre jobs:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...duced-in-us-congress/articleshow/57444399.cms

The Bill plans to stop grants, loans to US firms if they outsource jobs.

The Bill impacts nations like India which benefit from such outsourcing.

All the talk of how great outsourcing is, is only for the companies, not good for America or it's native workers. Some sectors it might be necessary but definitely not IT.

Again a strawman. The case clearly was proven that their jobs were being outsourced to Indians.

Indian IT companies are heavy users of skilled H-1B visas to the US. The last link was to a 2011 article, this is a 2017 article, here the layoffs have caught the attention of state and federal lawmakers. Here is a less technical article.

This one is about outsourcing support roles and call centre jobs:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...duced-in-us-congress/articleshow/57444399.cms

All the talk of how great outsourcing is, is only for the companies, not good for America or it's native workers. Some sectors it might be necessary but definitely not IT.

hello uppercutbus,

i am not creating a strawman, lol

you yourself cited the Molina case...you linked it in your post. the Molina case went to court and i haven't found anything relating to its resolution.

nor have i found anything relating to any successful court challenges to H1B abuse.

you were the one who introduced litigation on H1B abuse into this thread, not me...i just followed up on it.

at any rate, this is the only thing i could find on the final outcome; http://progressive.org/magazine/you-re-fired-abuses-skilled-worker-visa-programs/.

if the legislation that congressmen Durbin and Grassley are working on to reform the H1B program, i imagine that would quell alot of your reservations about the program, though i expect silicon valley to fight it tooth and nail.

- IGIT

you yourself cited the Molina case...you linked it in your post. the Molina case went to court and i haven't found anything relating to its resolution.

nor have i found anything relating to any successful court challenges to H1B abuse.

you were the one who introduced litigation on H1B abuse into this thread, not me...i just followed up on it.

I already told you, there is no claim about being able (or not) to sue a company for outsourcing. It's generally regarded that you can't. The only reason they where able to was because of how egregious it was and the manner they handled their firing. I think you're missing the point of the article and the ones I posted that an outsourcing problem exists in the I.T. and support field. The sue part is happened for the reasons given, it doesn't disprove there is an outsourcing problem.

They could sue for wrongful termination and lose, that doesn't mean their jobs weren't outsourced.

at any rate, this is the only thing i could find on the final outcome; http://progressive.org/magazine/you-re-fired-abuses-skilled-worker-visa-programs/.

Indeed. Great for companies, not so good for America or it's workers. Also your link mentions a lot of things you said there is no evidence for (H-1B abuses) and mentions the reforms proposed to combat them.

Would you agree the government and Trump are looking at it and planning bills for these sectors as my previous links have shown? If so then I'm pretty sure they looked into it and did a cost-benefit analysis resulting in a net negative to America for it's I.T. and support role workers. If you disagree the onus is on you to show it's a positive.

Last edited:
hello uppercutbus,

I already told you, there is no claim about being able (or not) to sue a company for outsourcing. It's generally regarded that you can't. The only reason they where able to was because of how egregious it was and the manner they handled their firing. I think you're missing the point of the article and the ones I posted that an outsourcing problem exists in the I.T. and support field. The sue part is happened for the reasons given, it doesn't disprove there is an outsourcing problem.

They could sue for wrongful termination and lose, that doesn't mean their jobs weren't outsourced.

the articles you posted earlier was a reddit conversation (which i glanced at, but i don't consider reddit to be a bullet proof source...its very hit and miss, just like the War Room) and the link to the Molina hiring of H1B workers and the subsequent firing of native born workers (i don't read links from RT news).

the other reading i did on the Molina incident was all sourced and quoted from the litigants, with no comment from the company itself...so really, i've only got one side of the story, you know?

i've found that its generally hard to made a conclusion one way or the other when i've only got half the story.

the claim of the Molina litigants is that their jobs were "insourced" to the H1B workers. the thing is, even if this is true, it's also legal.

as the H1B program currently exists, as long as the employer pays an annual salary of $60,000 dollars, they can replace US workers to do these jobs.

Indeed. Great for companies, not so good for America or it's workers. Also your link mentions a lot of things you said there is no evidence for (H-1B abuses) and mentions the reforms proposed to combat them.

the article linked mentions that its painful to train your replacement...and that does sound painful, but its not an abuse, nor is it illegal. the link mentions that companies are saving money by hiring foreigners through the H1B program, which does sound bad for US workers...but again, its not illegal.

uppercutbus, i'm not arguing with you - i'm trying to get a better understanding of the topic.

these things you say that are bad for the displaced workers do sound bad, but as you noted, its great for ownership and its great for shareholders...and since many of these companies are competing on a global basis, it may in fact be great for the company (since their competitors also make use of global talent that may cost less).

*holds up his hand, amicably*

hear me out; why do so many US companies in textiles now make all their products overseas?

to compete.

its not purely some nefarious plot to put textile companies in the state i reside in (North Carolina) out of business (though that's precisely what happened), its to survive.

would it have been a better outcome if Molina just packed up and moved their base of operations out of the country?

what's the argument for keeping the higher paid, American ITs in place, from a business perspective? what would you have done if you were Molina's CFO?

i'm not challenging you, i'm curious as to your take on it.

Would you agree the government and Trump are looking at it and planning bills for these sectors as my previous links have shown? If so then I'm pretty sure they looked into it and did a cost-benefit analysis resulting in a net negative to America for it's I.T. and support role workers. If you disagree the onus is on you to show it's a positive.

i can't speak one way or another on any Trump legislation, to be honest. in general, i've found their process to be...well...not-well-thought-out on a number of fronts. he's flip flopped on so many of his policy declarations, that's very hard to anticipate what his position will be tomorrow, or next week, or next month.

i have seen the broad outlines of the Durbin/Grassley proposal, but i'm not sure it will pass muster (Google...Apple...Facebook, a murderers row of lobbying power and dollars, will probably oppose it), and i'm not clear what loopholes will be written into their legislation.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Let me answer you this with a question...

Does the state have the resources to check every single person immigration status in the u.s.?

But I'm done talking about this with a guy who doesn't have a clue about this issue

To answer your question, when you apply for state assistance, yes, they do check. And it's more than just 'paperwork'.

If your contention is that a large number fall through the cracks using fake identities or something, let's see your source. After all, this whole conversation started with your statement that "illegals come to America to claim welfare benefits and that is what's killing us".

If you want to bow out of the conversation without making an educated defense of your own words, then all I can say is re-read your last line above, but this time listen real closely for the irony.

ahoy Helltoupee,

you know, after reading all the responses....i still just don't know.

let me ask you a question; do you feel small businesses should be granted exemptions to allow for the hiring of illegal immigrants?

- IGIT

I think they should be able to hire them as long as they are put on payroll and subject to employment law (overtime, etc.)

After all, it should be 'the best man for the job', right?

If an employer can only stay afloat by abusing labor laws, then I don't agree with it.

Hahaha oh you guys are funny.

I'm done talking about this issue. Take care. This is almost as bad as debating religion in here

You don't debate.

You blow hot air and then run when someone takes the wind out your sails.

If you want to bow out of the conversation without making an educated defense of your own words, then all I can say is re-read your last line above, but this time listen real closely for the irony.

hello helltoupee,

he's just kind of embarrassed.

he's taken a number of erroneous positions and is probably feeling uncomfortable to find that he's been wrong in every case.

it's hard for some people to simply say, "oh....i didn't know that. my bad".

- IGIT

To answer your question, when you apply for state assistance, yes, they do check. And it's more than just 'paperwork'.

If your contention is that a large number fall through the cracks using fake identities or something, let's see your source. After all, this whole conversation started with your statement that "illegals come to America to claim welfare benefits and that is what's killing us".

I think you have no idea. I have real world experience while you're just spouting off ignorance.

I think you have no idea. I have real world experience while you're just spouting off ignorance.

I'm an open-minded person, and have actual experience in this area as well, so by all means, tell me how an illegal immigrant applies for and receives government benefits like welfare, etc.

After that, please explain how you arrived at the conclusion that 'illegal immigrants only come to America for welfare'.

I happen to live in San Diego, which, if you don't know, is on the border of Mexico. I also grew up in southeast San Diego, which is a poor community with it's fair share of immigrants, both legal and illegal.

I can say without a doubt that 99% of the people I knew directly, or knew of, who fell into those categories, came here to WORK. If you think differently, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
I'm an open-minded person, and have actual experience in this area as well, so by all means, tell me how an illegal immigrant applies for and receives government benefits like welfare, etc.

After that, please explain how you arrived at the conclusion that 'illegal immigrants only come to America for welfare'.

I happen to live in San Diego, which, if you don't know, is on the border of Mexico. I also grew up in southeast San Diego, which is a poor community with it's fair share of immigrants, both legal and illegal.

I can say without a doubt that 99% of the people I knew directly, or knew of, who fell into those categories, came here to WORK. If you think differently, I'm all ears.

lol at bringing up living near san ysidro as a way to back your claim. Guess you don't live close enough

I should say that not all are here to live off the welfare program, but there's a large number that are.

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, but has anyone mentioned automation? I read some stories about farmers investing in robot crop pickers in case there were not enough reliable field workers. Or the various stories of manufacturing coming back to America but with employing fewer overall workers.

It would be great if we see more Americans with higher wages jobs, but it's also likely the market will innovate and develop solutions.

I should say that not all are here to live off the welfare program, but there's a large number that are.
You keep repeating a conservative talking point that is simply invalid.

What part of Illegal immigrants are ineligible for welfare do you not understand?

@helltoupee just smashed @colby25 with cold hard facts.

I also grew up in San Diego and I've never seen a harder working class of people than undocumented immigrants from Latin America. California is literally built on their backs. Every single person/family I've encountered that uses welfare are poor white people from Santee/Lakeside/El Cajon.

Adding to an old thread:

Indian national who pocketed $20 million by fraudulently importing foreign workers through the H-1B visa program to the U.S. will be deported after he completes time in federal prison.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...-fraudulently-importing-h-1b-foreign-workers/

Every year, more than 100,000 foreign workers are brought to the U.S. on the H-1B visa and are allowed to stay for up to six years. That number has ballooned to potentially hundreds of thousands each year, as universities and non-profits are exempt from the cap.

When Kosuri completes the sentence, he and his wife, along with their anchor baby, will be deported from the U.S.

Most of the money has probably been hidden away in India under various relative's names and only 2 years in prison with good behavior. But at least some justice is being seved.

Trump Pulls Huge Segment of Immigrant Work Permits, 124,000 Issued in 2015 Alone

https://conservativetribune.com/trump-pulls-h-4-work-permits/

“Make America Great Again” — a major part of his platform was to put American workers first, and make sure that imported foreign labor isn’t pushing out U.S. jobs. To the shock of his nay-sayers, it looks like Trump is making good on that promise.

While H-1B visas require applicants to be fairly well educated and have high-tech skills such as computer programming, the H-4 visa does not have the same requirements. Spouses of better qualified immigrants were able to use the program to gain work in more general jobs, essentially competing against everyday Americans.

Back