Illinois to ban "gay panic" murder defense in court. UPDATE: you won't believe how it's used now

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...illinois-to-ban-gay-panic-defense-in-new-year

Illinois To Ban 'Gay Panic Defense' In New Year

On Monday, Illinois will become the second state to ban the so-called "gay panic defense" in cases in which a murder defendant tries to justify their violence as a reaction to learning that their victim was gay.

California banned the defense tactic in 2014, a year after the American Bar Association called for its prohibition.

As The Associated Press reports, there is no single standard for the circumstances leading to the defense:

"There are variations, but it generally goes like this: A person doesn't realize someone is gay or transgender and engages in a flirtation, then discovers that person's sexual orientation and that discovery triggers a passionate involuntary response such as murder."

Activists for LGBTQ rights often point to the 1998 case of Matthew Shepard, a 21-year-old college student who was beaten to death by two men, one of whom claimed the victim had made sexual advances towards him.

The activists say they hope the law, which was approved by Illinois lawmakers in May and signed by Gov. Bruce Rauner in August, will provide momentum toward passing similar measures in other states.

"This new law ensures LGBTQ people are not blamed for the violence perpetrated against them simply because of who they are," Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, said in a statement shortly after Rauner signed the law.

The AP adds:

"Supporters plan to revive legislative attempts to ban what's also known as the 'trans panic' defense, in statehouses in Washington and New Jersey, where proposals haven't yet received committee votes. Advocates also hope to make inroads in New York, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota and Texas."

According to a study by the Williams Institute at the University of California Los Angeles Law School, gay panic and trans panic defenses have been used in courts in about half of the states in the U.S., even though no state penal code recognizes it as a free-standing defense.
This seems like common sense, but I can't wait to see people argue that gay panic is a perfectly normal human reaction and that even animals do it.

giphy.gif

Gay Panic???

This has actually been used as an excuse for murder??? wow.

I still think a trans person should be upfront about that when starting a relationship with someone. But that's just my opinion on that matter.

Does "gay panic" differ from temporary insanity?

Is temporary insanity still a viable defense for committing a crime of passion?

"Illinois will become the second state to ban the so-called "gay panic defense" in cases in which a murder defendant tries to justify their violence as a reaction to learning that their victim was gay."

So in 48 other states "I only murdered that person because he/she was gay" is a valid defense?

Are these the american values that WR retards are afraid Islam will ruin?

If you get tricked by a chick with a dick, then you just might like chicks with dicks. Have some personal responsibility.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...illinois-to-ban-gay-panic-defense-in-new-year

This seems like common sense, but I can't wait to see people argue that gay panic is a perfectly normal human reaction and that even animals do it.

They call this the "He needed killing defense" in Texas.
I was running through a cornfield backwards, then BOOM, gay panic hits, and I am killing everyone 19 or older atop corn husked crucifixes.

Names will not be named other than He Who Walks Behind the Rows.

So in 48 other states "I only murdered that person because he/she was gay" is a valid defense?

I think we are much more worried about Islam extremists murdering 50 gay people in a night club, but I guess you are okay with that.
If you look at the muslim world, you see such personal freedom and financial success.

I still think a trans person should be upfront about that when starting a relationship with someone. But that's just my opinion on that matter.

Agreed.

But if they aren't upfront I don't think murder should be an acceptable response

Agreed.

But if they aren't upfront I don't think murder should be an acceptable response
Well no shit murder shouldn't be an acceptable response.

Now say, you go to bed with a male to female person would punching them out be acceptable then? I mean... technically they have a Y chromosome right?

Oh yeah, the ole' gay panic murder defense. Good goto move.

{<huh}

Pretty sure this makes you a homophobe in today's climate.

"Illinois will become the second state to ban the so-called "gay panic defense" in cases in which a murder defendant tries to justify their violence as a reaction to learning that their victim was gay."

Yes... exactly the values we are worried may be ruined.

Pretty sure this makes you a homophobe in today's climate.
giphy.webp

Oh well. I'll admit some of the ones out in Thailand you see pics of and such... are extremely convincing to the point it almost isn't fair.

Well no shit murder shouldn't be an acceptable response.

Now say, you go to bed with a male to female person would punching them out be acceptable then? I mean... technically they have a Y chromosome right?

It's not legal for a man to assault another man.

I dont understand how they can ban any type of defense. Isn't this a free speech issue, and isnt it up to the jury to buy it (or not)?!

I dont understand how they can ban any type of defense. Isn't this a free speech issue, and isnt it up to the jury to buy it (or not)?!
I fall right of center and work in the legal field as a clerk... I fail to see how this has anything to do with free speech.

And most any defense is available but "gay panic" seems utterly ridiculous.

Back