I'm a CO on Riker's Island, AMA

How are racial tensions? Is it clearly divided by race?

Is solitary really worse than gen pop? I'd rather be alone than worry about being raped or shanked all the time.

Where do u live and what’s your commute.

That city’s a shithole imo

How are racial tensions? Is it clearly divided by race?

Is solitary really worse than gen pop? I'd rather be alone than worry about being raped or shanked all the time.

For the most part racial tensions are ok. We house by gang affiliation. Some gangs can't be mixed with others, obviously.

Right now we have a gang war going in between Bloods and Trinitarians (a Dominican gang). They have a shoot on sight rule. (Shoot means to cut)

You say top step is 90kish. How many CO’s make it? Is CO turnover high for a facility like Riker’s?

One of the reasons I went FD instead of PD/CO is not ever having to worry about running into citizens I’ve interacted with off duty. I guess a 1.5 mile commute gives you some decent padding?

Don’t know if anyone asked this already, but do inmates ever try to pay you to take a hike so they can try and murder someone?

If so, do you accept the bribe? If so, do you have to declare that as taxable income?

Ever been dragged to the sidewalk and beaten till you PISSED BLOOD??!

Great thread. Thanks TS

Few questions:

1. Ever had any escape attempt during your time? How did they do it and how far did they get?

2. Have you had any riot and what was it like?

3. What are you armed with?

4. Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?

You say top step is 90kish. How many CO’s make it? Is CO turnover high for a facility like Riker’s?

One of the reasons I went FD instead of PD/CO is not ever having to worry about running into citizens I’ve interacted with off duty. I guess a 1.5 mile commute gives you some decent padding?
Actually quite a lot make it to top pay. Turnover rate is higher but that's because people quit or go to PD or another agency within the 1st year or so. Living so far from the island gives me a little ease of mind I don't run into these crooks on the street

Don’t know if anyone asked this already, but do inmates ever try to pay you to take a hike so they can try and murder someone?

If so, do you accept the bribe? If so, do you have to declare that as taxable income?
There hasn't been any inmate on innate murder in quite some time. Inmates will yell a CO to make a tour before they fuck someone up. I don't listen to em tho

I wouldn't know. We don't have the box in my facility. But if assume it's worse from the stories I've heard.

Great thread. Thanks TS

Few questions:

1. Ever had any escape attempt during your time? How did they do it and how far did they get?

2. Have you had any riot and what was it like?

3. What are you armed with?

4. Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?
Oh boy. Lol lemme try to answer.

1. Last summer we had two guy actually escape from on of our small yards during rec. Island shuts down and no one is allowed off of it. We walked the perimeter of the facility looking for em. Found them a little after midnight.

2. No riot but I have a feeling this summer is going to be a bad one with the gang wars inside the jail.

3. Just a canister of OC spray. And our words lol.

4. 1 horse sized duck

1) major security threat groups?

2) segregate based off a p/i risk score? or does overcrowding prevent that?

3)last major staff/inmate assault you personally witnessed?

1. We call em security risk group. Same thing I guess. Largest on the island are Bloods and their multiple offshoots. Next is Latin Kings. Trinitarians and MS13 and Crips represent a small population. Currently have a war with Bloods and Trinitarians.

2. We're supposed to segregate based off of score/category but it goes SRG/Score/classification. Neutrals are housed off of score/classification.

3. Capt was assaulted a few weeks back. Pretty bad

Have you ever tried prison wine?

Do you have huges Samoans in there that can fight like Mark Hunt?

Do you guys know who the shot callers are?
Does it seem necessary to know?

What's a bigger shithole?

Rikers or St James Park

Back