I'm an Atheist/Nihilist, ask me anyting

My questions are more directed at the nihilism aspect of your OP.

Are you nostalgic about anything to do with your respective culture, customs, traditions, history, heritage, identity, or your ancestors story? Or is it all meaningless and insignificant to you?

Nostalgic? I am not sure what you mean here. I can talk about customs and traditions. Customs and traditions of many cultures are interesting, but not particularly productive or relevant in today's world. It's actually holding back progress. Many traditions are full of superstition and illogical nonsense. The problems arise when forcing a tradition overtakes logical decisions because of a parent's forceful hand, peer-pressure, etc. History is full of examples of forcing people to do dumb shit because of "tradition".

Its meaningless to me but not to other people. So there is only so much I can ignore. We are all a victim in some sense of people's or cultures collective stupid beliefs. But mostly I ignore their dumb shit when I can.

Identity is a tough one. It is something personal people choose to hold dear. And it varies. Muslims and Jews use religion as an identity, regardless of heritage background. People with gender disorders identify the "desired" gender or even made up genders as their identity. I used to argue till my face turned blue about that, but it's pointless, people latch on to "identities" to fill a void. As long as they are happy who cares, as long as they don't force their shit on other people.

Do you believe in preservation? Cultural preservation, wildlife/ecosystem preservation etc.

I believe in science, evidence and compassion. A culture devoid of these things are not worth preserving. Of Course I believe in wildlife preservation, I have kids, they will inherit a more dirty world than I was born in. We are destroying our planet and destroying ourselves. We are the dumbest animals on the planet.

Do you enjoy a good MMA match, or do you not recognize that one MMA match has value over another? What about the opposite sex? Do some potential love interests engender stronger feelings of passion, emotion, value, and perhaps even purpose, or do you see that as some sort of "construct" or chemical trick?

At this point I doubt these are serious questions. We are a result of evolutionary process and chemical reactions. It's a nature vs nurture debate. You can't deny it's mostly a chemical drive.

Nostalgic? I am not sure what you mean here. I can talk about customs and traditions. Customs and traditions of many cultures are interesting, but not particularly productive or relevant in today's world. It's actually holding back progress.

I believe in science, evidence and compassion. A culture devoid of these things are not worth preserving.
Compassion is just an evolutionary process though.

Why are you ascribing meaning to that?

And what do you mean by progress? Progress to what?

Compassion is just an evolutionary process though.

Why are you ascribing meaning to that?

And what do you mean by progress? Progress to what?

I didn't really ascribe meaning to compassion. Compassion is a side effect of evolution so we don't kill ourselves off. Like other animals in the animal kingdom. Richard Dawkins selfish gene. Look that up, it explains it very well.

Progress in the sense of living longer, smarter and travelling to the stars. Becoming bionic. Read Sapiens/Homo deus, it explains it very well.

I can't ask you a question because your nihilism leaves me in a void of apathy.

I can't ask you a question because your nihilism leaves me in a void of apathy.

Come on bro, that's absurd. Discussion is great.

Just because life has the meaning we ascribe to it doesnt mean we have to be all glum and shit.

Come on bro, that's absurd. Discussion is great.

Just because life has the meaning we ascribe to it doesnt mean we have to be all glum and shit.
You're such a weirdo, but this is a good point and it has a logical conclusion that religious people peace out of faster than @Clippy at a strip club.

If it's true that there's no god (and this is certainly what the evidence suggests), then we're already living in the godless world. What religious people are afraid of, therefore, is a world that we believe is godless- not a godless world, but the idea of a godless world. The acknowledgment of the most likely truth is the scary thing. So what would we do morally if there wasn't a god? Exactly what we do. A lot of us pretend there's a god, and a lot of us don't bother. And our morals are pretty much the same, and the world goes on as is does.

I have compiled a dossier.

Also:

paul.jpg

Ha ha. I've never watched that show. I always hear good things. I loved The Big Sick. Didn't realize the lead actor was on Silicon Valley. Definitely will watch now.

Great show, and my only previous exposure to the phrase "I'm a LaVeyan Satanist" (heard of LaVey before, of course).

Back