I'm gonna quit drinking

Good luck man. If you believe it's becoming an issue, it's better to address it now before it gets out of hand. I'm on my millionth attempt at sobriety at the moment. Drinking has essentially made my life unmanageable at this point. Failed relationships, missing work, health issues, etc. I absolutely agree that sobriety can seem pretty scary at times, but heavy drinking can get ugly very fast.

I don't drink enough.

I have too many open bottles of liquor in my cabinet and they are starting to go bad. Some are open more than a year or close to 2.

Feels like such a tragedy

Will you be changing your username to 'no beer?'

I am working toward that too. I actually got into a really bad habit just over a year ago of not being able to sleep ,and would take a couple sleeping pills after work. I then began adding alcohol to the mix and it just became a "way of life". It got to where I was up to 4x the recommended dosage of the pills, and was still drinking with them.

It hit me just over a month ago that the last year has really been a blur, and my only conscious efforts were to hold it together enough to pay my bills, and not mess up my career. Everything else was really just "whatever". That's really what hit me, I thought about friends and family that I had just pushed aside, the money wasted, and I also did a lot of major bucket list stuff and I just don't feel like I appreciated any of it.

When I decided to stop though, I made the mistake of going "cold turkey" on both immediately, and the first night I passed it all off as "insomnia". The second day I got really bad headaches, and I took some aspirin and it was a long night. The third day I got extremely sick, I ended up looking some things up online about withdrawals, and I ended up calling my mom who used to be an addiction counselor for advice, and was told slowly decreasing is the best way to go about it. I should be completely off by Christmas.

The hardest part is changing my habits and routine, like forcing myself to drink more water/eating better ,or going to the gym after work, and not just watching tv/playing xbox while drinking. I wish you and anyone else luck, keep your goal(s) in mind and you can do it!

Good luck man. If you believe it's becoming an issue, it's better to address it now before it gets out of hand. I'm on my millionth attempt at sobriety at the moment. Drinking has essentially made my life unmanageable at this point. Failed relationships, missing work, health issues, etc. I absolutely agree that sobriety can seem pretty scary at times, but heavy drinking can get ugly very fast.

I recently went a few days without and didn't have any physical withdrawal, but I kept having that nagging sensation that I just NEEDED to get drunk.

I didn't quit then and there, but I need to before it becomes more than psychological.

Careful sherbro's. Cold turkey from alcohol can cause Strokes. Nameless Ghoul is on the money here.
Good luck

Careful sherbro's. Cold turkey from alcohol can cause Strokes. Nameless Ghoul is on the money here.
Good luck

Like I said in my last post, even going a few days without, I have zero physical withdrawal symptoms. Which is good, to stop it before it has the chance to get truly nasty.

Like I said in my last post, even going a few days without, I have zero physical withdrawal symptoms. Which is good, to stop it before it has the chance to get truly nasty.

Ok. How are you going to keep yourself occupied?

Alcohol is how we hide from the darkness, but eventually you must get strong enough to not need it.

I am working toward that too. I actually got into a really bad habit just over a year ago of not being able to sleep ,and would take a couple sleeping pills after work. I then began adding alcohol to the mix and it just became a "way of life". It got to where I was up to 4x the recommended dosage of the pills, and was still drinking with them.

It hit me just over a month ago that the last year has really been a blur, and my only conscious efforts were to hold it together enough to pay my bills, and not mess up my career. Everything else was really just "whatever". That's really what hit me, I thought about friends and family that I had just pushed aside, the money wasted, and I also did a lot of major bucket list stuff and I just don't feel like I appreciated any of it.

When I decided to stop though, I made the mistake of going "cold turkey" on both immediately, and the first night I passed it all off as "insomnia". The second day I got really bad headaches, and I took some aspirin and it was a long night. The third day I got extremely sick, I ended up looking some things up online about withdrawals, and I ended up calling my mom who used to be an addiction counselor for advice, and was told slowly decreasing is the best way to go about it. I should be completely off by Christmas.

The hardest part is changing my habits and routine, like forcing myself to drink more water/eating better ,or going to the gym after work, and not just watching tv/playing xbox while drinking. I wish you and anyone else luck, keep your goal(s) in mind and you can do it!

Glad you're doing better bro

I don't drink enough.

I have too many open bottles of liquor in my cabinet and they are starting to go bad. Some are open more than a year or close to 2.

Feels like such a tragedy
You're a disgrace to Ireland.

I'm gonna quit drinking. Sobriety is scary.

I never drank. Hate the taste of alcohol and beer. I've never been drunk either. Even after those wild Fraternity parties in college. Saw a lot of my friends go down a dark road with alcohol and drugs. Sobriety is wonderful. Face your demons, beat them, and go on with life. Life is so much better sober.

What's the ABV like?

I never drank. Hate the taste of alcohol and beer. I've never been drunk either. Even after those wild Fraternity parties in college. Saw a lot of my friends go down a dark road with alcohol and drugs. Sobriety is wonderful. Face your demons, beat them, and go on with life. Life is so much better sober.

How do you know life is so much sober if you've never even been drunk?

Good luck. I've been trying for years; sadly I like being drunk and I enjoy smoking way more when I'm drunk. Plus, drinking make me forget that I don't actually like the taste of beer. So it's been difficult.

Back