I'm looking for some great boxing quotes

HelpYouFall

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would just throw it out there:

A friend of mine is going to do a painting for me about boxing. Now I'm looking for some great line about boxing. It can be anything. Some insight on the Sweet Science, a great quote from a boxer or perhaps a reporter (something Lampley, Kellerman, Merchant or Bert Sugar perhaps said). It can be motivational, retrospective, funny, whatever.

I have been googling some things, but it seems there are some walking, talking boxing encyclopedia on this board, so you never know. Thanks in advance, folks!

"In the films the good guy always wins, but this is one bad guy who ain't gonna lose.”
Sonny Liston.

It's my personal favorite

I read a great qoute by Goerge Benton (RIP) where I think when someone asked why he never got knocked down in his pro career he siad:

"I've got eyes on my ass, and I slip punches in my dreams"

Round 10 of Corrales vs Castillo 1 after the second knockdown on Diego Joe Goossen looks at him putting his mouth guard in and says:

"You gotta fucking get inside on him now!"

Tommy Hearns vs Sugar Ray Leonard I can't remember which round but Emanuel Steward saying:

"Tommy, this is what it takes to be great!"

I think I remember a Pernell Whitaker qoute something like:

"I don't care who you are, if I didn't want you to hit me not even the devil could touch me" or something like that.

I think I remember reading in Raging Bull after the 4th round when Lamotta was putting a severe beatdown on the injured Marcel Cerdan his corner was asking Marcel if he wanted to continue and he replied:

"If you stop the fight I will kill myself"

I don't have the exact qoutes with me so some of them are probably a little miss worded.

Wow, some truly great quotes already that I never heard. Keep it up! Further more, do any of you know any great pictures, websites, photographers for some visual inspiration for the painting? That would be a great help too.

By the way, here's a picture of another painting she made for me. It's one of LeBron James (yeah yeah, LBJ sucks, he's a choker and a quitter blablabla :)) Thought I'd let her do it in the same style:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quality ain't that great and I had to use flash cause my room is kind of dark, colors look much better in real life.

Heres a good one Roger Mayweather on Manny being on PED's

That motherfucker is on the A-side meth, that's what the fuck he's on," "It's called the A-side meth. He on that or he on something else. The A-side meth is what they used to have 500 years ago. Remember when the Philippines were fighting the US soldiers? They were shooting them motherfucks with 45s. And 45s were bouncing off their motherfucker ass. They weren't even dying shit they was living all the day long my nigg a!"

"I wrassled with an alligator, tussled with a whale,
handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail.
Only last week i murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick...
...i'm so mean i make medicine sick"

- muhammed ali

"he's a big lad, if i found him in bed with my girlfriend, i'd tuck him in!"

ricky hatton, talking about his opponent (forget who).

"Don't you know I'm God!" - Ali

"God's getting knocked on his ass tonight"

probably dramatized by Frazier, but I like the idea of it

Also.. Carmen Bosilio to howard cosell

"9 out of 10 sports journalists have you getting knocked out tonight"

"9 of them are wrong" end of interview...loved it.

though prob not painting worthy..

I have to say the recent Merchant retort to Floyd,"If I was 50 years younger, I'd kick your ass!."

It will end up ranking fairly high. PT Barnum could not have staged it any better.

Tyson: I wish that you guys had children so I could kick them in the fucking head or stomp on their testicles so you could feel my pain because that's the pain I have waking up every day.

When I was a lot angrier that quote made me feel like Tyson was a true bro.

If it were up to me I'd have the painting quoted as.. "Boxing - Theatre of the Unexpected" as it's been so eloquently described by Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant.

Also,

"Bang! Bang Bang Bang!"
- Jim Lampley

and,

"Okay, Jim....."
- Harold Letterman

Back