I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

Conor free-balled what it took GSP 4 years to do. McGregor is the OFFICIAL GOAT.

If you don't defend a title, you don't deserve to be considered a legit champion of that division.

Combat sports has a long and storied tradition and unwritten rule stating as much. The reason being is that a fighter has to prove it wasn't a fluke that got you that belt. You have to defend...against a legit opponent and not some bum.

I say this as a huge GSP fan.

&tldr

As much as it grinds my gears he will not defend, as much fun as I make of GSP and his fan base he is the true GOAT. Goodluck in what ever he chooses to do.

Whitaker is the interim champ only and will only be undisputed of he beats the middleweight champion or is promoted by the UFC.

GSP is no longer welterweight champ because he relinquished the title, not because of inactivity. Bisping did not relinquish the belt, nor was he stripped, therefore he was still champ

So what youre saying is that you would consider Bisping the MW champion if he didnt commpete for 10 years, didnt relinquish the belt and wasnt stripped.

You have very low standards for champion. With this logic, the title may as well not exist.....

Last edited:
No It is really not. He was goin to fight RDA, then ended up fighting Alvarez. Both of them as fighters and champions are far more legitimate than bisping was.

yup this

I'm sorry I'm missing the difference in the two scenarios.
I'm confused as to how Eddie Alvarez is a more legitimate UFC champion than Bisping was? Eddie wasn't supposed to beat RDA but he did, just like Bisping wasn't going to beat Rockhold, but he did. There is no difference in the 2 scenarios. The fact that Dana White needed something to generate a PPV draw was the problem. Both Conor and GSP took what was given to them, regardless of fighting paper champs.

I'm sorry I'm missing the difference in the two scenarios.
I'm confused as to how Eddie Alvarez is a more legitimate UFC champion than Bisping was? Eddie wasn't supposed to beat RDA but he did, just like Bisping wasn't going to beat Rockhold, but he did. There is no difference in the 2 scenarios. The fact that Dana White needed something to generate a PPV draw was the problem. Both Conor and GSP took what was given to them, regardless of fighting paper champs.

Bisping lost his legitimacy as champ during his reign.....holding a belt that long without ever defending keeps the casuall audience from being able to discern the best fighters....

Whitaker beat Jacare and Romero, the two highest ranking contenders in the division and got a belt for it while Bisping fought Dan Henderson, who wasnt even in the top ten.....

Like i said in an earlier post....it would be like BJ Penn getting the next crack at conor and winning....I wouldnt consider him a legitimate LW champ for winning 1 LW fight in 9 years while there is an active champ in the division on a long win streak.

think about this.....the last time the title GSP has was defended against a top MW was when Weidman defended against Rockhold.....in 2015.....that belt is toilet paper....

Last edited:
still a two division champ in every sense of the word.

So what youre saying is that you would consider Bisping the MW champion if he didnt commpete for 10 years, didnt relinquish the belt and wasnt stripped.

You have very low standards for champion. With this logic, the title may as well not exist.....

what i "consider" is irrelevant. its the UFC's belt and they determine who the champion is.

what i "consider" is irrelevant. its the UFC's belt and they determine who the champion is.
This isnt the WWE. This is a legitimate sport. The promotion is not supposed to randomly pick and choose champions.....

So you would see no problem if the UFC gave Paige and Sage belts and called them champions for no reason?

A championship in any sport is supposed to denote the best. Its an award for merit, not just some arbitrary accessory that everyone gets to have.

Its a goal, not a participation trophy.

Poor gsp

First colitis and now random from the internet doesn’t think he should get credit for winning the mw belt.

I fear that will this set his recovery back for quite some time.

Hallelujah!

GSP has vacated! Whitaker is your new MW champion!

Order has finally been restored to MW!

Nothing against him, but he beat a past prime bisping. Who wasn't even a top 5 fighter. On some level we have to take off the rose coloured glasses and see that win for what It was.

It was a good win and a good performance having been off for 4 years but It certainly shouldn't have been a championship fight.

We all know Bisping was the equivalent of Matt serra when It comes to credibility as a champion.

That said, no hate on him for not staying at middleweight. No reason for him to fight the killers of that divisionn at this stage of his career,
Worst poster on Sherdog but is it on purpose?

This isnt the WWE. This is a legitimate sport. The promotion is not supposed to randomly pick and choose champions.....

So you would see no problem if the UFC gave Paige and Sage belts and called them champions for no reason?

A championship in any sport is supposed to denote the best. Its an award for merit, not just some arbitrary accessory that everyone gets to have.

Its a goal, not a participation trophy.

a promotion can do whatever they want with their titles. the scenarios you are presenting are unlikely

a promotion can do whatever they want with their titles. the scenarios you are presenting are unlikely
i am trying to see where you would draw the line on legitimacy of a title, but apparently, to you, the champion could be anyone a promotion gives a belt, even if they dont fight.....i just think thats a bit fridiculous....

i am trying to see where you would draw the line on legitimacy of a title, but apparently, to you, the champion could be anyone a promotion gives a belt, even if they dont fight.....i just think thats a bit fridiculous....

i likely wouldn't be watching if they just handed out belts, but my point is, whoever the champion is is not an opinion

i likely wouldn't be watching if they just handed out belts, but my point is, whoever the champion is is not an opinion

There has to be a more objective standard than 'whoever the company picks'.....otherwise, its meaningless. Alot of fighters would choose against the occupation if champion just signified the promoters favorite fighters.

There has to be a more objective standard than 'whoever the company picks'.....otherwise, its meaningless. Alot of fighters would choose against the occupation if champion just signified the promoters favorite fighters.

combat sports have always been like that. its never gonna be like the major sports

Back