I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

By this logic, Bisping could have just defended his title 13 times against Dan Henderson and become the most accomplished MW champion in history.....its absolutely necessary for fans and historians to understand when a title becomes illegitimate. Otherwise we will end up with an endless stream of "champions" like Mcgregor and Bisping.

Its up to the fans to call bullshit like this out for what it is.....fuckery.

When the crazy situation you described above happens then we can revisit this. Making up scenarios that have never happened to try and validate your convoluted system of deciding who the real champ is, is just making things more complicated then they need to be.

It wasn’t the interim belt, it was the belt Anderson Silva drop to Chris Weidman

Miocic is a legit,DC since Jones is a cheater,GSP was legit mw and need to fight Woodley, Cucuy is not,Holloway is now legit but never beat mcgoat, dillshaw dethrone two time the legit champion and Johnson is the only men to ever wear the 125’s belt

Whittaker belt doesn’t exist, I’m considering his fight with Rockhold as the fight to would determin the man who win the vacate middleweight belt

When the crazy situation you described above happens then we can revisit this. Making up scenarios that have never happened to try and validate your convoluted system of deciding who the real champ is, is just making things more complicated then they need to be.
Okay, ill use the situation that actually happened. If a fighter gets an undeserved title shot due to last minute replacement and wins, then goes 17 months without a legitimate title defense, he is no longer the legitimate champion. Especially if there is another champion in the division who is actually fighting and beating the top contenders. Bisping belt became toilet paper when he decided to fight a 46 year old unranked MW and a retired WW while Whitaker beat the #2 and #1 contender to earn his belt.

Whitakers belt was an actual championship belt. Bispings belt hadnt been defended against a top MW since 2015.....it was garbage......the more legitimate champion is the real one.

Look at ranking sites besides sherdog sometimes. GSP was ranked 8 or 9 at MW for being the 'champion' while the real champion is properly ranked #1. Thats how illegitimate the MW title became.....

How illegitimate does a title have to become to rank the champion outside the top 5.....its ridiculous.....

Thread title makes me laugh a little bit

<FookIsThatGuy>

Whittaker belt doesn’t exist, I’m considering his fight with Rockhold as the fight to would determin the man who win the vacate middleweight belt

Whitakers belt was far more legitimate than Bispings. He beat the top contenders at MW that the 'champion' refused to fight while the 'champion' fought an unranked 46 year old and an unranked retired WW.

Whitakers belt was far more legitimate than Bispings. He beat the top contenders at MW that the 'champion' refused to fight while the 'champion' fought an unranked 46 year old and an unranked retired WW.

Which one was the current champ: Romero,Jacare or Bisping

Which one was the current champ: Romero,Jacare or Bisping
Define 'current'.

A belt earned beating the #2 and #1 contender within the last year is more legitimate than a belt from an undeserved title shot that hadn't been legitimately defended against a top MW in over 23 months.

Once again, under this logic, Bisping could have held a belt hostage for a decade fighting unranked retirees instead of being champion.

I believe a championship in a professional sport has higher standards than this and situations need to be understood in context when evaluating careers and title legitimacy.

Bisping had the most wins in UFC history, sure. But in reality, he had one great career win. An undeserved title shot where he pulled off a fLuke.....

He never defended the belt since against a legitimate MW while Whitaker has a win streak over the top contenders in the division.

The fact that an interim belt needed to be made when the champion was healthy enough to fight says everything about the legitimacy of that belt.

When does a belt lose legitimacy for you? If you considered GSP champion for beating Bisping, then you are basically saying that someone could be a champion with a belt that hasn't been defended against a top contender in over 2 years.

If thats the case, where is the cutoff for you? 3 years, 5 years.....im genuinely curious at what point you would consider a belt illegitimate.

Last edited:
Nothing against him, but he beat a past prime bisping. Who wasn't even a top 5 fighter. On some level we have to take off the rose coloured glasses and see that win for what It was.

It was a good win and a good performance having been off for 4 years but It certainly shouldn't have been a championship fight.

We all know Bisping was the equivalent of Matt serra when It comes to credibility as a champion.

That said, no hate on him for not staying at middleweight. No reason for him to fight the killers of that divisionn at this stage of his career,

Ya well, however you slice it, past his prime bisping still beat in his prime Rockhold for the strap and was the legitimate champ when GSP beat him which does in fact make George a 2 division champ.

Sorry, nice try though.

Actually on that one night Serra was better than GSP - in sport winning means better. Its what differentiates sport from say art competitions. Even GSP will admit that. Its just that one night was an anomaly.

This is mental gymnastics.

We look at your body of work over a suitable period of time, and rank you by how many of your peers you can beat.

Georges could beat all of his peers, and generally did, when he lost to Serra.

Serra had a low-likelihood outcome he couldn't repate, and was most certainly not capable of beating most of his peers.

Winning one big race doesn't make you the best runner. Consistently winning big races makes you the best.

Bisping was never the best at any point in time, I can't even come up with a scenario where he was ever top 3.

Nothing against him, but he beat a past prime bisping. Who wasn't even a top 5 fighter. On some level we have to take off the rose coloured glasses and see that win for what It was.

It was a good win and a good performance having been off for 4 years but It certainly shouldn't have been a championship fight.

We all know Bisping was the equivalent of Matt serra when It comes to credibility as a champion.

That said, no hate on him for not staying at middleweight. No reason for him to fight the killers of that divisionn at this stage of his career,
sorry, but there was a reason.
He got the fucking belt and it is the fucking job of the champion to defend.

It is about time dumbasses stop trying to justify champions not defending their belts.
It is a fucking disservice for the sport of MMA.

If you are such a nuthugger to be that fighter's fan (but not the sport), it is fine by me. But stop justifying things for them when their PERSONAL interest is not aligned with the SPORT.
Admit you want what's best for that fighter, and avoid posting such garbage on an MMA forum (hint: this is MMA forum, not GSP Nuthuggers Forum).

Ya well, however you slice it, past his prime bisping still beat in his prime Rockhold for the strap and was the legitimate champ when GSP beat him which does in fact make George a 2 division champ.

Sorry, nice try though.
not really.
There were two champs, and GSP refusing to unify the belt makes WHittaker the undisputed champion, not GSP.
nice try though

He announced he doesn't want to come back to MW today.

He will never be considered a 2 division champ in my eyes.....Whitaker was the champ the second he beat Jacare and Romero......

Calling GSP a 2 division champ cheapens the accomplishment.....

Bisping sat on the belt for 518 days (17 months) without ever defending against a top MW. Thats enough time for 4 of 5 fights. Meanwhile, Whitaker beat Jacare and Romero. Whitakers belt is the real one.
Did he not win a belt at ww and a belt at mw

Did he not win a belt at ww and a belt at mw
He is definitely the WW GOAT and had a long championship reign there.

However when it comes to MW, he never fought the legitimate champion. Theres nothing wrong with that. I think Bisping made a good tune-up fight for his return, but to call GSP the MW champion when he just made his MW debut fighting for an illegitimate belt is ridiculous.....when GSP vacated, the belt he had was two years removed from a defense against a top mw.....it was a paperweight....

calling GSP a 2 division champion takes away from what the accomplishment actually meant when pulled off by Penn and Couture....they beat legitimate champions, GSP beat a guy on his retiremant lap that held the division hostage bor the better part of 2 years.....

The "belts" and "divisional champions" in UFC during the WME-IMG era is all fucked up

Now that they have this huge debt they are trying to recoup, they are willing to bend some rules for the sake of money

This is a detriment to finding out who is really the best fighter of our times

They are willing to let their champions go off and pick their own fights (i.e. Bisping v. Henderson, etc) and allow the belts go unchallenged by top contenders for months/years at a time (i.e. McGregor)

They know that the casuals won't ever consider the prevailing circumstances behind the "accolades", which hardcore MMA fans know to be true. The road to some championships are much easier than others have had to endure.

I was a fan GSP but the current bullshit he pulled has soured me on him. I don't recognize him as ever being a legitimate holder of the MW belt, for many good reasons others have already stated.

He is definitely the WW GOAT and had a long championship reign there.

However when it comes to MW, he never fought the legitimate champion. Theres nothing wrong with that. I think Bisping made a good tune-up fight for his return, but to call GSP the MW champion when he just made his MW debut fighting for an illegitimate belt is ridiculous.....
Sometimes brotha you just can't argue with basic facts.

I agree with you for the most part actually....but he is a two division champ.

Back