I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

Nope GSP's belt is the real one because GSP beat the real champ, the guy who beat Luke Rockhold who was the real champ before Bisping that's the way it works.

Two good wins does not mean your automatically considered the real champ. When Rockhold won the belt he had a great 5 fight win streak but at the end of the day he still got KO'd by Bisping. Maybe the same would have happened to Whittaker who knows. That's the thing about this sport you don't know until the fight actually happens. That's why playing fantasy scenarios like this doesn't ever work because MMA is to unpredictable. It's easier to just follow the belt.

Whitaker is the real champ. Do you still recognize GSP as the WW champ? Of course not, he hasn't fought a top WW in 4 years.

Bisping went 17 months without fighting a top MW. His belt became tin while Whitaker beat all the guys Bisping refused to fight.

By your logic, Bisping could have retired with the MW belt and remained champion until death. Its stupid. Nobody believed that the winner of Bisping/GSP was the best MW in the world. The same cannot be said for Rockhold vs Whitaker.....

Same could be said for Conor. He beat Eddie Alvarez to get his 2nd belt.

Eddie got dominated by cowboy and was lucky to get those 2 split decision victories. Was also fortunate to get the title shot after that terrible Pettis fight.

Mcgregor tried to fight RDA when RDA looked unbeatable. GSP never had any intention of fighting Rockhold, Romero or any top MW. He never intended on being champion of the MW division. He just wanted an overhyped victory over Michael Bisping, a champion who never defended his belt against any contenders.

Last edited:
No offence to him, but Eddie Alvarez is a GOAT?

I immediately thought the same thing.....then i took a moment and realized that Alvarez has been champion of every organization he competed in......

There really is a case to argue that he is one of the greatest LWs ever.....

Whitaker is the real champ. Do you still recognize GSP as the WW champ? Of course not, he hasn't fought a top WW in 4 years.

Bisping went 17 months without fighting a top MW. His belt became tin while Whitaker beat all the guys Bisping refused to fight.

By your logic, Bisping could have retired with the MW belt and remained champion until death. Its stupid. Nobody believed that the winner of Bisping/GSP was the best MW in the world. The same cannot be said for Rockhold vs Whitaker.....

No I don't consider GSP the real champ at WW because he released the belt and retired. He willingly gave up the belt. Your logic is the one that makes things confusing and all over the place. It's much easier to just follow in the lineal belt. Instead of trying to decide who's fighting top fighters and how long it's been etc. Mine is very simple beat the champ, now your the champ, next.

Your logic is: How long has it been since he beat a top fighter? Who else is fighting top fighters? Out of the other guys fighting top fighters who has fought more top fighters? It just becomes a mess of a situation and one not worth going through.

There is no argument. Eddie without a doubt one of the greatest LW's ever this can't even be argued. I don't think he's the GOAT LW though.

Luke is not the best MW in the world he has a glass jaw, and an EGO that already led to his downfall once.. I don't care if that punch was perfectly on the button Bisping does not KO anybody. He is legendary for those pillow hands..

yeah he outsized some FW's, some were roughly the same size like poirier, holloway and aldo.

he was taller than alvarez, a lot of guys are at LW, alvarez is thick though.

he definitely didn't make alvarez look small.

Aldo was the same size huh? Fucking lying mutt.

I immediately thought the same thing.....then i took a moment and realized that Alvarez has been champion of every organization he competed in......

Yeah I take your point on board. I don't think the roster of Bellator compares well against what the UFC had to offer but can't argue your point and he did just beat the linear champion of another organisation.

One of the greatest, but for the greatest at LW, it's very hard to say that it's not BJ Penn for his body of work in the division between UFC 37 through to his first loss vs Frankie Edgar (UFC 112). That was 8 years of solid fights notwithstanding his losses outside the division when he just wanted to scrap (see what I did there?).

One would also have to throw Gilbert Melendez in the mix too IMO.

He has fought at MW the same number of times as mcgregor has fought at LW.

I don't see you disputing mcgregor's claim.

The LW belt hadn't had a lull in defenses since Pettis in 2013. The belt has been regularly defended. Its been proven that it was around the waste of the best when Mcgregor fought for it.

That said, I havent considered Mcgregor champion since Tony got the belt.

One is on a long win streak; the other just made their promotional debut at that weight class and hasn't defended the belt in 392 days. (13 months)

The situations are a bit different. If BJ Penn came out of retirement tomorrow and challenged Mcgregor for the belt and won, I wouldn't consider him the legitimate champion unless he beat Tony.

Last edited:
So now we're taking away championship reigns because we don't respect the champion they beat? GTFO.

No we are keeping things in perspective. Bisping had a belt, but he wasn't a champion. He beat Rockhold once almost 2 years ago and never defended. Whitakers belt was clearly the more legitimate title.

Did you believe the winner of Bisping/GSP was the best MW in the UFC?

Last edited:
No I don't consider GSP the real champ at WW because he released the belt and retired. He willingly gave up the belt. Your logic is the one that makes things confusing and all over the place. It's much easier to just follow in the lineal belt. Instead of trying to decide who's fighting top fighters and how long it's been etc. Mine is very simple beat the champ, now your the champ, next.

Your logic is: How long has it been since he beat a top fighter? Who else is fighting top fighters? Out of the other guys fighting top fighters who has fought more top fighters? It just becomes a mess of a situation and one not worth going through.
By this logic, Bisping could have just defended his title 13 times against Dan Henderson and become the most accomplished MW champion in history.....its absolutely necessary for fans and historians to understand when a title becomes illegitimate. Otherwise we will end up with an endless stream of "champions" like Mcgregor and Bisping.

Its up to the fans to call bullshit like this out for what it is.....fuckery.

Whitaker is the interim champ only and will only be undisputed of he beats the middleweight champion or is promoted by the UFC.

GSP is no longer welterweight champ because he relinquished the title, not because of inactivity. Bisping did not relinquish the belt, nor was he stripped, therefore he was still champ

I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

If you don't defend a title, you don't deserve to be considered a legit champion of that division.

Combat sports has a long and storied tradition and unwritten rule stating as much. The reason being is that a fighter has to prove it wasn't a fluke that got you that belt. You have to defend...against a legit opponent and not some bum.

I say this as a huge GSP fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back