In case Gas moves back to 170... Does he lose that nasty KO power?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What u guys say? Gas been KOing everybody at 185... Dont remember him doing the same at 170... maybe its the speed too.

No but he might lose his life trying to cut all that weight again.

This dude just turned into Crusty da Crab, pinching the towel for dear life, trying to make 185.

He's not making 170 again.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I doubt it. He's only 26 and came from a wrestling background. For years in his younger days, Hendo was known as Decision Dan. Sometimes it takes these wrestlers awhile to get their striking game to the level that they can really take advantage of their natural power. Power means nothing if you're not able to land it.

This dude just turned into Crusty da Crab, pinching the towel for dear life, trying to make 185.

I agree and it sucks. I just don't think he's big enough to deal with elite grappler at MW. Weidman looked two weight classes bigger and absolutely ragdolled him every time he got his hands on him.

I think a lot of his power will be lost obviously just due to the lower amount of mass, but his boxing game is higher than most people in the UFC and a hook on the chin will Knock you on your ass even if its like 20% power. Ask GSP about that.. the hook he landed on bisping didn't even have much power on it, he just caught bisping perfectly

I think a lot of his power will be lost obviously just due to the lower amount of mass, but his boxing game is higher than most people in the UFC and a hook on the chin will Knock you on your ass even if its like 20% power. Ask GSP about that.. the hook he landed on bisping didn't even have much power on it, he just caught bisping perfectly

I honestly don't think K he's carrying all that much more meaningful mass at MW than he was at WW. He looks pretty soft at MW. Sure, more weight equals more power, but 15 more pounds isn't a great deal of mass behind a punch. It's a much bigger deal if there's 15 more pounds of muscle driving that punch and I don't think that's the case with Gastelum.

Yes and no

His technique might have got better
But he also loses strength

I honestly don't think K he's carrying all that much more meaningful mass at MW than he was at WW. He looks pretty soft at MW. Sure, more weight equals more power, but 15 more pounds isn't a great deal of mass behind a punch. It's a much bigger deal if there's 15 more pounds of muscle driving that punch and I don't think that's the case with Gastelum.

15 lbs of mass makes a gigantic difference, even if it's fat.

I just like the fact that we are cool with calling him “Gas”

He should stay at mw, that is his weight class. He finished 3 mw's already, not an easy feat. I want to see him vs whitaker, I think it'll be an awesome fight & Kelvin has a good chance finishing whitaker.

That was so weird...Seriously AC people are blind or something? DC's towelgate was pretty obvious, but this was a weird one too.

If you let Kelvin fight the equivalent of old farts like Kennedy (now retired) and Belfort at 170, he would knock them out too.

No, but I think he's not going to land as clean on most 170'ers.
He's not a guy that is carrying useless muscle, he cares extra fat into his fights. He looks like he does outside of camp

I agree and it sucks. I just don't think he's big enough to deal with elite grappler at MW. Weidman looked two weight classes bigger and absolutely ragdolled him every time he got his hands on him.
I think Gastelum just isn't good at cutting weight, or perhaps his body isn't. Didn't he almost miss weight against Bisping? Weidman (like Rockhold) are masters at weight cutting and probably 215lbs in the cage. I believe Jones cut from 215 lbs against DC in the rematch for comparison sake.

Gastelum is already thick for his size, but perhaps he can gain a bit more size to deal with wrestlers. Provided his weight cutting skills improve also.

nah he should stay at 185

he has a shot to beat brunson, jacare and some other guys

Back