IN DEPTH Review: Black Lucky Gi & FightPlanet.ca Service Review * PICS *

Uh.. don't EVER use fabric softener on a gi.

Vinegar is good, but good lord man you might as well beat it against concrete if youre gonna use fabric softener.

Are you kidding me? Fabric softener is like my number one BJJ tip. I use it every wash, often two sheets, in the dryer cycle on delicate. It makes your gi feel like a pair of pajamas, ridiculously comfortable.

As far as them "damaging the gi," that's not how fabric softeners work bro.

Fabric softener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fabric softeners work by coating the surface of the cloth fibers with a thin layer of chemicals; these chemicals have lubricant properties and are electrically conductive, thus making the fibers feel smoother and preventing buildup of static electricity. Other functions are improvements of iron glide during ironing, increased resistance to stains, and reduction of wrinkling."

Seriously, all of y'all who have never experienced fabric softened gis ... I pity you. My Vulkans are super light, and have held up great for years being machine washed and dryed each time with fabric softener. No gi should have any problems with that. And if it does, it's a bad gi IMHO.

As far as the black Lucky gi, I was considering treating myself to one when I hit brown belt, since after watching Lovato rocking it at the Mundials, I was smitten with its awesome looks. This thread has convinced me that's a bad idea, unless I can find one on deep discount.

Anybody ever use a dye like RIT on this gi prior to washing?If so,did it ruin any of the patches?

Hi There

You just need to be careful not to wash at too high a temp when you die it as otherwise it can and will bleed into your patches, it is always a risk you take.

As for fabric softener I have a Keiko Raca Gi and have been using Fabric softner on it 3 times a week for 6 months and it has held up great I also give out less Gi Burns than most. It is an A5 and I often drag around 19St plus with it in class and not even a slight tear rip or hole so all in all very pleased with it.

BTW, to the TS, here is why you messed up your gi:

What does it say IN BOLD LETTERS RIGHT ON THE ON THE LABEL?

Why you would reject the directions on such a pricey gi? I don't know.

Now the whole internet thinks these gi's are faulty because you didn't follow directions.

Just sayin.

If you look at the fine print right under that, it says " Tumble dry low."

a new version??

"These are the new Lucky Gis with the new injected foam molded collars. The new collar takes almost a pound off the weight of the gi, drys faster and stays cleaner."

from the email advertisement sent to me last week, they are set to ship on friday according to the rep i ordered mine with..

same gi's as the 1st two versions(white and black) just w/ new light collars..

i just got the JR. Lucky Gi and was pissed with the packageing they just wraped it in plastic and a brown bag............harsh.

A great alternative at less than half the cost but great quality is the Sick Jiu Jitsu Black Gi...

Its got a thick rubber collar and is not too heavy but durable enough for heavy grappling. It has a great fit. The pants are reinforced at the stress points where you grab for sweeps etc.

They also look cool!

index.php

Sick Gear from SickBrands.com, Inspired by the warrior. Created for the athlete.

A guy at my gym has the Sick brand Gi in black. It looks good in person and it seems to hold up very well.

Well, that's all I have to say about it.

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Lucky Gi, maybe even two of them. If I grab one I think I am going to get the White/Green one, if I grab another it would be either the Lovato or the Garcia, haven't decided yet. Anyway I have a bunch of questions you might be able to help answer:

1) What size would be good for me in the white/green? the lovato? the garcia? I am 5'5" and usually hover between 170-180. My upper body is bigger than my lower body.. I wear a size 38 pants, XL or L shirt, 16 - 16 1/2 neck, and in a suit I am a 44 short. I have been told to go by weight because I could always shrink it in the wash if the pants are too long, but I'd rather ask someone who has owned these types of gis.

2) How do I color-fast it? If I use Retayne and color-fast it the first wash, do I only wash it on cold? am I not supposed to dry in a hot drying machine? Do I remove the rope-string for the pants and do that separately?

3) How do I shrink it? Do I wash Cold then dry hot? Or do I wash Cold/Hot and dry hot, or air dry? etc. How much will it shrink? I know these are a lot of questions, but I don't want to end up dropping $250 on a gi just to have it end up not fitting me.

4) What's the difference between the Lovato and the Garcia in terms of feel, weight, construction, etc.? I have heard the inside of the Lovato is super soft.. is the Garcia as soft?

I'm planning on ordering at least one either this Friday or next week.. any help/info is greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance!

I dont know if this has been brought up before as I only read to pg. 5... but in one of the first pics you see the tag:

93918898.jpg

It says right on the tag to AIR dry, so the Dryer is probably the cause of all the damage because light weight materials don't handle heat to well.

I recently ordered a Shoyoroll Black Star Gi, it was the last one and it just happened to be my size... and since I am just starting out I may as well look good while I get my ass handed to me haha. Anyway I was just looking for a review on it and this came up, I was also looking that this Gi but decided on the black star, I am glad I did to see that a $230+ Gi falls apart in less than a month..

Back