In hindsight, what's your assessment of the MayMac fight?

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It was supposed to go down as the fight of the century and in a way I kinda get the meaning of it: the great martial artist, multiple division champ is stepping into another sport to face the best ever and show the world how a true martial artist can face all adversity etc etc.

But what was it really?

- All the build-up to the fight with the world tour and all was utter bullshit of the lowest kind, two guys just talking about money over and over again. One of them, Floyd, was at least keeping it a little moreclassy...he actually did give McGregor a chance, although slim. The other was a genius into tricking the casuals into believing he could actually smash Mayweather.

- The fight: a completely lopsided contest where the huge technical and athletic disparity came into full display. The great martial artist, in his physical prime couldn't hold the pace of a 2y retired 40 year old boxer. Besides the cardio issue, I believe McGregor looked tentative and out of place most of the fight. Even in the rounds he was winning he was very far from being impressive

Ultimately I think it did no good to the sport of MMA or boxing and no one will be missing it as we do miss hundreds of boxing and MMA fights.

I picked Mayweather by KO in the 8th. McGregor lasted two rounds longer than I expected, but he looked just as terrible as I anticipated. Joke of a fight.

Mcgregor did ok but what happened is what most expected i would of he rather fought MMA

It was a genius marketing ploy. I enjoyed watching it too. Unfortunately, it means Mcgregor is too powerful now and we will never see him defend his belt(s)

Frivolous fight.

Conor did what I expected of him, which was to look alright in the begin and slow significantly. Floyd did what I expected of him, which was to be very defensive initially then become more aggressive and break Conor down as the fight continued. Conor actually looked pretty good while he was fresh.

Big waste of time, very profitable for the UFC in the short term but may come back to bite them now that Conor has less incentive to fight for 'only' $15m.

The same sight I had before the damn "fight:" total fucking shit-show.

Exactly what I said would happen, at least a dozen times because people wouldn't stop making threads about a pointless fight. Mcgregor would do alright for a few rounds, then get merked.... which he did VERY badly.

Mcgregor did better than expected. Unfortunately that's not saying much. Damn near flawless marketing and performance by mayweather

It gave us this, so it was worth it.

akkf9sc7ys1p2clzg.jpg

' ConAir cannot box... not against the Wiz. '
- Tze

I'm rarely interested in fights that will likely be extremely one sided.PBF even had to carry Conor for a few rounds to make it less of a joke.You can be wrong all the time in MMA but in boxing the heavy favorites rarely lose,it's much more predictable.Just a money grab for the idiots.

I paid for it and I enjoyed it.

I knew Mayweather was going to win. Everyone (who didn't know jack shit about the fight game) swore that McGregor was going to walk through Mayweather and I don't blame them because all the media talked about and showed was McGregor.

Mayweather was looking for an easy win to get to 50-0 and McGregor was looking for a huge payday. They were a match made in heaven.

People are always talking about how McGregor went 10 rounds with Mayweather and I reply, so. Mayweather walked McGregor down the entire fight which is something Mayweather never does. McGregor threw everything he had at Mayweather and didn't come close to a finish.

Dumb fight but I enjoyed watching Conor get his ass kicked

It was a fun day. Hung out and got drunk with friends.

It wasn't a fight I'd rewatch or want to see again. Nor do I think it needs to be analyzed. Mayweather is much better at boxing. He will win every time. People can say 'puncher's chance' but in that case you might as well do Matyweather v. Audience member.

It wasn't a GGG/Canelo. But I liked talking combat sports with people who wouldn't normally watch in the buildup.

Fun. But let's not do it again.

The fight went pretty much exactly how I visioned, Conor would make the first few rounds competitive but would eventually slow down and Floyd would capitalise, he lasted a round or two longer than I thought he would.

I knew he'd land some good shots but didn't expect him to win rounds but at the same time, I didn't expect Floyd to fight the way he did...walking Conor down with no regard for his power. If Floyd had fought his usual way, Conor quite possibly doesn't win any rounds.

I enjoyed it, but wish he didn't focus so much time and energy on something that doesn't mean anything. It seems like he has very little interest returning to MMA to fight legitimate contenders.

Wrong place for this post

honestly does the casual fan, or even many hardcores, think "great martial artist" when they think of Conor McGregor

that's not to say he isnt, but when someone says great martial artists in terms of MMA I think of people like Machida or Demian Maia

Conor doesnt exactly embody the spirit of a martial artist, more the spirit of Floyd Mayweather himself, money money money and fuck everyone else

Circus sideshow designed to make two guys a lot of money.

Back