In terms of grappling, Lee doesn't hold a candle to Khabib

I'm a three time NCAA Golden gloves wrestler and I can tell you that lee is far superior. Not in the clinch, but in traditional free style greco catch wrestling, he takes the cake.
Ok, so you’re either completely insane, and out of touch with reality, or you’re just a very “dry” troll.

I’m hoping for the latter

Khabib hasn't really fought any substantial wrestlers yet. His strength of schedule is pretty light. It's not his fault, its a combination of injuries and bad luck, but that is the reality of the situation.

MJ and Barboza get wrecked on a routine basis, and Khabib has some of the least impressive wins against them compared to his peers.

I would bet a substantial amount of money Kevin Lee would have a competitive fight with Khabib. People may not realize what a horrifically bad grappler MJ is.

Khabib hasn't really fought any substantial wrestlers yet. His strength of schedule is pretty light. It's not his fault, its a combination of injuries and bad luck, but that is the reality of the situation.

MJ and Barboza get wrecked on a routine basis, and Khabib has some of the least impressive wins against them compared to his peers.

I would bet a substantial amount of money Kevin Lee would have a competitive fight with Khabib. People may not realize what a horrifically bad grappler MJ is.
Yeah its pretty amazing how clueless people are

Johnson is 1-5 in his last 6 and just lost to elkins at 145. Anything less than pure domination is concerning

People also fail to understand that the UFC is a promotion, not a league. There's a reason they matched up Barboza with Khabib, and then Lee. Barboza is a guy they can use to build hype. LOL remember when Cowboy didn't know who the guy he was headlining a card against him? Yeah thats called being set up as a stepping stone. Remember when the UFC opened offices in the UK and Hardy went on a title run that had him facing zero wrestlers? Remember when Conor's path to Aldo was paved with zero wrestlers? (yes aldo pulled out and mendes replaced him on short notice)

Khabib hasn't fought anyone relevant in the title picture TODAY. Lee, Conor, and Ferguson are on a completely different level than anyone Khabib has faced in his entire career. Even Alvarez is a level Khabib hasn't faced yet. Khabibs win over RDA was 4 years ago and before he went on the title. He was 1 fight removed from being gifted a decision vs Dunham. RDA TODAY got torched by both Alvarez and Ferguson, is on a two fight losing streak at LW, and left the division. Alvarez is clearly a step up in comp for Khabib.

Last edited:
I think Khabib is better adapted to MMA. Lee still does the basic, take your back, get hooks. Khabib uses wrestling rides from the back so he can pummel you. Lee uses grappling to control you. Khabib uses grappling to put you in position to take damage.

I see Khabib winning because he's simply more violent.

How is a guy with roughly the same number of strikes landed per minute and finishes at the UFC level less violent?

Not picking Lee to win this fight if it ever happens, but the notion that his style isn't well-adapted for MMA is ridiculous. His guard passing and sub game are amazing.

IMO any comparisons between Lee and Khabib because they are both wrestlers are asinine. They have completely different styles.

Perfer to watch Lee's grappling, Khabib seems to get to a dominant position and stay there, land GnP from there, Lee moves from one dominant positions to another looking for finishes.

Rasslin is a wash if they fight, it'd be a stand-up fight.

Khabib might beat him in a pure grappling match but who cares.

Khabib has an elite array of weapons compared to Lee in teh takedown and teh clinch. It's very visible in the takedowns that both of them use. Khabib in the octocage, has been seen using not only single/double leg takedowns, but also Judo throws and sweeps which he implemented inside his grappling game. As for Lee, its all wrestling based takedowns which are his bread and butter. Not to mention Khabib is not only skilled in wrestling, but also in judo and a world sambo champ, plus he was a NAGA no gi grappling welterweight champ.

Also, I've never seen Khabib fighting on the back foot. He's always the one piling on the pressure. This certainly supports in getting the takedown. But as for Lee, we've seen how he fights when he's put on the backfoot in the fight with Raging Al. He doesn't fare good there seeing how he lost that fight.

Overall, I think Khabib would wreck Kevin if they grapple. Thoughts?

More variety in takedowns doesn't mean that you are better. GSP is (was?) better than both and he uses mostly double/singles.

Also this fight will come down to TDD. Khabib always mauls his opponents so I can't even remember the last time he had to defend takedowns against a high level wrestler like Lee. Has he ever? If Khabib charges forward like he did against Barboza for example, Lee will use reactive takedowns to counter that. Very interesting stylistic match-up.

How is a guy with roughly the same number of strikes landed per minute and finishes at the UFC level less violent?

Not picking Lee to win this fight if it ever happens, but the notion that his style isn't well-adapted for MMA is ridiculous. His guard passing and sub game are amazing.

IMO any comparisons between Lee and Khabib because they are both wrestlers are asinine. They have completely different styles.

Yeah. That was my point. Khabib's style is more violent.

LMAO wtf are you talking about? What the hell is a golden gloves wrestler? And uhhhh, catch is not traditional. What do you gain from lying on the internet?
Just because you're a keyboard warrior, doesn't mean everyone is. I've won three golden gloves NHB wrestling tournaments in the past seven years.

Khabib's wrestling is far beyond Lee's. Lee had to really work hard for some of those takedowns against Barboza while Khabib made it look easy as he made it look easy most of the time in the cage. While Lee's traditional wrestling style may seem better to some, Khabib possesses a larger variety of techniques and styles that his opponents never seem to see coming and are not able to deal with.

Kevin Lee had a greater takedown accuracy against Barboza than Khabib did.

Yeah. That was my point. Khabib's style is more violent.

Not really. Khabib is not a good finisher and most of his UFC fights have gone to decision. Also Lee did more damage to Barboza than he did.

Well yeah, but Khabib is by far the best and most versatile mma grappler. He's a beast at pretty much every art of grappling, judo, freestyle wrestling, Sambo, jiu jitsu (watch some older clips of him off his back). Lee would probably win in a strictly freestyle wrestling match though.

The thing with Lee Vs Khabib is.....

Good

-Khabib can out wrastle Lee..

Bad

- Khabib don't have the knock out power.

Lee

- Has better striking?

- Ground and Pounds Khabib

- Submits Khabib?

Be interesting but if khabib wins.... Well Kevin Lee was crap to start with..

Khabib has an elite array of weapons compared to Lee in teh takedown and teh clinch. It's very visible in the takedowns that both of them use. Khabib in the octocage, has been seen using not only single/double leg takedowns, but also Judo throws and sweeps which he implemented inside his grappling game. As for Lee, its all wrestling based takedowns which are his bread and butter. Not to mention Khabib is not only skilled in wrestling, but also in judo and a world sambo champ, plus he was a NAGA no gi grappling welterweight champ.

Also, I've never seen Khabib fighting on the back foot. He's always the one piling on the pressure. This certainly supports in getting the takedown. But as for Lee, we've seen how he fights when he's put on the backfoot in the fight with Raging Al. He doesn't fare good there seeing how he lost that fight.

Overall, I think Khabib would wreck Kevin if they grapple. Thoughts?

In my experience people only make threads like these when they're actually worried and are trying to convince themselves of their own bullshit

The thing with Lee Vs Khabib is.....

Good

-Khabib can out wrastle Lee..

Bad

- Khabib don't have the knock out power.

Lee

- Has better striking?

- Ground and Pounds Khabib

- Submits Khabib?

Be interesting but if khabib wins.... Well Kevin Lee was crap to start with..

The biggest advantage Lee has against Khabib is how hard its going to be for Khabib to take him down. If Khabib can't take him down for extended periods I can easily see Lee KOing him

Not really. Khabib is not a good finisher and most of his UFC fights have gone to decision. Also Lee did more damage to Barboza than he did.

LOL.

The intransigent nature of Shertards still astonishes me a decade after I first joined SD.

He did more damage to Barboza. Yes, and he had two more rounds in which to do it. But, I don’t recall Barboza making Khabib do the funky chicken in their fight.

WTF does finishing have to do with the topic ?

If a quarter of the people on these boards were able to see the big picture in any way. I’d be fucking shocked. But, they’re too narrow minded. Incapable of seeing more than their own shortsighted opinion.

Intransigent amoebae.

LOL.

The intransigent nature of Shertards still astonishes me a decade after I first joined SD.

He did more damage to Barboza. Yes, and he had two more rounds in which to do it. But, I don’t recall Barboza making Khabib do the funky chicken in their fight.

WTF does finishing have to do with the topic ?

If a quarter of the people on these boards were able to see the big picture in any way. I’d be fucking shocked. But, they’re too narrow minded. Incapable of seeing more than their own shortsighted opinion.

Intransigent amoebae.

Kevin Lee doing the chicken dance has absolutely nothing to do with my post. Learn to read.

Not sure... Lee is looking much improved. He might be one of the few that can grapple with Khabib. Since Saturday his stock has went up ten-fold on the internet. Let Them Wrestle !!!

Back