Increasing weight for power

ssj4goku1992

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Ok so, as we all know, the reason why martial arts striking techniques increase your power compared to an average untrained guy's strikes is because the technique increases the mass incorporated into that strike.

As we all know, F=m *a (or E= m*v^2/2) some use the first, some the last, but still we see that some way or another the force of your strike will always depend on your speed (acceleration) and of the mass involved in that strike. Untrained guys punch with just their arms, trained guys throw their whole bodyweight into the punch via technique.

So, by this logic, let's assume that i have a good enough technique. If i gain 50 pounds of fat, even though i just turned into a fatso, by the equations written before, it means that my punches/kicks and etc will be more powerful right? Even if those 50 pounds were just fat and not muscle, if my weight has increased, than the force in my strikes has increased as well correct? Because my technique remained the same even if i gained 50 pounds of fat?

So, what do you say guys? Will we increase our punching and striking power by gaining mass? Even if all that mass is fat? Of course we assume that we have awesome technique, and nothing technical changes. The only changes are in our fluctuating weight.

Also, is there a difference in gaining 50 pounds of fat vs 50 pounds of muscle? By the logic of the equations it should not make a difference right? We assume that our technique stays the same... So it doesn't matter if the gains are muscle or fat? That would go into a contradiction with everything that we the general population assume right?

As you already noted, speed is an element of that equation. If you add weight but it comes with a sacrifice of speed then you might not gain any power. And speed, in this sense, is independent of technique.

I don't feel like looking up the equations but it's harder to get a heavy object moving at a specific speed than to get a lighter object up to that same speed. So adding weight might compromise power if you can't get the heavier body moving as fast as the lighter body or, at least, heavy enough to offset the drop in speed.

And muscle makes a difference versus fat depending on the type of muscle. Muscle can aid in the acceleration and speed of the technique by creating faster, more powerful, contractions throughout the kinetic chain. Fat doesn't, it only adds weight to the final technique.

I think the fact that the muscle gains will also aid your acceleration in the technique via more powerful contractions and the fat gains will not is quite a valid point. This should be a good difference in those 50 pounds gained and their effect on the final punch.

But overall, as we know, the speed doesn't decrease that much with the weight increase. It's the reason why fighters from higher weight classes have more powerful strikes than fighters from lower weight classes.
So, if those 50 pounds of let's say fat decrease your speed by a little but they far increase your mass, wouldn't the net result be an overall increase in power?

I think the fact that the muscle gains will also aid your acceleration in the technique via more powerful contractions and the fat gains will not is quite a valid point. This should be a good difference in those 50 pounds gained and their effect on the final punch.

But overall, as we know, the speed doesn't decrease that much with the weight increase. It's the reason why fighters from higher weight classes have more powerful strikes than fighters from lower weight classes.
So, if those 50 pounds of let's say fat decrease your speed by a little but they far increase your mass, wouldn't the net result be an overall increase in power?

Like noted, boils down to how much the speed drops. It's not an absolute yes/no question.

Like noted, boils down to how much the speed drops. It's not an absolute yes/no question.
What do you think? As a personal opinion? If you would gain 50 pounds of muscle what would you think that would happen with the power in your strikes? What about 25 of muscle 25 of fat? And the last version what do you think that would happen with your striking power if you would gain 50 pounds of fat?

What do you think? As a personal opinion? If you would gain 50 pounds of muscle what would you think that would happen with the power in your strikes? What about 25 of muscle 25 of fat? And the last version what do you think that would happen with your striking power if you would gain 50 pounds of fat?

My personal opinion is that it depends. Adding weight affects every person differently. It's one of those things where insisting on a fixed answer is probably the worst decision you can make.

What if you decide you will get more power, add the weight and you're not capable of overcoming it and you end up with less power. It happens in combat sports all of the time. A heavy puncher in a lower weight class moves up in weight and has less power for a variety of reasons.

Nope, my personal opinion is that there is no definitive answer.

Only Americans are so obsessed with size and strength. Thais for example are super slim but some of the rippest fighters on Earth. Great speed and explosive shots.

Who do you rather be? Ripped thais? Or big bulky and buff like Yoel Romero? Bigger also means gas faster. I think Jon Jones has it down pretty good. We saw how he can bulk up to a pretty good size but when it comes to fighting, he would slim back down even against big wrestlers like DC.

I also prefer to be slimmer and more ripped than big and buff. I prefer speed over power anyday. I can hit you but you can't hit me.

To each their own.

My personal opinion is that it depends. Adding weight affects every person differently. It's one of those things where insisting on a fixed answer is probably the worst decision you can make.

What if you decide you will get more power, add the weight and you're not capable of overcoming it and you end up with less power. It happens in combat sports all of the time. A heavy puncher in a lower weight class moves up in weight and has less power for a variety of reasons.

Nope, my personal opinion is that there is no definitive answer.
From what i know the heavy puncher in the lower weight class has less power in the higher weight class ONLY COMPARED to the guys in that higher weight class. Not to his previous lower weight class self. Otherwise he would not try to gain weight in the first place. He would try competing in a higher weight class with his previous lower weight...

Only Americans are so obsessed with size and strength. Thais for example are super slim but some of the rippest fighters on Earth. Great speed and explosive shots.

Who do you rather be? Ripped thais? Or big bulky and buff like Yoel Romero? Bigger also means gas faster. I think Jon Jones has it down pretty good. We saw how he can bulk up to a pretty good size but when it comes to fighting, he would slim back down even against big wrestlers like DC.

I also prefer to be slimmer and more ripped than big and buff. I prefer speed over power anyday. I can hit you but you can't hit me.

To each their own.
Do you even train? It's like what you wrote is so out of context and out of line with what i asked that you don't even train, you just write randomly on an mma forum...

Not always, Trunks pissed hot on his SSJ2 transformation and Cell beat him like it was nothing despite having no gainz and 3 months pregnant with the cell jr's.

Even canlet Vegeta knew that and didn't go down the Z-USADA path

Ok so, as we all know, the reason why martial arts striking techniques increase your power compared to an average untrained guy's strikes is because the technique increases the mass incorporated into that strike.

As we all know, F=m *a (or E= m*v^2/2) some use the first, some the last, but still we see that some way or another the force of your strike will always depend on your speed (acceleration) and of the mass involved in that strike. Untrained guys punch with just their arms, trained guys throw their whole bodyweight into the punch via technique.

So, by this logic, let's assume that i have a good enough technique. If i gain 50 pounds of fat, even though i just turned into a fatso, by the equations written before, it means that my punches/kicks and etc will be more powerful right? Even if those 50 pounds were just fat and not muscle, if my weight has increased, than the force in my strikes has increased as well correct? Because my technique remained the same even if i gained 50 pounds of fat?

So, what do you say guys? Will we increase our punching and striking power by gaining mass? Even if all that mass is fat? Of course we assume that we have awesome technique, and nothing technical changes. The only changes are in our fluctuating weight.

You will dramatically improve power as long the weight doesn't slow you down conciderably. And there is no reason why it should

You will dramatically improve power as long the weight doesn't slow you down conciderably. And there is no reason why it should
So basically it all boils down to how much does that weight slow you down? Probably if it's just fat, it will slow you down too much and offset all the mass in the punch or strike? If it's 50/50 fat muscle it will not slow you down that much and your striking power will improve tremendously? And if it's 100% muscle it will be basically no speed loss and even more striking power?

Not always, Trunks pissed hot on his SSJ2 transformation and Cell beat him like it was nothing despite having no gainz and 3 months pregnant with the cell jr's.

Even canlet Vegeta knew that and didn't go down the Z-USADA path
But SSJ3 Goku with all dem gainz stomps everybody :p

So basically it all boils down to how much does that weight slow you down?

It can slow you down quite a bit and you still strike harder if you go from middleweight to heayweight. The more you weigh, the more you can get away with slowness. The mass travelling is so much more greater that it doesn't matter you lost speed. As long as it's still good technique you will strike harder.

It can slow you down quite a bit and you still strike harder if you go from middleweight to heayweight. The more you weigh, the more you can get away with slowness. The mass travelling is so much more greater that it doesn't matter you lost speed. As long as it's still good technique you will strike harder.
So basically, coming back to the original question in the thread. Considering that your technique is the same, even fattening yourself 50 pounds with no muscle gain will lead to a significant improvement in striking power? Then why aren't people trying to do this when they are aiming to increase their power? ( Of course, not the ones who compete professionaly where they try to have as much an advantage over the others ). Im talking for street self defence only.

So basically, coming back to the original question in the thread. Considering that your technique is the same, even fattening yourself 50 pounds with no muscle gain will lead to a significant improvement in striking power? Then why aren't people trying to do this when they are aiming to increase their power? ( Of course, not the ones who compete professionaly where they try to have as much an advantage over the others ). Im talking for street self defence only.

Yes, mass is mass no matter if it's fat or muscles. Muscles makes you able to withstand bodyshots much better. It's a protective filter on your body.

put the pie down fatso, thats cheating, thats like the laziest way to increase power ever xD sofa athlete

But SSJ3 Goku with all dem gainz stomps everybody :p
Didn't gain size though, just his hair.

Gohan's the biggest can though. Z-fighter's marketing made him seem like the next GOAT, then he got exposed as a one trick pony.

Back