Inertia's Training Log

InertiaTraining

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hard training and lazy eating. That about sums up where I'm currently at. One of my main goals is to start dieting properly this year, hitting a minimum amount of calories and protein every day. I haven't weighed myself in weeks but I'm probably hovering just south of 160lbs (71-72kg) at 6' 2

Yeah, I'm a skinny sum'bitch.

Since I'm part of the dark knight competition, 3 of my main focuses for the next few months will be my push press, my clean and weighted chin ups. But aside from that I'd like to add some significant weight to my back squats and snatches.

Here's yesterday's work out, lower body hypertrophy:
Snatch complexes (full snatch, 2x hang snatches, overhead squat)
45kg
50kg
55kg

I was planning to do a lot more sets but I haven't snatched since before Christmas and I felt slow as hell.

Back squats
3x3 speed sets with 62.5kg
80kgx10
85kgx10
90kgx10
80kgx10

Nothing special here, mid December I hit 3x10 with 90 but since I hadn't done 10 rep sets since then, I decided to ease into it.

SLDLs
3x10 with 90kg

Hip thrusts
2x10 with 80kg

An ok start to 2014 I guess.

Last edited:
Long day at the indoor facility, generally good though.

Session 1

Powercleans -
85x3x2

Earlier than I'm used to training so mentally I wasn't all there. But watching videos back the weight was flying up, looked like it was going up to my chin then falling down onto my shoulders rather than receiving the bar smoothly onto them, and I wasn't dipping under. Should go up next time I do these.

Sprints -
Some 20s

I didn't count, tried my new spikes, got beaten pretty easily by my friend who is a speedy mofo and he was barely trying, kept getting light headed, all in all not my best sprint session. Need to work out my food better next week.

Session 2, couple of hours later.

Pause squats -
115x3x2

Decent, but not great, last set was slow by my standards too. More to do with fatigue and not being conditioned for double sessions more than anything I think.

SLDLs -
120x5
130x3x5

I was expecting to have to go lighter after the pause squats, but 120 was flying up so I decided to go a bit harder.

Lying hamstring curl -
65x4x5

Easy, that's the max weight so I should probably switch to single leg next time.

Then some foam rolling, and contrast baths to finish.

Always good to see another Englishmun on sherdog.

Your gym looks pretty good, decent amount of bumpers, I am guessing your not based in London?

Thanks. I use videos, need a partner to do it though, stood on the finish line so it can follow you across. Slow the video down to 10% then start a stopwatch as soon as your hand leaves the ground (if using a 3/4 point start) and stop when your chest crosses the line. The time is just what the stopwatch says divided by 10. Obviously it takes out reaction time but it's probably the most accurate way to measure your times without much better equipment.

Yesterday's session

Throws - 4kg
Didn't measure any of them, some really sucked, some were better after I got some pointers from my friend.

Sprints -
4x20m with 10kg sled, 4x20m in between without sled. Nothing great, pretty much a technical session, didn't run too hard but I do think I improved technique a bit.

Today

Front squat -
110x3 (PB)
100x5

It's only a PB because I never front squat and I don't enjoy them. Curse these weak quads, but it's something I definitely need to work on. Now that my SLDL is coming back up I think the box squats can be subbed out something I need a bit more. Form was actually pretty good, very upright but just felt so unfamiliar.

Press -
55x6x2

SLDL -
125x3x5

These were good.

Chin ups

Weak

Barbell holds

All for about 20 secs

Vids of my power cleans from the other day, you can tell it was early for me because I don't have any desire to get under the bar, no breaking at the hips at all.

Had a quick little session in the work gym yesterday, easy power cleans again before going in the sauna.

Thank you my friend, glad to be here.

Yeah, my gym is one of the best for serious lifting anywhere nearby. We have enough 10 plates and a couple of pairs of 15s. Deadlifting heavy can be awkward though, since we're only allowed to use bumpers on the platform and we only have one very thick pair of 20s, so if you're strong you'll run out of space on the bar...

You're correct though. My gym is in Luton.

Monday week 3

Powercleans
80x3x2

Same weight as last week but a massive improvement. In fact, these may have been the fastest power cleans I've ever done. Getting back on track after this injury has been a process but I really feel I'm there now. For once I'm actually going to keep power cleans at 80-85% while I strength train and no higher, always pushing for maxes was a mistake before. Building up the squat is priority right now and cleans will focus on speed without being too taxing.

Sprints
5x20m w/sled, 5x20m in between without.

The bread and butter for sprints right now, again, no point focusing on top end speed and longer distances if I'm squatting heavy, it's too much at once. Sleds slow me down enough to think about technique more and still keep an ok drive/lean. The runs in between felt quick even while holding back a little (in fact I've strained my groin ever so slightly).

I feel great but will still take my deload next week.

These are some pretty good power cleans man. Good stuff in here.

Decent work out today.

Upper body hypertrohpy:
Speed overhead press
3x3 with 30kg
3x3 with 32.5kg

Strict overhead press
40x10
50x8
50x7
47.5x6 (with an extra 2 reps as a push press)

Was hoping for 3 sets of 50, but it wasn't happening today.

Weighted chin ups
10x2
15x2
20x1
27.5x1
35x1

[YT]nYTXd-vCJbA[/YT]

DB bench press
30x10 (PR, happy with this)
30x8 (last rep used some hip drive)
30x8 (last 2 reps with hip drive)

It seems like the break over Christmas didn't make me lose any strength, but lowered my work capacity a little.

Cable machine rows
4x10, couldn't even tell you the weight, I don't look at the numbers

One arm cable rows
4x8

All in all, decent session, quite happy with my chin up max too.

Had to lift in a commercial gym today, rack was ok though so it was fine.

Squat -
122.5x6 (PB)

First 2 flew up, really good speed. The couple of people in the weight area were staring at me when I finished, one told me I had strong legs and the other said he can only do that for one. Made me chuckle, I forgot how low people's standards are.

Press -
57.5x3

Eh

SLDL -
Failed after 1 rep of 125 due to grip, didn't use chalk because of the gym and my hands were sweaty, BUT it still exposes a pretty glaring weakness that I need to work on.

Didn't have time for core work or any other extras, but I'm happy with the squats.

Thanks man, just trying to keep plodding forward.

Today's session

Squats -
132.5x4

First rep was good, based on that I feel I should have definitely gotten the 5th, but I went for it, stalled above parallel for about a second and then came back down. Annoyed, I haven't been stuck at a weight for 2 weeks before. Friend/coach says I should give it another week though.

SLDL -
130x3x5

Felt good

Press -
50x8
50x6
50x4

Chin ups -

Barbell core holds -
Went up to 50kg for a 15 sec hold, felt good.

Lower Power/Strength:

Cleans -
50x3
60x3
70x3
75x2
70x3

It wasn't that 75 was too heavy, but I just didn't feel comfortable cleaning today, yesterday's workout made my rack position feel extremely tight.

I did a tiny bit of snatching too but that also didn't feel great and it's not worth noting.

Back Squats
60x3
100x2
105x5
105x5
105x5
105x5
92.5x10 (PR)

Over christmas I trained at another gym where I did 4 sets of 105x5 and I am completely convinced that it was heavier at my gym. But I'm happy with my back off set.

SLDLs
100x5
105x5
110x5 (PR)
110x5

These actually felt pretty easy, I think I still need to be pushing myself a tad harder.

Overhead sit ups
30x5
40x5
45x5
50x5
40x10

Oly lifts are still feeling crap but the rest was ok considering. Upper power tomorrow, would like to push press 65x4 for at least one set.

Yesterday's session, at commercial gym again.

Powercleans -
80x3x2

Had to control the weight down but it wasn't a big deal, I'll just keep it light when I'm here. Some chalk would have been very helpful though. These went ok, not as fast as monday.

Hamstring curls -
80x10
90x10
105x6

Finally get to use one of these.

Bike tempos

Yesterday

Powercleans -
85x2
80x2x2

Wanted to move up to 87 today but it wasn't to be, felt awkward, like I suddenly forgot how to power clean smoothly, and heavy, so I scaled back. After this just a 30 min LISS session on the spin bike per Sano's recommendation, and then stretching and mobility work.

Today, travelled to the indoor facility with friends.

Session 1
Power cleans -
Worked up to a single of 95, feeling better today, this was easy.

Sprints -
4x20m
1x30m

I'm hoping that my 30 was a PB, will edit my post with the time when I get it.

Session 2
Power clean -
100x1

Wasn't as sharp as I wanted but still fairly easy, I was rushing my second pull, hitting too early. I wanted to do overhead shot throws instead but some kids took over the throwing area.

Pause squats -
100x2
105x2
107x2

Not all that impressed with these, adjusting to double sessions is taking a while, maybe something to do with being faster on sprints too.

SLDL -
130x3x5

Hamstring curls -
65x10
65x9
65x8

Also had a proper massage afterwards, my first sports massage, not the most pleasant experience but I'm sure it was worth it.

Not happy at all with my workout today. Usually if I don't hit the numbers I'd like to I get a bit angry/frustrated, today I just feel disappointed because I didn't even feel able to do the exercises, let alone hit numbers.

Push pressing and cleans give me joint pain in my shoulders. Just those two. Not strict pressing, not snatching, not front squats. Nada. And I can't figure out what it is, I'm going to try and up my strength on all my pulling movements and add more frequent facepulls/external rotations on the cable machines to see if those help out at all.

I'm going to ask my coach (who is also a physio) about it too to see if he can help. I really want to keep doing these movements since I know how beneficial they are, on the other hand I also don't want to get injured doing them.

Here's my workout from today:

Push press -
55x5

I knew from my warm up sets that I was getting pain and after my first working set I felt so flared up in my shoulders that I was sure I would end up damaging something if I continued.

Towel pull ups -
7.5kgx5
7.5kgx5
6.25kgx4

Wanted to go for 4 sets of these, but for the first time ever the pain started bothering me on a pulling movement, that's never happened before, quite worrying. I gave up on the last rep.

Pendlay rows
60x5
70x5
65x5
65x5

Fortunately felt fine on these.

Then I just did some facepulls and external rotations. I'm not going to do any oly lifts on monday for my lower hypertrophy workout, so my shoulders should get a nice rest from now until next wednesday. Just going to make sure my diet is on point and keep taking my fish oil and hope things return to normal.

Today

Front squat -
112x3, definitely a max, wouldn't have got another. Meh.

Pause back squat -
112x3, thought this would be manageable but I guess doing a max triple before it didn't help. Trying to learn how to switch off the legs as much as possible at the bottom, sitting down as low as I can go so I can switch on as fast as possible for the concentric. That was fine but by the third rep it was too much of a grind, these need to be more explosive.

Press -
57.5x3x2

SLDL -
125x3x5

These felt easier than the 122 last week. I'm probably going to make Friday's more of a volume day for squat and SLDL, and keep Tuesday as an intensity day. Friday will do 3x5 with 95% of Tuesday's 1x5. I'm gonna keep press as low volume as possible and see what i can do strength wise, as I really don't want my upper body to grow at all.

Barbell holds -
35kg 20 secs
37kg 20 secs
37kg 25 secs

Deloading next week, Monday will be a session as normal but the rest I'll scale back.

Yesterday in commercial gym

Power cleans -
85x3x2

These were decent, bar speed felt good but I think I got a little lazy on the catch on a couple and had muscle the bar up onto my debts more, sloppy, but my technique does change a little when I use straps here.

15 mins on the stat bike and then sauna.

Today

Squat -
132x6 PB

I've realised that my feelings about this day hinge entirely on my squats, accessories are basically irrelevant, if squats go well I consider it a good workout and vice versa. So today was good, been at 132 for 3 weeks in a row now and finally went above the reps I wanted before moving on.

RDL -
145x5
140x2x5

145 was manageable but I haven't done these in a bit, so I went down just to really emphasise neutral spine.

Press -
52x7
52x6

Barbell holds -
Up to 45 for a 20 sec hold.

Super setted w/ chin ups

Some time on the spin bike, stretching and done.

We have all had workouts like this and you did the smart thing not pushing it. Hopefully everything will be good next week. Don't get too down.

Monday week 4, will be going easy (and maybe have to miss a session or two because of other unwanted commitments) aside from today.

Powercleans -
82.5x3x2

These were ok, but I might go back down to 80 and increase the volume a tad, I didn't feel these were fast enough. Second set was ok though, third set was quick too but my last rep was technically awful, rushed it, ripped it way too soon and ended up hitting off the lowest part of my quad, only just cleared the knees. I need to be more patient, especially with my long arms, I'm debating whether or not to use a wider grip, or intentionally bend my arms to give myself a longer pull. Power cleans are typically mid thigh for me.

Sprints -
6x20m w/10kg sled, 6x20m normal sprints in between.

Speed endurance is improving, very little drop off in these sprints. Adding volume is now the best thing to do as the weather worsens, I doubt I'll be hitting PBs from now on. Sprints from today were all around 3.19 without the sled which is ok. Changed my technique and it feels much better, allowing me to extend much more which should allow for more power as I improve. And all I had to do was relax my arms some more on the back swing, rather than keeping them tight at 90 degrees, it was rushing my stride. Legs mimic the arms after all, a longer extension through the arm gives me a much better extension through the hip and knee. I'm writing all this so I remember to keep doing it.

Bit behind on logging.

Monday

Powercleans -
80x2x2, meh

Then sauna

Tuesday, indoor track day

Session 1

Powercleans -
80x2
90x1

Nice and easy warm up

Sprints -
20mx2
30mx1

These felt really good, I felt fast as ever and I was hoping for a PB. Lots of fatigue from these which is why I stopped after 3 sprints, so another reason why I assume I was fast...unfortunately these were literally the worst times I've ever had. 3.28 on the 20m and 4.44 on the 30m. I think the main reason is a technical change I made, forcing myself to being my arms as far back as possible on the back swing because I thought it would help me reach a great extension through the legs too. This was correct, but it left my other leg out in front for too long and as I can see from the vids, because it wasn't coming straight back down my foot strayed forward, landing far in front of my hips on every step. This caused me to kill my speed on every step and even though I'm sure I was fast and powerful this day, I was slowing myself down.

I still think I need to loosen my arms up a bit as they are often tight and locked in even after my first step, but this was overkill.

Session 2

Standing long jump -
Did a 2.89m, which is a PB. I still think I can do better in these, and I won't be happy till I hit 3m, but I'll focus on them somewhere down the line, I just wanted to test.

Pause squats -
100x2
110x2
115x2

These were reasonably fast even though I felt exhausted.

SLDLs -
135x3x5

Single leg hamstring curls -
35x3x5, right leg (previous injury) is significantly weaker.

Pushed myself quite hard today if I may say so. Definitely feeling the effects.

I went back on my word and started with some snatch complexes, still not feeling on point with snatches, so I think I'll just do some really light technique work on Thursday rather than push it.

Back squats -
3x3 speed squats with 60kg
95x10 (PR)
95x10
92.5x8
80x8

My aim was to do sets of 92.5 today, but I decided to be a gentleman and let the young girl who wanted the 1.25s have them, so I went straight to 95. That felt difficult. On the second set I almost failed the 8th rep, lost tightness at the bottom and had to double bounce to get out of the hole, happy that I still managed to crank out 2 more. I was pretty done after that though, hence the decline.

SLDLs -
95x10 (PR)
95x10

Those two alone were enough of a workout for me. Did some more external rotations and facepulls to try and keep my shoulders happy and called it a day.

Friday, didn't get to train this week, in fact I'm happy I got to to today.

Overhead shots - 4kg shot at 90% effort, best throw was 16.10m, pb is 16.61m so not too bad. I did about 20 throws, increasing the volume a little.

Squat -
90x5

Press -
45x5

SLDL
100x5

Das it mane

Friday's workout

Squats -
135x4

Actually quite happy with this and I really had to work for it. I'd have never expected 4 based on my first 2, but a decent result.

RDLs -
145x6

I felt done after squats though.

Strict press -
55x3
50x7

Squat goes up, press goes down.

Ab roll outs and some chin ups, 20 mins LISS and some rolling.

Ticked the boxes today, but I'm happy with it.

SOHP -
3X3 speed reps with 30kg
40x10
40x10
40x10

I was extremely aware of how my shoulders were feeling today, no pain fortunately, a tiny bit of discomfort here and there. I just focused on speed today with a weight I knew I could handle. Felt good, only really slowed down on the last couple of reps for each set.

Chin ups
5kgx8
5kgx8

Like I said in the other thread, my strength for reps is so much lower than my strength for 1-3. But that's fine.

DB bench press
30x10
30x10
30x9

Better than last week.

Cable rows
whateverx10
w/ex10
w/ex10
w/ex10

On the last two sets I decided to try using straps, not because I couldn't hold the weight, but I always feel like I'm quite bicep dominant, so I wanted to try using my hands as hooks and focus on contracting my lats.

Pendlay rows
40x10
50x10
50x10

These felt ok for higher reps actually

Facepulls
4 sets of 10, don't know the weight

External rotations
Same deal

A lot more focus on pulling from now on, for push exercises I'm focusing on overhead exercises (OHP and push press) and the rest is assistance. I want to explore my shoulder problem a bit and see if I can fix it by myself.

Had a very promising session today.

Powercleans -
80x3x2

82 was still fast last week but I do think I moved on too quick, keeping my power cleans in check, all about speed and warming up for sprints right now.

Sprints -
I forget the exact number, 5/6 20m sled sprints with 5/6 normal in between as per usual. Today felt great though, I'm finally starting to genuinely feel faster. My 20m pb is 3.14 back in march as I think I've mentioned before, but I haven't got close to it since. It was slightly wind assisted and racing against a friend (which always makes me run a bit faster).

My very last run today was 3.16, it was the only one I got to record and I do think my first or second was faster. I'm genuinely really happy with this and its perked me up.

[YT]OSEhwlQNSew[/YT]

Lower Power went well

Squats -
40x5
60x3
90x3
110x2
120x2 (PR)
122.5x1 (PR)

Always feels great to increase your squat. I think 120kg for a double is more impressive than the single, they both felt hard but watching the videos back, they didn't look too slow. I think if I experimented less I could have done 125x1, but I'm more than happy with the results today.

Cleans -
60x3
70x3
70x3
70x3

Nothing outstanding, I was trying to work on slowing my first pull down but I think I exaggerated it too much and lost power in the long run. I'm just gonna keep ripping my cleans off the floor from now on, I don't care enough to be 100% olympic medalist level, I just want to put some numbers up.

Did some very light snatch work too, right back to basics, felt ok.

SLDLs
110x5
110x5
110x5
112.5x5

Starting to enjoy these some more, and feeling pretty strong and fast on the concentric.

Crunches with a 25kg plate overhead, 4 sets of 10.

Happy with this workout, strength is consistently going up on big lifts.

Keeping up momentum with potentially the best squats of my life today.

Tuesday week 1, weighed myself at 72.7kg this morning, god damn it.

Squats -
125x5, before I stopped training my 5 rep PB was 130x5, comparing the two videos though, today's squats were MUCH deeper and faster. I am considering them a PB due to that.

[YT]UaFZdDslM1A[/YT]

Press -
57x3
57x3

Thought if I recomposed I'd at least get 4, guess now. Screw strict press 4 lyfe.

SLDL -
130x5
130x5
130x5

Pretty good stuff.

Ab roll outs
3x10 with a good pause at the bottom of each rep.

Some hurdle drills to stretch a little bit. I think I need a warm shower, these last couple of days my CNS has been ridiculously switched on. It may be part of the reason I didn't sleep well last night. I definitely NEED to relax or I'll fry.

You don't want to "rip" the bar off the floor but you also don't want to intentionally pull slow, in my opinion. Control off the floor is a better way to think about it.

Your pull and timing should be the same from 50 to 200.

Pretty easy day, but being in a commercial gym makes that easy to stick to as well.

Powercleans -
80x5x2

Used straps for the last couple of sets because my hands were getting sweaty and I couldn't use chalk, and I really don't want to run the risk of losing the bar and dropping it here. Have to control every rep.

Hamstring curls -
100x8
110x10
110x10

10 mins on the bike and some stretching.

Interesting, I'll work some more on finding that controlled middle ground then. I was definitely pulling too slow on purpose, thanks.

Friday's session

Squat -
117x3x5

Wish I'd recorded the first set, felt pretty quick. This is the highest volume I've done for squatting in a long time, the third set deteriorated a little. Been eating more the last few days, going to craft some real legs this winter.

Strict press -
55x5

Last rep was literally the slowest press of my life. In the past I'd have normally given up but I pushed through. I'm actually not sure what to do with my press. I want to be all about legs for a while, my upper body has enough size for me to be happy right now. I might just maintain with doubles.

SLDL -
130x3x5

A little fatigued from squats so I didn't go up today.

Seated single leg calf raises, started doing these super slow both up and down. Added some weight now too, 50kg each leg so my weaker side is starting to come up a bit.

Upper Power

Push Press -
60x3
70x1
77.5x1 (PR)
82.5xfail
82.5x1 (PR)

[YT]WGmzU40hhlM[/YT]

I did a ton of warming up and mobility work to prepare for this, and my shoulders felt more or less fine, big PRs for me here.

Towel Pull Ups -
5kgx5
5kgx5
5kgx5

Bench -
70x5
70x5
70x5

Going for speed on these reps and I felt like it worked well, the first 3 of each set felt extremely quick.

Pendlay Rows
70x5
70x5
70x5

BB Rows
60x10

Then various facepulls and external rotations again, just to keep myself in check.

Really happy with this session, that makes 3/4 days this week that I hit big PRs in.

Monday week 2 (yesterday)

Power cleans -
80x2
82x2x2

I think 80 is as fast as it's going to get right now, time to move up a tad.

Sprints -
Sled and regular sprints weren't as well organised today, ran with another guy for a couple of runs to test myself. Got beat pretty handily, BUT he is a bit of a false starter, the times aren't too different though he is still faster.

Today

Squat -
127x5 PB

Press -
55x4x2

SLDL -
132x3x5

Ab roll outs -
3x10 with solid pause at the bottom

Single leg seated calf raises -
55kg 3 sets each side

[YT]yWNY5MTPKKs[/YT]

Lower Hypertrophy is consistently proving to be my hardest day by far. I feel destroyed right now, I'm dreading going to work soon.

Squats
6x3 speed reps with 60kg
90x3 (felt heavy, almost made me chicken out of going heavier on working sets, but I told myself to suck it up)
95x10
95x10
95x10

Good volume PR here, happy with it but it took a LOT out of me. I could have happily went home and felt like I'd done enough after this, I was still able to make decent numbers on my next lifts but I felt exhausted.

SLDLs -
95x10
100x10 (PR)
100X10

Still steadily climbing on these, good stuff.

Hip Thrusts -
90kgx8
90kgx8
90kgx12

None of these felt particularly hard but I was really having trouble staying focused and motivated at this point, I was just slugging it out.

Crunches with a 25kg plate overhead
4x10

Just wanted to get some core work in again, nothing impressive.

I'm happy with this session, but I'm considering a deload after this week, depends how I feel on my next few sessions, I may need a break (and a massage).

Commercial gym thursday

Powercleans -
80x2x2
82x3x2

I get a slight ego in this gym, but not in the way most people do. I don't walk around acting like I'm the sh*t. I actually try do the opposite, I generally try to wear baggy clothes so I look really skinny, I keep myself to myself. Then I do fast power cleans with most people's deadlifts and keep a neutral face the whole time...it's fun.

Hamstring curls -
110x5
120x5
125x5
110x5

Easy 10 minutes on the stat back, some foam rolling and stretching and that was me done.

Upper Hypertrophy, I'm not sure what it is about this session, I push myself on every set, but I never really walk away feeling like I've done that much. It's not at all like Lower Hypertrophy.

SOHP -
6X3 speed reps with 30kg
40x5
50x5
50x5
50x5
50x5
50x5

I felt like mixing things up and doing some mid range reps with more sets. Probably should have pushed myself heavier on at least one of these sets, but I'm happy.

Chin ups -
5kgx8
5kgx7
5kgx7

Meh

DB bench press -
32.5kgx8
32.5kgx8
32.5kgx8

Decent weight increase here, I did a few cheat reps towards the end of the sets, I don't remember how many, but it's cool.

Cable rows -
4x10, don't know the weight. Used the straps again today to try and focus less on moving more weight/gripping it hard, and just letting my lats contract.

Underhand BB rows -
52.5x10
52.5x10
52.5x10
52.5x10

Facepulls

Did a lot of extra foam rolling and myofascial release with my trusty tennis ball today. Glutes/hams/quads were still hurting from Monday.

Today was meh

Squats -
120x5
115x2x5

120 should be basically bang on 85% but seems that 127 pb this week took it out of me. 120 felt like a 5rm, speed wasn't that great even on the 115s. Lots of food this weekend, a slightly easier sprint session on Monday should set me up for a decent squat on tuesday. After that I'll take it easy for the rest of the week.

Press -
57x3x2

Fairly hard

Powercleans -
60x3x2
80x1

Wanted to do some technical work for once.

SLDL -
117x2x5
120x5

These felt really good to do at last. These are actually from the floor unlike the ones I've been doing from the rack recently (closer to RDLs but I keep my knees almost locked out, so it's sort of a hybrid) and I can tell I really need these back in my program.

Barbell holds -
30x10 secs
35x10 secs
37.5x3x15 secs

(Yesterday's) Lower Power session

Cleans -
40x1
50x1
60x1
70x1
80x1
90x-

Just wasn't in that zone, watching the video back of me attempting 90 just looks stupid, the bar was plenty high enough, I just didn't seem to want to get under it.

Deadlifts -
130x2
130x2
130x2
130x2
135x2

I may have done another set of 130, I don't remember too well. I just wanted to stick to low reps, get a little bit of speed and up the sets. I feel like it went well, used hook grip and had zero issues with holding the bar.

Clean Pulls -
90x3
100x3
100x3
100x3
105x3

Never really done these before, felt easy enough, I just need a tad more explosion after the second pull. It might take me a while to get used to cutting the movement short.

Overhead crunches -
30x10
32.5x10
32.5x10
32.5x10

Weighted calf raises and some external rotations (shoulder) to finish up.

Yesterday, monday week 3

Powercleans -
82.5x3x2

Not my fastest but hey.

Sprints -
Sleds and regular sprints, 3x10m, 3x20m

Wanted to lower the stress a little bit due to friday and hopefully be good for my squat workout.

Single leg calf work with 55kg

Today

Squats -
130x4

I actually felt like crap today, had some stuff on my mind and my body didn't feel strong. I managed to muster some hype for this set and surprised myself, 4 reps is pretty decent. I think I need to take the rest of the week pretty easy. I'd rather keep momentum on these heavy 5s, so my deload starts from now and I'll resume hard training either monday or tuesday. 130x6 is the goal for next week! (That would be a true pb, even though my current squats are deeper and better quality than my old 130x5).

Press -
52x3x2, didn't care for these today.

RDL -
135x3x5

Barbell holds -
Up to 37.5 for a hold of 20 secs

Upper Power today, despite actually having a good session I couldn't shake the feeling of 'meh' throughout.

Push Press -
70x4 (PR)
70x4
70x4
70x2
70x3

I should be happier with these, being that 70 was my 1RM about a month ago.

Weighted towel pull ups -
5kgx5
7.5kgx4
5kgx5

Pause Bench -
70x4
72.5x4
77.5x4
75x5

I've never tried pause benching before so essentially these were all PRs.

Pendlay Rows
70x5
80x5
80x5
80x5
80x5

Felt pretty strong on these today.

BB rows -
55x8
55x8

Snatch Grip High Pulls -
65x3
65x3
65x5

I also did some light power snatching. I was just killing time at this point, probably harmed myself more than I helped, but I hate sitting in traffic and sometimes I would rather just be at the gym longer.

Did a ton of foam rolling and tennis balling afterwards too. Forgot to do my god damn facepulls though.

Tuesday had me feeling a little burnt out, so rather than wait for my deload week I decided to just take it easy and get back on it from next week.

I didn't train yesterday, so today's session:

Powercleans -
82.5x3x2

Pause squats -
110x3x2

Strict press -
50x5

SLDL -
110x3x5

Ab roll outs -
3x8, no focus on pausing really, but some were.

Kept things pretty easy, nothing above 80%, now two more days 'off' (though work will rob me of some sleep which sucks). Wish I'd recorded the pause squats, was told they were pretty fast. The gym was busy so I was put off from recording.

Started a new routine today, more oly/lower body focused. I'm not really interested in upper body volume work right now.

Back Squat -
90x3
110x2
117.5x1
125x1 (PR)
110x6 (PR)

Almost reconsidered going for that 125, 117.5 went up pretty slow. But I still got it and I'm happy. I'd have liked at least 1 more rep after taking 15kg off on the 110x6, but that's still a decent PR for me.

Powercleans -
70x3
75x3
80x3
85x1
90x-
90x1 (PR)
95x-

I powercleaned a little in my deload week and found them pretty fun, I've never done them before, always opted for full cleans (although most of the time, my full clean is more or less a powerclean where I drop below parallel after catching it).

So technically right now my powerclean and full clean PRs are the same...I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Vid:
[YT]Kru_asIyC_o[/YT]

SLDL -
100x8
100x8
100x8

Band assisted standing roll outs -

Saw someone post these in one of the team logs and I thought it was a great idea. I'll be doing more of these from now on.

Pretty good session in all. I'm looking forward to focusing more on squats and oly lifts for a while.

Today's session

Powercleans -
82x3x2

First set was awful, 2nd and 3rd got a little better but far from my speediest 82s. Perhaps work and nutrition was a factor today.

Sprints -
5x20m sled and 5x20m no sled in between.

Got some footage of this so will look over it soon. Temperature is dropping, I still felt reasonably quick today but I think it may be too cold to sprint in the evenings after work soon (I work every other monday so half my sessions might be alright). Time to start making the extra effort to head to an indoor track soon.

Need to smash lots of calories and sleep well tonight. My squat goal tomorrow is 130x6, this will be a true PB, over taking my 130x5 from around april 2014 before I stopped training. That will be a great feeling, to finally get a true PB after 9 months of work.

Your elbows are way too slow. It needs to be feet and elbows at the same time (when your feet hit the floor, your elbows are coming through).

You're also pulling in with your arms. Relax that shit, homie.

Today wasn't so bad if I may say so.

Squat -
130x6 PB

My first true weightlifting PB since april 2014. It's been an interesting journey, took me almost 9 months since I started training again to being stronger than before, but I'm finally there, and convincingly, I've known that I'm stronger for a while now because squat depth and speed is much better than it used to be, but now I have proof in numbers too.

Press -
50x2x5

Who gives a damn

Romanian deadlift -
137.5x3x5

Getting pretty tough now.

Barbell holds -
40x3x15 secs

[YT]TY-13iJbNEY[/YT]

Your elbows are way too slow. It needs to be feet and elbows at the same time (when your feet hit the floor, your elbows are coming through).

You're also pulling in with your arms. Relax that shit, homie.

Are there any useful drills/exercises to get the elbows through quicker? I'm assuming hang powercleans are good for that? With a light enough weight to drill speed?

I've always known it was my weak point. On all my clean misses the weight has flown up and I just haven't caught it.

Gotcha, no more muscle cleans.

Back