Inertia's Training Log

Looks like a lot of my posts disappeared? I haven't been on here much since the update, I'll assume this happened to a lot of people...

Been too lazy to log recently so I'll just write about recent relevant improvements.

Current PBs:
Squat - 135x4
Pause squat - 120x4
Front squat - still 115x3 (I hate fronts)
Paused front - 100x6 (Though I prefer doing them paused)

Powerclean - 110
Paused bench - 75x5
Deadlift - 180 (Random test, I don't think my technique is ideal)
SLDL - 140x9

All at about 74kg.

Sprinting improvements stalled, which based on my numbers really shouldn't have happened. I think it has a lot to do with full time work and diet being up and down. So I've been messing around with some martial arts stuff recently, and I've realised I do sort of miss striking, so I'm going to give Muay Thai another try in January. Some skill work might be less frustrating and more enjoyable than pure performance stuff.

Sounds awesome about MT! You should, you have good proportions for it.

Btw, you can unscramble your log and get posts back if you contact an admin. It happened to most of us, I think it's a sticky either in logs or S&C section.

I decided to start doing 5/3/1 because of random work schedule and my need for some sort of routine. Training has been very up and down but I'm feeling mentally refreshed in the few days since I've started this program.

19/02
Press 37x5, 42x5, 47x8
Close grip bench paused 60x3x8
Weighted chins 10x8, 7x7, 7x6
Hanging leg raises 3x10

22/02
Deadlift 110x5, 120x5, 140x9
Front squat paused 100x6
Hanging leg raises 3x10

I was expecting 10+ from that deadlift set but it's still a decent rep PB

Today
Paused bench 50x5, 60x5, 70x10, 70x6, 70x7
Muscle cleans 60x4, 62x4, 65x2x4
Weighted chins

I keep losing count on these higher rep sets but I'm pretty sure I got 10. I'm happy either way as I've never felt good about my bench but I'm finally starting to feel more comfortable with it. Though I'm definitely looking forward to properly getting into this program and getting this initial 90% cycle out of the way. I'm planning to go to an indoor track and do some sprints Friday so I probably won't do my 5/3/1 squat workout till after that.

Work got in the way so I missed the rest of the week.

Today

Press -
40x5
45x5
52.5x5

Paused bench -
67.5x3x8

Muscle cleans -
67.5x4x4

Surprisingly good session today. Should have squatted but decided to save it till tomorrow because I didn't get to eat much at work, and I'm off tomorrow so can make the most of that.

Pause bench -
75x8 (PB)
75x7

Pretty big PB for me too. I'd love a 100 pause at 75 bw.

Widish grip pull ups
8, 7 , 7

Db rows
25x10
25x7

Been a long time since I did something and tried to focus on the correct muscle contracting rather than just exploding the weight. I don't really like it but I want to utilise accessory work a bit more.

Db lateral raises
10x8
10x8
7.5x14

8 was a struggle second set but I guess 7.5 made too big a difference, I tried not too rest too much too.

Today

Pause back squat -
107.5x5
100x5

My squat is pathetic right now. Quads feel weak and seems to cause hips to shoot back a little more than when my squat was decent. Just need to bite the bullet and get squatting again.

Sldl -
130x3x8

Kneeling ab roll outs -
2x10 with 5 sec pause

It doesn't look like much on paper and the weights are crappy, but this was the hardest work out I've had in a long time.

Decent session today considering the shit weekend I had.

Press - 3+
55x4
50x6

Not bad, went for 5 and failed.

Pause bench -
70x2x8
70x7

Solid increase.

Muscle cleans -
Bit random today but most the work was at 65, wasn't going up as easy as last time.

Widish grip pull ups -

Paused Squat - 3+
112.5x4
105x6

Fairly happy with that. My squat needs to come back.

Sldl -
132x3x8

Used straps this week, after 5 reps on first set I was struggling for some reason.

Improvised hamstring curls on cable machine, 3x10, not sure about the weight.

I mixed up my core work today, ab roll outs, barbell holds, standing cable crunches and hanging leg raises.

Great result today.

Pause bench - 3+
80x6 PB
75x6

During the warm ups I was thinking that things felt heavy and I'd be lucky to get 3, but I just kept going. Butt came off the bench on the last rep but whatever, I've never been a strong pressed but I'm really happy with this.

Strict press -
45x3x8

Widish pull ups -

External rotations and face pulls. Very light and slow till it burned.

100m tempos x 7

Today

Deadlift - 3+
160x4 equals PB
140x6

I equalled my PB but I'm not happy with the form. Back was too rounded, but I think that's day 4 of consecutive training catching up on me. I should still be happy I got it.

Front squat paused -
100x4

Meh, feeling beat up.

Ab roll outs with 15kg added, 5 sec pause at bottom

Today

Press - 1+
57x3
52x6

Not a pb but I guess it's a successful cycle all the same. I tried for a 4th, got halfway, struggled for a good couple of seconds before letting it go.

Pause bench -
72x3x6

Muscle cleans -
65x4x5

I just enjoy these really. Feels explosive and raw.

Widish grip pull ups -

Yesterday

Pause Squat - 1+
120x1
100x6

I'm really not happy with these. I trained at a different gym for work reasons and I don't like squatting here, but it is what it is. I wanted a decent double from this, or if it had to be a single, one that wasn't such a crappy grind. It didn't go well.

I did some sets on a hack squat machine. Progressively increased the weight and did a nice 10 rep set.

RDLs -
120x5
130x5

Hamstring curls 3x10

Today

Pause bench - 1+
85x3
77x6

These were good. I'm happy with that 85, for me that should mean a decent single at 92-95.

Strict press -
47x2x8, then 7

Power clean -
80x2

Just a random test for no reason, training with a friend who wanted to go over some technique so I taught him some stuff and just gave this a go.

Did about 8 sets of 8 across a few of the plate loaded machines there. Vertical row and a couple of horizontals. It was good to play around with machines for once.

External rotations and face pulls to finish.

Today, I was an idiot.

Deadlift - 1+
160x4
170x2 PB

Usually when I deadlift I start with 25s on the bar, but today I used 20s, except I forgot after my first couple of warm up sets, too distracted from chatting to people probably, so I DL'd 160 thinking it was 170, to be fair it was a very good set. Very quick on the first couple of reps, and I'm certain I could have got a fifth, MAYBE a sixth at a push, so I'm stronger/less fatigued than I was last week. After the fourth rep though I knew something was wrong because it was just too easy.

After realising my stupidity I went to 170 and did a double. Solid enough, could I have got 3 fresh? We will never know...

Paused front squats -
90x2x8

Man these better grow my damn quads because they are not fun.

Kneeling roll outs -
3x10, long pause at bottom

Lateral raises -
12.5x8 left side, 7 right side
10x2x10

Yesterday I trained earlier than usual and only had a banana, I thought it would affect me more but it was still ok.

Press - 5+
55x5
50x7

Pause bench -
72x7
70x7
70x6

Muscle cleans -
65x3x3

These and bench felt a little harder than usual.

Chin ups -

Today

Paused Squat - 5+
110x6
100x8

Whilst I'm still not lifting anything impressive, this is the best my squat has felt in a while. The top set felt as fast as 80 did warming up, explosive and smooth today. Someone even said my depth was as atg as you get.

SLDL -
140x3x5

Barbell holds - 15 secs
40, 45x2

Hanging leg raises -
10, struggle

I decided not to do a deload week as the program suggests as I just don't feel I need one yet. Maybe after this cycle.

Yesterday

Pause bench - 5+
80x6
80x5

Misremembered the program, it was meant to be 77 for 5+ today, but hey.

Muscle cleans -
67x3x4

Not too bad today.

Press -
47x2x8, then 7 and failed 8

External rotations and facepulls

I must have jinxed it when I said I didn't need a deload. The last couple of nights my sleep has been awful, awake most of the night and if I do sleep I get vivid dreams and I wake up easily. Appetite has been down too, for me this usually means I've been training and working too hard for too long. I'm not going to do my deadlift session today. I'm going to do some lighter assistance work, some tempo runs and maybe some extra LISS.

Today

Paused front squat -
90x3x3, kept it low volume.

Sldl -
110x5
120x5

If I went for a 6th on the 120 I'd have dropped the bar, and this is light. I always compare my grip to the 140x9 deadlift I did without straps...a difference this big confirms to me that something is up with me the last couple,of days.

Hamstring curls and Widish grip pull ups

Tempo runs, 6x100s

Been busy with work so I haven't been able to train since Thursday, yesterday was a decent session considering. Didnt go with 5/3/1 workouts for various reasons.

Yesterday

Power cleans -
70x2
75x2
80x2x2

Considering I don't remember the last time I power cleaned this went surprisingly well. 80 was easy and fast.

Overhead shot throws -
Didn't measure any of these but I used them as an extra warm up for sprints, my technique still lacks any real keg drive. Needs work.

Sprints -
20mx4

Again, no times. But felt good to sprint again.

Bench -
80x6
80x5

Cheated a little on that 6th rep but I should still be happy with equalling my PB after the previous work.

Weighted chins -
10x10
10x8

Today

Paused squat -
110x5
100x6

Speed didn't feel great especially on last reps. Very meh, but hey. Definitely had DOMs from sprints too.

RDLs from rack -
130x3x5

Single leg hamstring curls -

Barbell holds -
45 for 15 secs
45 for 20 secs

Ab roll outs -
15kg x5
10kgx 7

Once again work got in the way of training, so it's been almost a week since my last session, it was more or less identical although the sprint times were probably better. How much of that is running with a tailwind though, I have no idea.

Power cleans -
80x3x2

Not sure if they were quite as sharp as last week, but still fast and very easy.

Sprints -
20mx5

Felt good enough for one more today. Speed felt very good, like I said, there was a pretty strong wind today but I did also feel quite explosive off the line. Concentrating on bringing my rear arm through and my planted hand hand back as fast as possible simultaneously definitely works for me.

Bench -
80x6
80x5

At least I'm not losing anything. I had someone record my bench today as I've never seen myself before. If anyone sees this and has any critique or suggestions please let me know.

Chin ups -
10kgx8
10kgx7

Stretching and done.

Today was good.

Pause squat -
110x6
110x5

Some days I love pause squats and today was one of those days. Happy to equal my PB after working myself dead this weekend, friend commented on my bar speed and said it was really good too.

Sldls -
140x5
145x2x5

Hamstring curls
Hanging leg raises
Weighted ab roll outs 15kg
Standing cable crunches
Spin bike warm down
Stretching

All in all I'm quite happy with today. Tomorrow I'll do some heavy upper and then Saturday I'll do some low volume squats with an explosive focus to stay primed for next week. I'm finally travelling down to the indoor track at Lee Valley again and to train with a friend I haven't seen in ages on Tuesday.

Today

Press -
57x4
52x7

Pause bench -
72x2x5

Benching felt awful today, I wasn't picky with the bar which I do think made a difference. I used one of the crappier ones and I really noticed the lack of spin in the bar, when I held the bar on my chest it kept trying to roll. Won't do that again.

Pull ups -

Cable machine rows -
3x10

May or may not do that Saturday session tomorrow. I'm working till late and the gym shuts at 1pm so I'm not sure if it's worth it, a Monday session may be enough to get ready for Tuesday sprints.

Yesterday

Plans fell through for indoor track today so I made a last minute decision to sprint yesterday. I had some cold symptoms setting in over the weekend and I haven't felt too sharp this week.

Power cleans -
80x2x2

Had them recorded. Super easy but didn't feel as quick as id like.

Sprints -
20mx3

I was on a bit of time constraint but again, these weren't amazing.

Today

Pause squats -
115x4 PB
107x5

My performance on the back off set does lead me to believe that I'm not 100% right now, even though I PB'd I don't think that was indicative of what I'm capable of. Maybe id have gotten one more rep, or more likely the reps would have been a little quicker. Vid from today:

Bench -
82x3
72x7

Meh

Sldl -
140x5
130x10

A little strange, 140x5 was almost to failure, 130 was too easy.

Weighted chin ups -
10kgx2x5

Cable machine rows, some foam rolling and stretching. Overall I'm happy with the PB but I'm definitely a little off.

Back