Inertia's Training Log

Today

Power cleans -
90x4x1

I just felt like doing some heavier singles today. They were all easy and the bar went higher than needed on every rep. I wasn't blasting music during so I was pretty relaxed for them too.

Muscle cleans -
62x2x4
70x3

I think that's a PB, but I was just filling time while I waited for someone to finish on the bench.

Pause bench -
82x5 PB
77x7

Much better day today. I am 90% sure that was 5 reps on 82 though it is possible I miscounted. It was a tough set but I got it.

Weighted pull ups -
5x8
5x7
5x6

Gonna squat again tomorrow. Right now I'm thinking 112 for 3x3 might be a good idea.

Pause squat -
112x3x3

Followed my initial idea, not too bad. Would have liked a little more explosion and speed from them, but considering I started to feel a little ill after my warm ups I can't complain too much.

SLDLs -
140x3x5

Good amount of heavy volume for me.

Weighted ab roll outs - 10kgx2x6 w/ 5 sec pause.
Barbell holds - 40kgx2x10 sec hold.
Standing cable crunches - 2x12
Hamstring curls - 2x10-12

A decent session. I've gained some weight recently, I'm consistently slightly above 75kg in the morning which is good. I need to keep up with what I'm doing as well as create some good habits when I my time off work stops in another week or so.

Yesterday

Power cleans -
70x2
80x3x2
70x2

Pretty crap. Felt weak, slow and spaced out. But it was good that I did something and some stretching+massage after.

Today

Much better, went down to the indoor track to train with my friend who I haven't seen in a while, it was worth it.

Standing long jump -
2.81m
2.76m

My PB is 2.88 and I was happy to even get above 2.80 with the training I've been doing recently, expected my jumps to be meh.

Power cleans -
80x1
85x1

Still not great cleans but worked for a warm up.

Sprints -
4x20m

These felt great, the best I've felt since I started sprinting again and probably from before that too. Looking forward to getting some times, I'm not expecting PBs but if I'm below 3.2 I'll be happy enough.

Session 2

Push press -
80x1
90x-

Wanted to at least equal my PB but my technique is a little rusty (I didn't get enough leg drive) and my press let me down too.

Strict press -
60x4 PB
60x4

Failed the fifth on 1st set but I'm pretty happy.

Weighted pull ups -
7.5kgx8
7.5x8
7.5x7

Bicep curls -
35x8
35x8
35x7

I curled in the rack. Yep.

Side raises -
10x12
10x12

Both sides. Will post vids of the sprints when I get them.

My fastest sprint from last week. It ended up being 3.22 secs but I'm kinda happy with it.

Forgot to post my Wednesday session last week.

Pause squat -
115x4
107x4

Really wanted to PB today but it wasn't there. I had a much more solid pause on every rep this time around so perhaps that has something to do with. The back off set does show that I wasn't at my best though, no doubt due to the long session the day before.

SLDLs -
145x6
145x5

Pretty happy with those.

Core work, I forget what exactly.

Today

Power cleans -
80x2
85x1

I wasn't feeling great going into this session and I was ill towards the end of last week. Almost didn't train today but these power cleans did surprise me. Faster than I expected.

Sprints -
10m
20mx4

I'm sure not as good as last week but these weren't terrible.

Pause bench -
80x6
80x5

80 is always a good test of where I'm at. Not all the reps were solid but there strength is still there.

Weighted chins -
10x8
10x8

After my illness last week I became pretty aware just by looking in the mirror that I'd lost some leg size. Knew squats would be a little worse off today so I planned in advance.

Paused squat -
110x5
110x5

Something in me still wanted 6/7 on the first set but it wasn't gonna happen. Pause was solid and speed was good however.

SLDLs -
130x3x5

Wanted to go lightish today.

Hamstring curls -
3 sets both sides

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

I might be busy tomorrow but if I'm not I'll do some upper work and tempo runs.

Session went much better than expected today. Im on night shifts for the next 4 nights so I decided to get up early, train, and then nap some more. I usually hate early (for me) sessions but hey.

Power cleans -
80x2
90x1

80 went up so easy that I scrapped the 85 plan and did an easy 90.

Pause squats -
110x2x3
110x6

Plan was 3 sets of triples but again, these were going well so I hit an AMRAP on the last set. Felt good.

Strict press -
60x3
55x6
55x5

SLDLs -
140x8 PB

I was pretty exhausted by this point so just went for one set. My SLDL has now almost caught up with my deadlift reps PB (140x9) and that was fresh. I deadlift with high hips anyway so they've always been close, but this is interesting. I don't think I'll test my DL again though until I'm confident I'd get 200.

Barbell holds -
40x15 secs
45x15 secs

Hanging leg raises -
12 just to finish off

My new work schedule is 4 on 4 off, 12 hour shifts, and the 4 on alternate between days and nights. During 4 on the priority will mostly be rest and recovery, but I'm going to aim to get one session after a shift every time to just keep things ticking. So I'll probably train Friday or Saturday morning.

Wasn't able to train during my 4 on because opening times suck, in a nut shell. I think I may join a second gym again, there's one near me that has gotten a lot cheaper than it was when I was a member there years ago; and allegedly has platforms now. I might check it out tomorrow.

Today, after 6 days no training.

Power cleans -
80x2
90x1
100x1

90 felt easy and I wanted to test the 100, harder than I wanted but definitely not a max. I doubt I have 110 in me right now but probably 105.

Sprints -
3x20m

I felt this volume was enough today. While I was finishing my warm up with some short starts a coach came down to where I was training with a small group. I asked him which lanes he wanted so we didn't get in each other's way, he then watched me do some starts and decided he wanted to teach me a better way. I didn't really want help but I humoured him and learnt his 4 point start technique, then when straight back to my 3 point starts because I don't want to change anything major right now. He was a nice guy though, said I looked quick and that I should definitely keep sprinting after I told him I do it for fun. Jakes on him though, I only look quick.

Pause bench -
82.5x4
77.5x5

Meh

Weighted pull ups -
7.5x7
7.5x6
5x7

Also meh

My appetite is being weirder, or worse than usual rather. I try to have a fairly big breakfast since I'm a lazy eater and today and yesterday I couldn't even finish the first part of it (didn't make the second part so luckily didn't waste that). Couldn't take another mouthful without feeling like I was going to puke it back up. Gonna stick with plain food tonight, just some seasoned chicken and pasta I think.

Today

Pause Squats -
110x5
105x5

Speed felt OK today, but while warming up I realised 115 would be too amibitous. Sick of this number but I really won't see any improvements at my current weight.

SLDL -
140x3x5

Some decent volume.

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

It was a nice day, so I made an excuse to go outside and do some hurdle drills and easy hill sprints focusing on stride. Not the best call, felt really flat after free weights.

Ab roll outs -
3 sets with pause

4 on starts from tomorrow, days this time. I'll find somewhere to train Sunday evening if I can, as my gym won't be open. Went to look at a gym very near to me today, they've got a lifting platform now which they didn't have recently but all their memberships are contracts and still all basically £40 a month. I'm not sure if I want to pay £60 a month in total for memberships, especially when my "side gym" would be double the price of my main one.

I haven't joined another gym yet so I did end up having 4 days off. The expensive gym may end up being the best option due to its proximity, despite the price.

Yesterday's training

Power cleans -
80x2
90x1

Felt quick

Sprints -
30x3

Could tell I haven't done 30s in a while. First one felt good, the others were ok too but I definitely hit max V and started to slow down before the end. My PB is 4.29 so if any of them end up near 4.3 I'll be happy though.

Today

Pause Squats -
112x6 PB

A small PB but a PB all the same. Came into this session feeling a little tired but performance on these was good.

SLDLs -
140x4

Just wanted to give my posterior chain a bit of a kick without doing too much because I plan to train every day I can this week. My friend (correctly, imo) suggests that SLDLs in particular are hard on the cns, hard to recover from. He is more advanced than me and a lot more sensitive to fatigue, so I believe him.

Pause bench -
82x3

Not great but I don't care today.

Weighted pull ups -
10kgx8

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

Did some rolling on my glutes and hips. I wanted to keep the volume low today to hopefully keep training intensity high the next few days, tomorrow will most likely be tempo runs and some pressing.

Today was tempo runs, 10x100m in some nice 5-6pm weather. Sun was out, got a bit of a sweat without being far too hot.

Also did some hurdle drills then strict pressing. 65x1 then 57x5. I think I'm close to a 70 press despite how long I struggled on the 65 today, but benching yesterday is probably a factor.

Tomorrow the current plan is power cleans and I want to try some take offs for long jump. Been something I've wanted to try for a long time. I may also do some sprints; short distance though. 6-8x10m maybe.

Yesterday

Power cleans -
80x2

Not feeling quite as quick as I'd like so I stopped there.

Take offs -
Just experimenting. Doing 2, 4, and 6 step run ups. Although as it was my first time doing anything like this so I often did odd steps and jumped off the 'wrong' leg. One good thing is that I did run through quite well and didn't pause to jump, although it was a bit flat. Lots to work on.

Sprints -
10mx2
20mx1

Today

Pause squat -
110x3x3

Wanted 112 for these but that would have been too slow today.

SLDLs -
140x8

Press -
60x3
55x6

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

Ab roll outs -
3x6, long pause

Definitely feeling the effects of 5 days training. I'm over reached but mostly in a good way. As long as I keep my cals high while working the next 4 nights I should be alright.

I did a quick and moderate session Monday afternoon before work.

Paused front squat -
100x5

Had to do a big walk out since the rack at the gym I went to sucks and safeties are too high, but not a bad result for me on fatigued night shift mode. Was a struggle though.

Press -
55x5

Single leg hamstring curls -
3x10

Today

Pause squat -
115x4
107x4

Press -
55x4
50x2

When I finished the first set I took some weight off and went straight into the second. Very poor result here.

SLDLs -
140x5

Easy, left reps in the tank.

Weighted chins -
10x9 with dead stop at bottom

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

I got food poisoning from something I ate Wednesday evening and pooped my guts out yesterday, barely ate anything. Feeling mostly better today so I ate and felt good enough to train after a long drive home. This plus my weak pressing today actually makes me feel good about the squats, the last rep was hard, but if I can equal my PB after those days and being weak on press then maybe it's indicative of more strength if I was feeling good.

Last edited:
Tuesday training in second gym.

Paused front squat -
102x3
100x5

SLDLs -
140x5
140xwhatever

Some of the metal plates at this gym are quite misshapen and for whatever reason on this second set I couldn't get them to sit straight. One side of the bar felt way heavier than the other, I did a couple of reps then adjusted so that I was closer to the heavy side. That helped a bit.

Seated calf raises
Single leg hamstring curls

Strict press -
55x2x4

Today was crappy

Power cleans -
80x2
90x1

90 felt more like 95% than 85% today. Or maybe not that much, but I had to get under it a lot more than I usually do.

Sprints -
3x20m

If timed these would be slow, no doubt.

Pause bench -
80x5 hard,
75x5

Let's devour some food and hope tomorrow will be better.

It hasn't be a great week but yesterday's workout made me feel a bit better.

Monday -

Pause squat -
110x4
110x4

These were pretty hard and disappointing.

SLDLs -
140x5

Press -
60x1
55x4

Bleh

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

Then had a very exhausting set of 4 night shifts. Didn't end up training over them as I just felt extremely run down. Then when they were over my wisdom teeth have (and still are) flared up. I've been finding it hard to eat and sleep because of them.

Yesterday's training went surprisingly well though. At a different gym which surprisingly had a platform and bumper plates, thank you cross fit for getting this stuff added into commercial gyms.

Power cleans -
80x2
90x1
95x1

90 was easier than last time, 95 made me stumble forward a bit. But I expected that today.

Squats -
110x6
110x3

I really was expecting another poor performance of 4 reps or so, don't know where 6 came from and the first 3 were pretty fast. Second set definitely showed that I wasn't well conditioned enough to repeat it though.

SLDL -
140x5

Press -
57x3
55x1

Went straight after the first set, pretty poor result here but I don't mind.

Hanging leg raises -
3x10

Ab roll outs -
15kg sandbag on my back, 4x6 with a slight pause at the bottom.

Rest today and squat again tomorrow.

Been a while since I logged!

Without rambling too much, my work schedule sucks and it made me lose my drive to train, I was maybe going to the gym once a month until recently. In the last couple of months I've put more effort into eating and getting to the gym and I'm getting some gains back. I've been meaning to start logging again, and I just found out today that I've gotten a new job, so here goes.

My improvements recently:

Body weight from 71 to 74kg
Pause back squat: 90x5 to 110x5, 130x1
Paused front squat: 120x1
Strict press: 47.5x5 to 55x5
Push press: 65x3 to 72x3
Powercleans have been consistent around 80kg recently but getting easier and faster even though the bar I use has NO spin.

Not really done much other than lifting as I'm currently not a member of the track. But I'll be moving for work so that might change in coming weeks.

My pause is too brief when I go heavy, need to work on that.

Yesterday's training. 74.4kg morning weight.

Pause squat -
112.5x5
102.5x8

That set was intense, I only did it as I know I won't have the chance to squat again for 6 days. But it was a good squat session.

Strict press -
55x5
55x5
55x3

SLDL -
140x5

Hanging leg raises -

Singe leg hamstring curls -
3x8 each side

Happy with all this really. Just weighed myself at 75.4kg today, big spike but probably not a big deal. Unfortunately I won't be training till Friday now.

Nice to see you back mate! Hope everything is well and enjoy the training.

Nice to see you back mate! Hope everything is well and enjoy the training.

Thanks!

75.5kg this morning. Kept calories high over my work days, perhaps too high but oh well.

Today's training:

Power cleans:
80x2
85x2

Heaviest I've gone in a while, even on this terrible no spin bar this felt easy.

Push press:
75x1, 70x2
70x3

I haven't push pressed in a few weeks and man did I feel like it.

Pause squats:
110x3x2

Solid doubles. Just wanted to get things firing in this session. They weren't as fast as I'd like but for 6 days off I'll take it.

Hanging leg raises:
15, 12, 12

Single leg hamstrings curls 3 sets each side

Fairly good session in all. Looking forward to Sunday.

Sunday's training:

Pause squat -
115x5 PB
110x5

Strict press -
57.5x4
55x5

SLDL -
130x8

Single leg hamstring curls

Kept this one short and sweet, but enjoyed it. Squats were a rep PB as my actual PB is 120x4. I think I might aim for 120x5 then start utilising oly squats again, but pause will always be part of my training now.

Today

Power clean -
90x1
100x1

I caught this in a quarter squat and I'd say this is pretty good. The bars at my gym have no spin whatsoever, and two days after max squats means I'm definitely worth a fair bit more.

Pause squats -
110x3x3

These weren't the best, but good enough.

Strict press -
60x4 rep PB
60x3

Well that was unexpected, first reps very quick too.

SLDL -
140x8 rep PB

Hanging leg raises -

And sadly that brings 3 good sessions to a finish. Working nights for the next 4 days now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back