Inoki and Saito's "Island Death Match"

TankAbbott

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/antonio-inoki-and-masa-saitos-infamous-island-death-match/

Here's my look at the infamous 1987 battle between Masa Saito and Antonio Inoki. This includes a brief overview of Inoki's career and his promotional war with Giant Baba, plus Saito's history leading up to this feud. Saito and Inoki engaged in a series of matches where the violence escalated with each step, leading to them settling things on a historically significant island, fighting one on one in a uniquely isolated battleground.

The length and historical significance of the encounter is compared to one of the most commemorated mixed martial arts fights ever. In addition, I touch upon the follow up island clash that went down four years later.

You almost have to appreciate Inoki's outside the box booking to generate headlines for himself and his New Japan crew.

Have you seen the match (likely in clipped form)?
Do you dislike it as much as most?
What's your favorite Inoki "MMA" style encounter?

I've seent he mastch.

It's fucking awful

Fuck Inoki and Inokism

Saito was too good to do the job in such a stupid match.

I read about it in the Apter Mags back in the 80's and good ole Willie Apter kayfabed the shit out of it and made it seem like the most amazing thing ever

I read about it in the Apter Mags back in the 80's and good ole Willie Apter kayfabed the shit out of it and made it seem like the most amazing thing ever
Like a good schill should.

I remember reading about it in those mags too.

I had that PWI too. Made it sound like it was an entire day long. I don't think I have that magazine anymore though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back