Inside leg sweep

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
So recently iv been experimenting with the more "meta" side of the arts (mindset, overall balance, agility, freedom of moment (having no stance so to say) and its been pretty eye opening.

Ive been able to do things i couldn't before including this inside leg sweep.

i first saw it here:

i brought it up to my coach and he showed me the same thing but with the lead leg. more like this:

The difference i was shown was to use the front leg as they did in the second video but pull and hop back more like the first video.

What do you guys think of this? Do you use anything like it?

I love to use the inside lead leg sweep, specially if they are heavy front footed like that:

Yep, have always used plenty of sweeping techniques, from my Karate days and still implement them in Thai boxing now. Handy tool to have.

What are some ways you guys set it up? Im guessing you dont just throw it naked

let me know what you think of these, also with the lead, or rear leg against a southpaw, we dont always have to go inside outside, we can go outside inside as shown in the video you posted.

aka MMA strikers

Yeah, but I kind expect it from those guys who train UFC... But you see it with lots of KBoxers too. Specially the ones that are heavy on boxing.
You just have to bait them to chase you a bit with punches, and they forget all about proper balance for kicking arts. So much counters to use then, and the leg sweep is a nice one. (But also a straight knee to the plexus is very fun to pull off)

What are some ways you guys set it up? Im guessing you dont just throw it naked

As I said above, I don't really set it up, it's mostly a situational act for me when they pressure, so i often throw it naked. It's like a counter strike... But the way it's done in the MT training clip is nice, because after the switch kick to the body, the opponent will put weight on his left foot, making the sweep very effective as a combo. Same after a left hook, like shincheckin explains in his vid.

Last edited:
I managed to pull one off in a situation outside of the combat sport arena once. Guy charged in to throw punches, weight all on his front leg, swept him and he went down hard, and from what I heard afterwards, had broken his hand when he fell. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy, I just guess people generally don't expect it.

I managed to pull one off in a situation outside of the combat sport arena once. Guy charged in to throw punches, weight all on his front leg, swept him and he went down hard, and from what I heard afterwards, had broken his hand when he fell. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy, I just guess people generally don't expect it.
Thats actually a pretty dope story. Especially if he didn't get up right away. Its pretty embarrassing too haha.
Dude be like

<StillMyBoy>AND THIS IS STILL MY EGO!

Yeah, but I kind expect it from those guys who train UFC... But you see it with lots of KBoxers too. Specially the ones ones that are heavy on boxing.
You just have to bait them to chase you a bit with punches, and they forget all about proper balance for kicking arts. So much counters to use then, and the leg sweep is a nice one. (But also a straight knee to the plexus is very fun to pull off)
Dutch KB guys are very front-foot heavy too, might be from the KK roots. Even the way they leg kick they crouch in and dip into it.

Dutch KB guys are very front-foot heavy too, might be from the KK roots. Even the way they leg kick they crouch in and dip into it.

Yeah they do, but they are aware of it, and they have a good balance for a kicking fight. They have adapted a heavy boxing style with the combination of kicking. Of course you can take advantage of their style because it has obvious faults, but I was talking more about guys that completely change their style during fight and go head hunting with punches, forgetting completely all the basics that involve kicks (or knees and elbows)

Yeah they do, but they are aware of it, and they have a good balance for a kicking fight. They have adapted a heavy boxing style with the combination of kicking. Of course you can take advantage of their style because it has obvious faults, but I was talking more about guys that completely change their style during fight and go head hunting with punches, forgetting completely all the basics that involve kicks (or knees and elbows)
Hmmm, those sound like guys who were brought up in a boxing background, and added MT/KB as supplement to their style. Shit hit the fan, and they reverted back to muscle memory

Maybe. All I know is I run into those guys a lot more often when in KB tournaments. It's like at their gym, they spend the last rounds on the heavy bag just blasting punches, and in the fight they have no patience for something else...
It's like they are not good enough with punches to be boxers, and not good enough with kicks to rely on them... So they just brawl throwing fists and filling the room with uppers and ugly hooks.
It can be overwhelming, specially if its a KB fight with no clinch and no elbows to counter their style when in close distance.
And that's when i like to sweep, or use the long straight knee.

Last edited:
Maybe. All I know is I run into those guys a lot more often when in KB tournaments. It's like at their gym, they spend the last rounds on the heavy bag just blasting punches, and in the fight they have no patience for something else...
It's like they are not good enough with punches to be boxers, and not good enough with kicks to rely on them... So they just brawl throwing fists and filling the room with uppers and ugly hooks.
It can be overwhelming, specially if its a KB fight with no clinch and no elbows to counter their style when in close distance.
And that's when i like to sweep, or use the long straight knee.
Are you competing in America? Alot of the gyms there are MMA gyms, they basically go down to MT or KB fights to get their feet wet in competition as a means to prepare for a MMA fight. It surprised me actually, that about 80% of the gyms there are MMA gyms and not MT gyms despite it being a MT event.

They do get better with exp. the novices, and fresh intermediates fight like that. Not wanting to back down, and both pressing forward; Straights become a hybrid of striaght+hook+uppercut, and a clinch fest where both guys don't know much of what to do.

Are you competing in America?

No, i get confused by the imperial system, and I don't understand in what weight class i would fight...

But, yeah, in Europe too, lots of MMA gyms hold striking smokers for their fighters... Have been in a cage a couple of times fighting KB and MT rules...

And funny thing is, the guys from MMA usually are more open minded to fight with elbows and clinch, than the KBoxers, since it's something they need to learn to deal with.

It's kinda expected from beginners to revert back to ugly boxing, but it happens with more experienced fighters too. And from what I have concluded, most of them are KBoxers... If they come from boxing, they have better technique with their punches, if they come from "pure mma", you can tell, they have a sloppy beginners/intermediate feeling in general. When they come from dutch KBoxing, they have a good balance, good strategy, you can see it has a purpose, its not just mindless brawl...
But when they are just Kboxers doing that... It's just ugly, sloppy, and I cant understand why. They can start the fight with good general technique, and at some point it all goes out the window for them. It's like they don't trust that good technique will help them anymore, and just easy power shots will do.

Such a great tool, but my timing is usually off on these.

Back