Inspiring fights to watch?

beat...people...up?

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Yes, I have a Flograppling subscription.

My first comp is this weekend and I want some matches to watch to get in the mood and distract myself from nerves. I trust this forum to have good recs. Gi matches preferred.

I found last weekend's Gianni Grippo vs. Paulo Miyao match at Kasai Pro to be quite inspiring. Also Roger Gracie vs Buchecha. Craig Jones vs. Leandro Lo. Felipe Pena vs Gordon Ryan.

If you have Flo and are nervous about your own competition, then you may enjoy watching the Yuri Simoes mini-documentary from the last ADCC. It may surprise you how fragile Yuri was behind-the-scenes, and how much his coach Caio Terra helped him to perform at his best.

I found last weekend's Gianni Grippo vs. Paulo Miyao match at Kasai Pro to be quite inspiring. Also Roger Gracie vs Buchecha. Craig Jones vs. Leandro Lo. Felipe Pena vs Gordon Ryan.

If you have Flo and are nervous about your own competition, then you may enjoy watching the Yuri Simoes mini-documentary from the last ADCC. It may surprise you how fragile Yuri was behind-the-scenes, and how much his coach Caio Terra helped him to perform at his best.

I watched the whole Kasai Pro already (my girlfriend is very tolerant of my obsessions and watched it with me on the computer) and I did love seeing the Grippo/Miyao matchup--as well as Canuto vs. Rocha rematch--but I definitely didn't catch the Yuri Simoes mini-doc. Wow that was intense and incredible. Really touching. Dang.

You could also watch some White belt matches on youtube. This way you can see how.. Not bad, but lacking in technique first comp matches are. Its mostly a lot of pulling and trying to get points and then a bit of stalling.
Mind you I am also a White belt, so this comes from a guy who had his first comp a month or so ago. Its a fun experience, try to enjoy it and dont let nerves affect you. Trust me if you give it your all on the mat, win or lose you will leave smiling. We do this for fun after all.

Kron Gracie vs Otavio Sousa at Metamoris is on youtube.

Marcelo Garcia vs Ricco Rodriguez always inspires me

came here to say this

and all of rafa mendes and braulio estima adcc 2009 my god braulio estima 2009 no gi was un fucking stoppable idk what mexican supplements he was on that day but he was p4p the greatest that night what he did to marcelo Garcia xande and andre galvao destroyed them all by sub

I feel inspired watching matches like Murilo Santana vs Francisco Iturralde.

Just complete irresistible domination.

Last edited:
what mexican supplements he was on that day

Braulio's most impressive wins where mostly done with newly unveiled techniques he didn't win by overpowering everyone or jumping around like a monkey.
Braulio is not Galvao.

i was shocked to learn around 2011 2012 that andre galvao was everyones new bjj hero cause back in 2009 days people use to say he could only do gi he didnt
Braulio's most impressive wins where mostly done with newly unveiled techniques he didn't win by overpowering everyone or jumping around like a monkey.
Braulio is not Galvao.
have a good no gi game really he was still a good guy but not top tier wonder what changed with him

i was shocked to learn around 2011 2012 that andre galvao was everyones new bjj hero cause back in 2009 days people use to say he could only do gi he didnt

have a good no gi game really he was still a good guy but not top tier wonder what changed with him

Woodley punched his MMA dreams away. I guess he learned to wrestle. It's the smart way to fight ADCC rather then try to pull some gi guard stuff that doesn't translate over. Galvao prepares for things seriously and controls his training why shouldn't he do it? It's also easier for someone who is power oriented.

Woodley punched his MMA dreams away. I guess he learned to wrestle. It's the smart way to fight ADCC rather then try to pull some gi guard stuff that doesn't translate over. Galvao prepares for things seriously and controls his training why shouldn't he do it? It's also easier for someone who is power oriented.

yeah maybe mma training toughened him up made him much more aggressive it did for me around purple belt i started to take mma much more serious i felt it mentally made me a lot tougher

but people seem to think andre galvao is this gens marcelo garcia. marcelo from 2005-2010 was like the god of bjj when i first started n 2006 all i heard was marcelo roger jacare

andre obviously is technical but he doesnt methodically take guys out he has that super stocky body thick arms so hard to sub and uses his athleticism to escape bad positions i dont understand why guys admire that more than say a mendes or demian maia i love jacare as well hes very technical but like andre he gets by with extreme athleticism forcing himself to stay on top

Damn.

Grappling can be boring as fuck a lot of the time.

She really is the best. Actually, she says she's come to appreciate the sport and finds it pretty enjoyable to watch except when there's too much handfighting at the beginning ("Ugh, they're playing pattycake again"). She won't train herself, though, as she prefers other sports and doesn't love that much full-body contact. It's a shame because we're exactly the same size and if she did train, we could get in so much quality drilling.

Wound up getting silver in my tournament btw. Nerves got me in the final unfortunately.

for me it's Cyborg's comeback against Braga Neto @ Worlds 2010.

Back