Instructional DVDs? Worth it?

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Do you like them? Do you hate them? Are they not worth it?

Don't get me wrong nothing beats out the real life training you get in the gym from your coach!

That being said, I notice that I collected a lot of BJJ/grappling dvds over the years. Is it the same for you guys/girls who train too?

I'm not one of these guys who purposely collect BJJ dvds and/or books, but I notice I inadvertently accumulated a collection.

I like them, gives ideas and nice to see how the pros approach a sub, position, tech etc

I do feel that they are more useful when supplemented with mat time

there are some dvds that if I watched my first year I would be lost

Don't get me wrong nothing beats out the real life training you get in the gym from your coach!

That being said, I notice that I collected a lot of BJJ/grappling dvds over the years. Is it the same for you guys/girls who train too?

I'm not one of these guys who purposely collect BJJ dvds and/or books, but I notice I inadvertently accumulated a collection.

I have been wrestling for 33 years, I still train with a Veterans club (Old men). I still buy and watch instructional DVD's. There is always something that you may think you know but are missing the little details from, sometimes you will watch a move and it will click. I also feel that through watching instructionals it will remind me of moves that I knew, but forgot about. If you don't have the money for instructionals there is a lot of free stuff on You Tube that are excellent resources.

Sadly, I wish I had access to instructional DVD's when I was younger and actively competing, I think I would have accomplished more in the sport of wrestling if I did.

To me, good instructional videos are when you can go back and watch matches of the athlete hitting the same moves against high level opponents in competition. If anything, that's always been my criticism of some of Ryan Hall's sets-- there's little evidence of him actually successfully using some of the techniques (obv this applies to some sets more than others), or you see him doing different moves that aren't even on the DVD.

Last edited:
I have been wrestling for 33 years, I still train with a Veterans club (Old men). I still buy and watch instructional DVD's. There is always something that you may think you know but are missing the little details from, sometimes you will watch a move and it will click. I also feel that through watching instructionals it will remind me of moves that I knew, but forgot about. If you don't have the money for instructionals there is a lot of free stuff on You Tube that are excellent resources.

Sadly, I wish I had access to instructional DVD's when I was younger and actively competing, I think I would have accomplished more in the sport of wrestling if I did.
Ever think about entering the US Open in the Veterans division?

To me, good instructional videos are when you can go back and watch matches of the athlete hitting the same moves against high level opponents in competition. If anything, that's always been my criticism of some of Ryan Hall's sets-- there's little evidence of him actually successfully using some of the techniques (obv this applies to some sets more than others), or you see him doing different moves that aren't even on the DVD.

He triangled the shit out of people, he’s known for his 50/50 game as well, his guard Passing dvd Came late once he pretty much stopped competing in grappling, in his hey days, he was never a passer, that came later in his life...

Ryan Hall's dvds are game changers imo

I enjoy them for the big picture stuff.
It's not always about the technique so much as it is about the concepts behind the techniques that hold them together and the connections that tie certain techniques to other techniques into logical systems.

If I'm studying techniques so I can hit them in training I like my sources no longer than about 3 minutes long, and to work at it over time. First watch ill take the basics and try and drill it/Work it in sparring, then with each progressive viewing it makes more and more sense until I know the technique and I can start to find its place in my regular game..

Dvds for me are different. They provide understanding and context (wisdom) that help me to understand why and how certain things work, general concepts, strategy, tactics and how to troubleshoot problems in my jiu jitsu myself. I can't take all of the details in in that format (some guy demonstrating for 2 hours without drilling), and I often walk out with more questions than answers. But that's a good thing imo.

End of the day it's about whether you are looking for specific information as concentrated as possible so you can memorize it, or you're humble enough to sit there and listen while an og spits game, knowing you wont be able to take it all in but knowing some of the big picture will rub off.

Either way, u gotta do the knowledge.

I don't have any of his dvds.

Why the heck not?

From my experience, triangles, back attacks and arm triangles changed my game, i went from not hitting a single triangle to bein called a triangle guy, same with back attacks. If you are a noob, it will help your game inmensily...

I like instructional DVDs personally. Triangles are probably my best sub and a lot of what I do I got from the Ryan Hall set.

The other thing I like about different DVDs is that I get exposed to different concepts and materials than I will just going to class. A lot of the more experienced posters here talk about taking ownership of your progression. I think watching some of the DVDs have helped me with this. For example, I wanted to focus on passing more. I typically watch some passing stuff and then drill that during the open mat and try to work those things during rolling as well.

I think if you focus on a few things at a time and actually will drill what you see then DVD content can be useful. If you just watch and don't work on things then it is probably not worth it.

I like instructional DVDs personally. Triangles are probably my best sub and a lot of what I do I got from the Ryan Hall set.

The other thing I like about different DVDs is that I get exposed to different concepts and materials than I will just going to class. A lot of the more experienced posters here talk about taking ownership of your progression. I think watching some of the DVDs have helped me with this. For example, I wanted to focus on passing more. I typically watch some passing stuff and then drill that during the open mat and try to work those things during rolling as well.

I think if you focus on a few things at a time and actually will drill what you see then DVD content can be useful. If you just watch and don't work on things then it is probably not worth it.

after a certain time, in these times, theres absolutely no reason to let someone else be in charge of your progression, none.

Why the heck not?

From my experience, triangles, back attacks and arm triangles changed my game, i went from not hitting a single triangle to bein called a triangle guy, same with back attacks. If you are a noob, it will help your game inmensily...

I was never a triangle choke guy, I suck at getting the triangle on anyone with some experience. I figured that was not my game. If I do get a Ryan Hall dvd, his triangle choke will most likely be it. Looks like a good dvd on the bits and pieces I saw on youtube.

I remember reading that on here too. I think the veteran, higher belts guys said once you get your purple belt you have to take ownership of your training, meaning, its really up to you to get to the black belt level on your own. Coming to class and learning 'move of the day' that the coach teaches doesn't really vastly improve your overall game. At this point I think you need to start cross training with different gyms and training with more advanced partners.

I was never a triangle choke guy, I suck at getting the triangle on anyone with some experience. I figured that was not my game. If I do get a Ryan Hall dvd, his triangle choke will most likely be it. Looks like a good dvd on the bits and pieces I saw on youtube.

Do you have short stocky legs?

Do you have short stocky legs?

My legs are long even though I'm short. My issue with the triangle choke is really with my gut getting in the way. I'm a chubby/overweight guy, but 90% of that fatness is at my belly. I actually have really flexible legs but it's negated with fat gut.

My legs are long even though I'm short. My issue with the triangle choke is really with my gut getting in the way. I'm a chubby/overweight guy, but 90% of that fatness is at my belly. I actually have really flexible legs but it's negated with fat gut.

Mmmm... I don’t see why your gut should be a problem... is it finishing the problem? Or getting to the triangle position?

Mmmm... I don’t see why your gut should be a problem... is it finishing the problem? Or getting to the triangle position?

For me, BOTH is a problem. I have trouble setting it up and if I somehow manage to get there I usually tire out my legs from squeezing and tiring out my core from having to keeps my hips up. And if I have to adjust my angle/position on the fly to get to a better position my gut blocks me from doing this such as reaching for my foot/ankle, etc. Its the small details that causes me problems.

Back