Interesting takeaway after 220: DC, MM, and Stipe are the only Champions...

Arkham's Notorious Geyser

"Sorry about that"
@red
Reaction score
In recent memory when the bright lights shined the brightest, defended their belts against an opponent with some kind of hype behind them.

Michael Bisping failed to stop the comeback hype of GSP and lost the Middleweight Strap

Eddie Alvarez failed to stop Conor's momentum and lost the Lightweight strap

Jose Aldo couldn't stop the Blessed Era, and next rising star in Max Holloway and lost the Featherweight strap

Cody once the machine started to get behind him, failed to defend and lost the Bantamweight strap

Joanna like Cody also started getting the machine behind her but lost the Strawweight strap to Rose

Mighty Mouse outclassed Ray Borg even with some people clamoring for the Upset due to the "ducking" controversy.

DC put the breaks on Volkan's train.

Stipe stopped N'Gannou in his tracks and sent him packing to the back.

In short DC, Mighty Mouse, and Stipe are some OG Champions.

Interesting thing to note after tonight, thoughts?

Valentina had hype and Mandy Nunes defended! The LIONESS. :D

You’re saying ray borg had some hype behind him? Lol

In recent memory when the bright lights shined the brightest, defended their belts against an opponent with some kind of hype behind them.

Michael Bisping failed to stop the comeback hype of GSP and lost the Middleweight Strap

Eddie Alvarez failed to stop Conor's momentum and lost the Lightweight strap

Jose Aldo couldn't stop the Blessed Era, and next rising star in Max Holloway and lost the Featherweight strap

Cody once the machine started to get behind him, failed to defend and lost the Bantamweight strap

Joanna like Cody also started getting the machine behind her but lost the Strawweight strap to Rose

Mighty Mouse outclassed Ray Borg even with some people clamoring for the Upset due to the "ducking" controversy.

DC put the breaks on Volkan's train.

Stipe stopped N'Gannou in his tracks and sent him packing to the back.

In short DC, Mighty Mouse, and Stipe are some OG Champions.

Interesting thing to note after tonight, thoughts?

Are we just disregarding Joanna’s multiple defences Prior to Rose and Bispings?

Are we just disregarding Joanna’s multiple defences Prior to Rose and Bispings?

I said "once the machine started to get behind her", she was successful in her defenses yes, but she didn't get the kind of marketing until the Rose fight, that's what I'm getting at. You watch all her pressers leading up the fight and they kept talking about Dana and the UFC finally getting behind her like they did Rhonda. That's the point of the thread, if you think this was a clever way to bash JJ, you're looking to deeply into it, I say what the hell I mean, once the UFC started getting behind her, she lost, not a rag on her, it's the truth.

The point of the thread was to show that those were the only Champions in recent memory to live up to or stop opponents with hype, not say the other's are bad.

Hendo had nowhere near the hype of GSP, so that shouldn't even be a factor either.

Wait, some people had Borg beating Mighty Mouse?

<Huh2>

Valentina had hype and Mandy Nunes defended! The LIONESS. :D

That's true, Cyborg as well, but Amanda doesn't have the UFC behind her, neither does Cyborg. But you're correct and I contemplated adding them, but I went with specific champions that either stopped UFC's hype trains or lived up to theirs.

Maia had a ton of hype going into the Woodley fight.....

Woodley beat Thompson, who was hyped to FUCK by Sherdog and the MMA community.

You’re saying ray borg had some hype behind him? Lol

People were mad at him for not taking the fight with TJ so people were saying they'd like to see Ray Borg, it's not necessarily the hype N'Gannou had, but people still wanted to see it happen and MM shut it down. I'm going off of what was discussed in numerous threads about the TJ/DJ controversy, not my own personal feelings about the fight.

Back